November 2015 Moms
Options

The Diaper Rash from Hell

Penelope has had a faint pink rash on her little butt crack off and on since April. It would go away for a little while and then come back, but it never really looked too bad. It came back and nothing has worked this time. I've tried coconut oil with lavender, A&D, Aquaphor (the cream and the paste), Destin, Vaseline, naked tummy time, baking soda baths, you name it I've tried it. I change her diaper every hour and always apply Aauaphor Vaseline as a barrier even when she doesn't have a rash. I went to the doctor for it a week and a half ago and they said it was a yeast rash and prescribed an antifungal cream. It didn't work so I called back and the nurse asked me to describe it and said it doesn't sound like a yeast rash and called in a prescription for magic butt cream. It started looking better, but tonight it's worse! It's bright red and she's starting to get little bumps. I'm obviously going to take her back to the pedi tomorrow, but I'm seriously losing faith in them. Does anyone have any suggestions that I haven't tried? I'm up for Old Wives voodoo or standard medicine. 

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this ridiculously long post!

Re: The Diaper Rash from Hell

• Options
    What about triple paste? That always works for us. Hope your LO gets rid of that rash soon! 
  • Options
    elbouelbou member
    This may sound like a silly question, but what are you using to wipe her bump with when you change her? Sometimes when a diaper rash is really bad the soap/cleansing ingredients in the wipes can aggravate little bottoms even if they didn't cause any problems before. Try rinsing the soap out of your wipes before changes if you are using commercial wipes, or try a very soft cloth with water instead of wipes while the rash persists. 

We also had good luck with the Sudocrem brand of diaper cream when our littles have had bad rashes. However, I don't think we have ever had to deal with a rash quite as bad as you're describing, so that may or may not help. Good luck mama....this too shall pass!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MoRay05 said:
    What about triple paste? That always works for us. Hope your LO gets rid of that rash soon! 
    I second triple paste!  DS had a nasty rash at one point no after what we did and Triple Paste is all that would clear him up.  Good luck
  • Options
    We're using Huggies Natural wipes. I'll definitely switch to just a wash cloth with water and pick up some Triple Paste. Thanks, ladies!
  • Options
    We're using Huggies Natural wipes. I'll definitely switch to just a wash cloth with water and pick up some Triple Paste. Thanks, ladies!
    When LO was 6 weeks old, he got a horrible diaper rash.  We wiped him with Water Wipes because he would scream with Pampers Sensitive Wipes.  We used Aquaphor (Vaseline and their version of the Diaper rash cream) and Babyganics vaseline.  That worked.  LO is so sensitive that any diaper cream but those two would give him a horrible rash (bumps, severe redness).  
    Fast forward to 2 weeks ago.  He had another bad diaper rash.  On top of using the products mentioned above, after each diaper change,  we let his bum air out for about 5 min.  I would place a towel on his privates to avoid being peed on and with a magazine or a hand fan, I pointed it to his butt and "send" some air.  Within a week, he was back to normal.  Hope this helps.
  • Options
    When my daughter had a yeast rash our pediatrician had us use Lotrimin which is actually for foot fungus but it cleared it right up. 
  • Options
    Our yeast rash was markedly improved after one application of lotrimin. So if you're not seeing quick improvement, it probably isn't a yeast rash. I second using water only for wiping and lots of fresh air!
  • Options
    ckeateckeate member
    I also agree with changing up the wipes. My daughter had the same problem and we tried everything and it ended up being the wipes. Bee were using pampers sensitive wipes at the time. Hope it clears up soon for your little one!
  • Options
    We went back to the pedi today. They said it isn't a yeast rash and that it isn't that bad. It only seems bad because she's had it for so long. She said that she's just going to have a little rash from wearing a diaper and that's okay?! Whaaaaat.... Idk about that it just doesn't feel right. I think the magic butt cream was making it worse because it has a gritty texture that irritated the rash.
  • Options
    It might be heat rash.  Some kids are incredibly sensitive.  My former step daughter had to have her hair up all the time during the summer or she'd get it on her neck. 
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    My first son used to get really bad diaper rashes because he was on this special formula that gave him direhhea.  Anyway, after many struggles with it, I realized that simply an application of cortizone rubbed in 2-3 times a day (I did it once before bed and once he woke up) plus the aquaphor (I used the babyganics protective oiment but I think it is similar) and the rash went away in a matter of days.  (I used the ointment every time I changed the diaper)  I don't think you should used it long-term, so if it hasn't improved and gone away after 7-10 days, then I would say it didn't work for your little one.  My current little guy has only had 2 diaper rashes in his 8 months, but I nipped it in the bud right away with cortizone and ointment and the rash never got bad.
  • Options
    Desitin Maximum Strength worked for us.  Applied very very thick, like you're icing a cake.  And I patted her butt with a Gerber cloth diaper before applying to dry it first.

Have you tried switching diaper brands?  Or switching to cloth?  I know it can be a major PITA laundry-wise, and it limits what creams you can use, but supposedly cloth diapered butts have much fewer instances of rash.

What's your LO eating these days?  Might not have started it, but some solids (acidic things like tomatoes and strawberries, milk products) can cause wicked rash, might indicate an allergy/intollerance.  My kiddo can't have most brands of pouches bc the lemon juice/ascorbic acid used to preserve most of them gives her a nasty rash.
  • Options
    Desitin Maximum Strength worked for us.  Applied very very thick, like you're icing a cake.  And I patted her butt with a Gerber cloth diaper before applying to dry it first.

Have you tried switching diaper brands?  Or switching to cloth?  I know it can be a major PITA laundry-wise, and it limits what creams you can use, but supposedly cloth diapered butts have much fewer instances of rash.

What's your LO eating these days?  Might not have started it, but some solids (acidic things like tomatoes and strawberries, milk products) can cause wicked rash, might indicate an allergy/intollerance.  My kiddo can't have most brands of pouches bc the lemon juice/ascorbic acid used to preserve most of them gives her a nasty rash.
    I was just logging on to say that I couldn't find Triple Paste, but I did find Desitin Maximum Strength and it has helped a ton. Thanks for helping everyone!