Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Nap Time- Help

Hi,

I'm a FTM, my 8 months old son is having a hard time napping during the day. He usually wakes up at 6AM and we tried to give him 2 naps- one around 9-10AM ish and one in the afternoon around 3PM. The problem is this, every time before his naps, we have to either put in him in the car and/or stroller and go around the block for him to fall asleep. Once he is asleep, we come back and put him in a swing. Sometimes, he will sleeps only in the swing. Other times, when we put him in the swing, that will wakes him up and he would not go back to sleep no matter what we tried (rocking him, putting him in crib). He will only go back to sleep unless we put in back in car/stroller.

I need help, I don't want to relied on car/stroller and swing. I tried to just put him in his crib and let him CIO, but somehow he will not sleep and would cries for hours. He has no problem rocking himself to sleep at night time when I put him in the crib right away after his bedtime feeding. I don't know what to do. My husband theory is that the crib works at night because the room is dark while during daytime, the room is bright due to the sun (even when we close all blinds, turn off light, close door, etc). We would like my son to be able to fall asleep anywhere (mat, crib, bed, etc) when he is tired. Any suggestion or advice that works for your LO?

Thanks

Re: Nap Time- Help

• Your baby sounds a lot like mine was. I had to do CIO. 

Have you read Ferber? There's more to it than just letting them cry in their cribs until they exhaust themselves. 

Not going to lie, it was really hard. She would go to sleep at night without issue but naps were a nightmare. It took about a week (5 days) for the crying to subside, but now she takes two naps a day beautifully. 

You have to know your baby and CIO isn't right for everyone, but it worked for us. My advice is to read up on Ferber and give it another go. 
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • I used a modified Ferber method as well and it's worked. There are times when my LO won't nap in her crib and so I get her out and try again 30 minutes later. Your LO might also be overtired and could be resisting naps due to that. Of course you know your baby best and every baby is different, but from what I've read 2.5-3 hours should be the maximum wake period at this stage, and the first wake period of the day should be closer to 2 hours. It's a lot of trial and error. My LO also wakes at 6AM. She used to go down for her first nap at 8, but then she started laying in her crib jabbering to herself or fussing depending on her mood, until 8:30. I then started putting her down at 8:30 and now she usually falls asleep in my arms and I can put her down asleep. 

I would just be consistent and follow a routine very similar to the bedtime routine you're using. If you don't want to shell out the money for blackout blinds because you're not sure if they're necessary then you could always try putting some cardboard, or something behind the blinds during nap time for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference.

It will take some hard work, but it will pay off. You've got this!
  • Loading the player...
  • We have thin curtains in our nursery, and I hung a fitted sheet around the blinds to make them more like blackout curtains. It does NOT look fancy... but it did the trick! Do you have a noisemaker? That has really helped my little guy. 

I agree with pp about being overtired. I didn't used to pay much attention to his 'cues,' and it was a nightmare to get him to go down. Now, at the first eye-rub, I scoop him up and head for a nap! Also agree to try to mirror your bedtime routine as much as possible if he doesn't have trouble going to sleep at that time. 

Good luck!
  • I agree that you should try modified CIO, if you're not opposed to it. I've read that indeed night time sleep is different from nap sleep. They are more wakable during naps since napping is for a shorter period of time. I do think 3pm is a little late for an afternoon nap so he may be overtired. From what I've read, sleep training recommendations and consultants say to try to get them down around 9am and then 1pm.
  • I just wanted to address your comment about the room being too bright. I think there is something to this as well. We ended up putting up a blackout window shade that suctions to the window (ordered online from Wal-Mart, it was cheap), and I keep the blinds closed and use blackout curtains as well. That room is a dark, cool cave all the time! And we use white noise (super loud). It's on 24/7. My LO transitioned from having to be held or being in the swing to crib napping at 6 months, and it's been a life changer for us! Wishing you a lot of luck.
  • angelicac06angelicac06 member
    edited July 2016
    I am also of the opinion that baby could be overtired and that working against you. My LO will be 8 months in a couple of weeks also wakes up at 6 am and has his first nap around 8 am willingly. I know all babies are different but most professionals state around this age 2-3 hour awake periods. Anymore and they're running on fumes and will resist sleep. My son has never put himself to sleep and I am not interested in sleep training. I let him lead, start at 2 hours from being awake to nurse him laying down. 
  • I saw blackout curtains at target for about$10 a panel you might try those. I think the bright room might be a problem. It's worth a try. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012