February 2017 Moms
Options

Abnormal pap with Positive HPV

The nurse from my OBGYN called earlier today to let me know my pap came back with abnormal cells and positive for HPV so I'm having a colposcopy/biopsy done now at my next appointment.

The nurse in me is freaking out even though I probably shouldn't be. Anyone have these results before and their colposcopy and biopsy come out fine?

Re: Abnormal pap with Positive HPV

• Options
    I just had a colposcopy done two months ago and I did end up needing a biopsy. The biopsy came back as "level 1" so thankfully no other action was needed. I think my doctor said most people will have that result (or not even need a biopsy done in the first place) so I would try not to worry too much. But I know from experience that is easier said than done!
  • Options
    The exact same thing happened to me but my results came back normal. I was really freaked out about it too
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a colposcopy 2 years ago and they did a biopsy. Everything ended up fine. It does suck because you bleed a lot after but honestly I know quite a few women who have had them for abnormal cells and they all turned out as just irregular cells. So try your best not to stress I'm sure it will be fine ❤️
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I had a HPV+ result and needed a colposcopy about a year ago. Everything looked okay, with the suggestion that I check back in 2 years. It was nothing to worry about. I'm sure you're fine! Even if they did find cancerous cells, which they won't, when you catch it super early, it sounds like there is very little risk of it becoming dangerous. Don't fret! :) I don't know many women who haven't had an irregular pap. HPV is just super prevalent.
  • Options
    You can add me to the list too. The colposcopy came back low-grade or something (it was a few years ago and I don't remember exactly) and my next pap was normal! I get paps more often for a while as a result, just to be sure. I think the normal one was 6 months after colpo and then yearly after that. Not sure when I'm back to every 3 years. 
  • Options
    I had colposcopy several years ago and based on that they thought there might be cancerous cells and needed a LEEP procedure. After the procedure they discovered no cancerous cells after all.  But as others have said, its super common and even if you need further treatment (in most cases it resolves itself on its own) they hopefully will catch it soon enough not too worry.  The colposcopy itself is not super fun, but its only 5 minute procedure.  It goes by quick. 
    About me: 
    Me 35, DH 36 (Unexplained Infertility, possible PCOS) TTC for 3.5 years. 
    10 clomid cycles (TI & IUI with ovidrel triggers - all BFN). 
    *Loss mentioned & Trigger warning
    #1 IVF May 2015- resulted in 15 5-day Blasts - SET (fresh) with BFP. Ectopic Preg @ 5w2d, treated with Methotrexate.
    #2 FET, Sept. 2015, SET MC@8 wks with D&C in November 2015. 
    13 remaining blasts sent for PGS testing.  1 did not survive the thaw. 6 came back normal from PGS. 
    #3 FET 5/16/16 SET - BFP 5/20/16 Beta's looked great and so did ultrasounds- officially released to my OB! EDD 2/1/17.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have also had a colposcopy come back normal. I know it's scary but hang in there. It is very common and more often then not turns out fine, especially with early detection. 
  • Options
    That happened to me a few years ago. The colposcopy came back normal. My paps still come back abnormal but negative for hpv which I'm told is ok. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    I had a colposcopy and it came back high risk. 6 months later everything was gone. My paps have all been normal since (knock on wood). Try not to worry too much even if the colposcopy gives you unwanted news!
  • Options
    VastraVastra member
    This is super duper common (see: this thread alone!) I had a normal pap with positive HPV (pretty much everyone gets exposed at one point or another) and the follow-up showed that the HPV had cleared on its own and the pap was still normal. I don't blame you for being freaked out! I actually got super dizzy at my desk when I got the first results email. I think it sounds much more alarming than it actually is. FX that all your tests and follow ups go smoothly. I'm sure they will. 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    I had a colposcopy too, which came back normal and nothing else needed to be done.  I had to get paps more often after that for the next year.  Everything was normal.

• Options
    Count me as one who has had this before as well. Abnormal PAP, HPV+...had a colposcopy/biopsy and it came back low grade. My doc had me come back in 6 months and by that time everything was normal again! I know it's scary, but try to stay calm. The odds of everything being fine are much higher than something being wrong.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aecmaecm member
    Yup yup yup - I had an abnormal PAP about a year and a half ago, HPV+ with a high risk strain, I freaked out unnecessarily, and had to get a colposcopy / biopsy (my recommendation: it hurt worse AFTER the procedure b/c I started cramping, so take someone with you to drive you home). Results came back fine, and a year later I had a normal PAP and was HPV- so yeah....don't freak out. Chances are you're going to be just fine. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    jab3-2jab3-2 member
    Yes I had everything turn out fine after having abnormal paps and testing positive for HPV.
  • Options
    So I'm super confused now. I had a pap when I first met my husband that came back positive for hpv (8years ago) I was 19 and devastated because the nurse telling me over the phone made it sound like a death sentence and I had just started seeing my husband. I was never brought in for the test you are describing and none of my papa since then have come back positive. The doc said it would never go away, but it's never affected any of my children from my knowledge. Is it weird that the doc didn't have me get that procedure done when she said I was positive for hpv? I' switched docs after that because her demeanor was way off course for me. 

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not totally sure, but perhaps you were positive for hpv, but had a regular pap. If the pap was normal there wouldn't have been a need for a colposcopy I would think. But also as far as I know many strains of hpv clear up with no further complications.