September 2015 Moms
Options

First PP Period?

For those of you who have had their cycle return; what was your first post partum period like? 

Im still breastfeeding about 5 times a day and pump twice to build a freezer stash for daycare. The other day I thought my cycle was returning but it was very light, only lasted a few hours, and nothing since. 

Is this a sign of things starting up again? Is there any chance I ovulated and this is implantation spotting?

Re: First PP Period?

• Options
    My cycle returned at 5 months PP. Right away my supply dipped. A lot. Things got worse and worse. Still breastfeeding but supplementing with other fluids (nutmilks and camel milk). Ovulation and PMS make it so I have barely any milk so that's always a sign for me that something is going on. 

My firsf PP period was light but still a normal period. More than spotting for sure and lasted a few days. I've been fairly regular since with about a 26 day cycle. I was always 24-26 days. Only difference is I no longer get cramps. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    I just got my pp period and I think my supply is dropping :( I don't bottle feed so I have no idea, but LO is feeding more and I don't feel as full. This first period has lasted 9 days now and is finally coming to an end. I had a lot of clots, not like pp, but more than usual.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Period at 9 months pp. It was much lighter than typical and lasted only 2-3 days. I'm actually due for it and it hasn't come. No complaining! 

No noticeable dip in supply but I pretty much feed on demand and am around her all the time so maybe that helped?
  • Options
    Finally got mine back right at about 10 months pp.  And of course, it was RIGHT when we left for the airport to go to Costa Rica for a week at a beach house with the kids!  It was also one of the worst periods everrrr; like 10 days of ridiculously heavy bleeding.
    I'd stopped BF right about a month before, so in hindsight maybe I should have seen it coming.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    I got my first pp period at 5 months, and have had it regularly since (although my cycle lengths have been all over from 27 days to more than 40). They have lasted the usual 5 days with lighter than usual flow, but not as light as your experience. However, a few weeks ago I did spot for a few days but never enough to wear a pad even ... I thought it was a super light period, but then got my "real" period a few weeks later, so now I think that was just breakthrough mid-cycle spotting.

I am also still breastfeeding. I've read that irregular periods and mid-cycle spotting are common when you're breastfeeding due to the fluctuating hormones, so my guess is it's just a hormone thing. I'm not expecting my period to get fully back to normal until I wean completely. 

I will say when I did get my period back, I started having supply issues every month for a few weeks from the time of ovulation through my period arriving. It was a noticeable drop in supply (and I had oversupply prior to getting my period back), so much so that I had to start supplementing with one bottle of formula a day at 10 months because I couldn't keep up no matter what I tried. So if it is your period, count yourself lucky it stayed away for this long!