June 2015 Moms

Truth talk: Who is "one and done?"

Anyone thinking of just having one child? What are your reasons and response to those asking when you are having your next? For those with two, feel free to weigh in on your reasons for having a second child! This is a judgement free zone!! 

I will go first. It took us 7 years of marriage to work up the guts to have LO! We didn't know if we wanted children for most of our marriage. My husband and I were going to start trying next month for a second and after LO was up all night sick and teething the other day, it just hit me that I don't think I can do this again. Its all so hard. I mean I know he will be sick and I'll be up again but it just reminded me of those first few weeks and the emotional upheaval of life. The struggles of breastfeeding, wacked out hormones, getting the hang of motherhood, going back to work, etc. to be honest, I feel like I'm still mourning my former self. Becoming a mother is such an amazing blessed thing but it also wrecked me in some ways. I realize how selfish this sounds but ya truth talk

Re: Truth talk: Who is "one and done?"

• We still have plans on having another.  I was thinking that I would really like them close in age, but I am really enjoying my new found sleep schedule now that LO has started to STTN.  So now I am thinking we won't be trying for #2 until next year sometime.  I, like you @btm013, do not think i can do this all again starting again 9 months from now.  I want to enjoy this time with LO and focus on me a bit more too before we have another.  I have my annual exam next week and am going to look into some other type of BC besides the pill.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I just turned 34 last month, so I'm with you ladies.  We always assumed we'd have two, and that is still the plan, but we didn't realize how hard the first one would be...at this point, I still definitely want another one and DH would be equally happy stopping now or adding one.  Originally I planned to start trying again when DD turned 1, but instead we plan to NTNP until at least January.  Two reasons: one, I really believe adding a newborn to an almost-3-year-old would be easier than adding a newborn to a barely-2-year-old, and two (selfishly) I just pump weaned and got time to myself back, and I want to enjoy it for 6 months or so.  Going back to the gym is amazing.

At this point, ideally, we will start actively trying sometime between January and March, but if I just happen to get pregnant earlier while NTNP, that's cool too.  Getting pregnant without having to do the whole TRYING thing would be well worth pushing up our ideal timeline.

If for some reason I'm unable to have a second, I think I'd be fine with that too.  I have a much more chill outlook on #2.  If we have one great, if not I'll be at peace with it pretty quickly.  I'd really love DD to have a sibling, but she's pretty awesome so I can't complain!
  • 33 here too!  I'd like another.  A big reason is for LO to have a sibling.  Sure, companionship growing up, but mostly for adulthood.  Having someone else in the world to be there for you (hopefully, pending they are reasonable enough to get along OK at least) like when we're aging/senile parents and when we've passed away.

Because of age, I don't want to risk age becoming a big factor, so I don't want to wait a long time.  But I do want to savor this time where I can just focus on LO (experiencing all the firsts, etc).  Definitely not looking forward to less sleep again though.  I do wish I didn't have to feel like I was running against the clock.
  • The beefaroni cracked me up too. I had all plans of organic and homemade too and had that same thought today while he ate a poptart--the whole thing! Lol 
    im 31 and have those thoughts of man just 1 sure would be nice. my husband and I both have 3 siblings and he wants 3. Id be fine with 2. 
    I thought id be pregnant by now honestly but I'm enjoying the time just with one. 
    I sure hope he sleeps in his own bed by the time the next baby comes----which is probably why I'm not pregnant yet ha! 

• Oh yeah, has anyone else felt like they were cheating on their LOs when thinking of the possibility of another baby?  It felt really weird when I first starting thinking of the idea of another.
  • Oh yeah, has anyone else felt like they were cheating on their LOs when thinking of the possibility of another baby?  It felt really weird when I first starting thinking of the idea of another.

Yes, when I think about LO having to share me with another kid, I tear up.  But I think it's going to feel that way no matter how long we wait.  I figure it will be worth it for the benefit of having a sibling.  The first few years at least would be really hard though.
  • Not sure here. I'm likely one and done but part of me wants one more. I just don't think I can handle another. I was so sick my entire pregnancy and it's taken me a long time to recover from this one, I can't imagine doing it all over again. Now maybe if my LO actually STTN on a regular basis maybe I'd be more inclined to say yes to another! I'm almost 35 and do have ongoing health issues so that's my biggest concern. My doctors, however, pretty much are fine with me having another so it's not that I can't but I just can't decide if I want to. Physically and emotionally pregnancy and parenting a LO is hard on me.  DH says 1 because Of my medical issues and possible risk to the baby in utero. We'll think about it seriously once she turns 2. I'm 60% ok with one and done but 40% not sure.
  • We have 2 now with lo. We want to have 1 or 2 more. I guess the reason is just because we want a big family and lots of siblings. Our first 2 are 5 years apart because we were young when we had our first but I think we want lo and the next one to be around 3 years apart. 
  • mindaamindaa member
    Yes, we could likely be OAD. Agree, this parenting thing has kicked our butts and it's hard to imagine being even more stretched. I miss my former marriage a lot. We love travel and outdoor sports so with more kids, the harder it will be to keep up that lifestyle.
     We're also old (39), so we'd have to move soon and there is no baby fever going on. I'm crazy about Ds and really content with our little family of 3. 

I'm also really gun shy to let myself hope for another. I had trouble getting pregnant the first time, and that's not an experience I want to relive.

I've always seen myself adopting and dh and I have talked about it... But  we have no confidence that we're up for that, given how  Challenged we've been just by  Ds.

We haven't really been asked much about #2, probably our age. I'd probably respond with a pretty vague "oh, I don't know", and change the subject.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• We may be OAD. Although DH and I both have a sibling, we aren't super close to them so we don't have that pull. I also like the idea of having more resources/time for my child. If we did have another I'd at least want a lot of time in between and I'm 35. Then again nothing is set in stone. 
  • I kind of joke sometimes that I could be one and done. I had always thought I wanted two, and that was the original plan. I am one of two and my sister and I have always been quite close. I would love to have that for my daughter. 

The first year has been challenging with one to say the least. She hasn't been a great sleeper, and even though I had the chance to go part time when she was born I ended up quitting because I was so exhausted all the time. We keep saying we need her sleeping through the night before a sibling becomes an option. 

I am also approaching 33 and my husband is a few years older, so age becomes a factor. He doesn't want to be "too old" and I would like to try to avoid being considered higher risk just by being over 35 (I already will be a little higher risk since my first had to be a c-section). 

Starting to get a little baby fever though. I find myself reminiscing about how small she was as a newborn. I do miss it. I am more ready to want to spend time with someone else's kid. I need a friend to have another baby I can go visit. Not ready for another of my own. 
  • My husband is divorced and has one child that we have 50% of the time. When I met him he was willing to have just one more and I agreed bc I love him. Now that LO is here I would so badly love another. We are not for two reasons. He is 40 and feels too old for another. Then there is money. Our two cost a lot
  • I am very certain that I want two, but my husband is not 100% on board yet, so there is (a slim, I think) possibility that we are one and done.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • btm013btm013 member
    @princessbmw My sister, who now has four children, always maintains going from zero to one child is the hardest transition! I realized two very important things about myself after having a child. 1) I am a deeply selfish individual and you just can't be with a child and 2) I have very little patience haha. So, having a second would really test that right?! The sister with four kids (my other sister had three) says her key to survival is going into each day with the mindset that you can't win. And if you get a win or two a week then it's been a success!
  • We're definitely having another one. I was thinking we would wait until LO was a little over 2 but DH wants to start trying in a few months. So we are getting off of birth control soon and tracking my cycles until October. Then we will start actively trying. I'm really excited for LO to have a friend around and to watch them grow up together but I'm TERRIFIED! We're just hoping and praying for the best. Our transition into being parents was relatively easy for us and on our marriage (we were only married 3 months before I was pregnant). So let's hope it continues and we have another easy baby.
  • I always wanted to have more than one child. I think it's great for siblings to have each other to bond with and play with. Our ds was 18 months when we started trying again. I got my bfp about a month after his 2nd birthday. Then we found out we were having twins, and I was grateful that it took 6 months to happen! DS is old enough to help out. They're all very close right now, and I pray they'll always be that close. 

For those thinking one and done, you need to do what's right for your family. The only thing I can say is what I've been told by an only child. She's the mom of my sister in law. She lost both of her parents at a younger age. She told me that she had to do the funeral planning herself and figure out their estates herself. She told me she wouldn't wish that on her worst enemy. Now she's alone, with just her in-laws. No holidays with her family, no birthday parties, nothing. She always wished she had a sibling to share life's excitement and burdens with. Again, everyone needs to do what is right for their family, this is just the feelings of an only child I know. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I can't wait I have another LO! One of our friends new girlfriend came over last night and she kept going on and on about how expensive kids are and should do like she did and only have one. I politely told her a few times that our LO won't be an only child. I shouldn't have to explain myself to her and I was getting really frustrated. Our friend told her to let it go b/c he wants us to have another, he also has one and he just graduated from high school. Me personally I couldn't imagine only having one. However, I didn't have any complications during my pregnancy or delivery.  Maybe that would change my mind. I do distinctly recall during one really hard contraction stating that we are one and done though. Ha
  • 33 over here too! I'm not getting any sleep so I figure might as well have #2 since I'm used to it now. I do want LO to have a sibling and this is why I definitely want another. I'll definitely be more chill with #2! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• My girlfriend made a good comment to me the other day when we were talking about having more kids, she said " you will never regret having a child but you might regret not having one" I have twins and seeing the bond between them is unreal, I couldn't imagine just having one. I always felt sorry for only children but that's just my feelings. 
  • HoosOnFirstHoosOnFirst member
    edited August 2016
    @klirwin82 I loved your post!

I wasn't sure I wanted kids at all, but DH definitely did. But we agreed that if we had one, we'd have two, because we would like LO to have a sibling. 

I just turned 34 and DH is worried we are both getting too old so I think we will try starting next spring.

Full disclosure, I really did not enjoy the first four months of babyhood. At all. Turns out I had PPD. So I'm certainly wary of going through childbirth and infancy again but I think I'll be better prepared next time. But if for some reason we can't get pregnant again, I won't be too upset about it.