May 2016 Moms

Books

So I picked up a few board books recently, and have been reading them to Em before bed. The ones with a rhyming rhythm are her favorites - she loves falling asleep to Goodnight Moon! She also likes Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, There Was An Old Lady Who Seallowed A Fly, and Five Little Monkeys Jumping On The Bed. Anybody else have a LO who likes being read to, and if so, what books are you reading? I'm looking to expand my collection, and would love to hear your favorites! 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Books

• arj14arj14 member
    Yeah... I have to say the hardest part about being back at work at the library is I keep finding books to bring home!  I've been back two days and I think I've got a stack of at least fifteen so far.  The only two I've read to S so far is a woodland animal board book that I can't remember the title of right now, and today I read her The Princess and the Pony by Kate Beaton (she does the webcomic Hark! A Vagrant).  We have a bunch more, but some of them are big collections of books that would be hard to hold and hold her at the same time (Little Critter, Curious George, and 5-Minute Star Wars stories are a few).

I'm also waiting for a used copy of Little Kitten Finds the Moon to come in the mail, since the cat has the same name as ours I of course had to get it!
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We love reading to Pollie, she already has a huge library. We read all your classic ones to her but my favorite to read to her is Degas and the Little Dancer, it's a story about the little girl behind Edgar Degas' Little Dancer sculpture. I'm hoping to get her more by that author, Laurence Anholt, because he has other famous pieces of art that he writes children's books about 
  • DS2 is read to a lot since we read with DS1 often. DS1's favorites to read together are The Brementown Musicians, Stella Nona, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, a $ bin Cars colors book (I love Target's Pixar board books), and recently If You Give a Dog a Donut. Sometimes DS1 narrates the Look and Find books while he's playing with those (which is hilarious). :) We've been playing with some texture books too.
  • yogahhyogahh member
    We read "I love you through and through" a lot. Others in the rotation are "the giving tree", "Harry the dirty dog" and "green eggs and ham".

I recently found a book about manners at BJs that I plan on incorporating when she is a bit older and can understand.

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:
    We read "I love you through and through" a lot. Others in the rotation are "the giving tree", "Harry the dirty dog" and "green eggs and ham".

I recently found a book about manners at BJs that I plan on incorporating when she is a bit older and can understand.
    I love Harry the Dirty Dog! We read that often too!
  • We read some Pete the Cat books and I read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie to her the other day. I am a teacher/reading interventionist so I have tons of books. 
  • Kiss the baby seems to be really good so far since it is black and white...plus I think it's really cute lol.  We have already started 1000 books before kindergarten.   W have probably read 50 already lol...i read aloud to her what I'm reading too (good thing she doesn't know what zombies are lol)
  • he LOVES little blue truck!!! And I think it's super cute too ;-) 
  • Kit&Cat said:
    he LOVES little blue truck!!! And I think it's super cute too ;-) 

This is one of our favorites too!
  • Ainsley LOVES this board book called Haiku Baby. Another favorite board book is Plant A Kiss. I also like M is for Mitten (a Michigan alphabet book, but they have other states), In My Heart and Grady the Goose. I'm a big fan of poetry and often read some of my books to her.
  • I have my son "read" Look Look! to her when I need him to chill for a few minutes. She actually pays attention to that one because of the high contrast pictures, and I think it's hilarious that he basically has it memorized. I'm also a teacher so I have way too many books, but they're all in storage right now so we have just been reading whatever weird books from the 80s that we find at Grandma's house, which is bringing back memories!
  • DH and I brought Pollie to the library today and we got library cards since we hadn't gotten them since moving and asked to get her one too. The guy was like well she can't read but I guess if you want to read to her. I nicely smiled and said that was the plan and that we read to her every night. He then said he guessed he could get her one. He seemed so surprised to hear we read to her already, wouldn't you think a librarian would encourage that and not find it weird?
  • Kiss the baby seems to be really good so far since it is black and white...plus I think it's really cute lol.  We have already started 1000 books before kindergarten.   W have probably read 50 already lol...i read aloud to her what I'm reading too (good thing she doesn't know what zombies are lol)
    1KB4K is an awesome program! Our library hosts an event for it every year - last year was a circus theme - and the little kids had a blast. I need to get Em signed up!

NinnyJean said:
    DH and I brought Pollie to the library today and we got library cards since we hadn't gotten them since moving and asked to get her one too. The guy was like well she can't read but I guess if you want to read to her. I nicely smiled and said that was the plan and that we read to her every night. He then said he guessed he could get her one. He seemed so surprised to hear we read to her already, wouldn't you think a librarian would encourage that and not find it weird?
    A librarian should know better than to be surprised at that - you can never get them started too early with reading. And who does he think board books are made for anyway? Maybe he wasn't a librarian, but just a desk tech - you don't have to have a degree to work the circulation desk...
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @amberraysofdawn you know there is an app for it, it really helps you keep track!  I've already read close to 50 different books to Ellie!
  • arj14arj14 member
    NinnyJean said:
    DH and I brought Pollie to the library today and we got library cards since we hadn't gotten them since moving and asked to get her one too. The guy was like well she can't read but I guess if you want to read to her. I nicely smiled and said that was the plan and that we read to her every night. He then said he guessed he could get her one. He seemed so surprised to hear we read to her already, wouldn't you think a librarian would encourage that and not find it weird?
    I think that's weird even if he's not an actual librarian (I work in libraries but I'm not one either, just a lowly peon).  I've had plenty of parents ask what the age limit is to get a card, and the answer in our system is "parent's discretion".  The only reason I haven't gotten S a library card is DH thinks it's silly (but what does he know) and I kind of like the idea of having her get one when she's old enough to know she's getting one.  Some kids get so excited and it's super adorable.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • azza79azza79 member
    I love reading my LO Llama Llama Red Pjama at bed time. It has a great rhyming rythm
  • yogahh said:

***STUCK***

I love the giving tree but for the life of me I can not read it without crying.  MH had never heard of it so I was just telling him about the story in the book and I lost it.  Honestly I am not a big emotional crier but there are a few things that always get me . . .Dumbo when he says bye to his mom, Bambi when he turns around to look for his mom after shes been shot, The movie Imitation of Life and that darn book are my biggest triggers!
  • vinerievinerie member
    edited July 2016
    yogahh said:

Oh my goodness...I can't read that book without crying! It's got to be the saddest book ever. We have it, too. I also read The Velveteen Rabbit...and have also shed some tears while reading that one, too! 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• So the giving tree doesn't make me cry because even though I have a lot of childhood nostalgia for it, every time I read it as an adult it always reads like a parable about being in a relationship with an abuser! The one that always makes me cry is I'll Love You Forever, which I know is also a pretty weird book because c'mon what mom in her right mind is gonna climb up a ladder into her adult son's house? But when she's dying at the end and he rocks her, I just weep. Every time. 
  • I have so many kids books in the nursery ready to be read... And I just keep reading Sierra whatever book I'm reading for myself, out loud to her when I'm nursing. At first I was reading the kids books to her, but since she wasn't responding directly to them (except for Look! Look!), it wasn't very fun for me, so I figured I could just read her anything and get the benefit of her hearing my voice for now.

So when did you guys notice your babies reacting or responding more to the books when you read them? Or seem like they enjoyed the pictures? Sierra's 5.5 weeks now, so I'm wondering if I should switch back to the kids books for her soon. 
  • @Bellodomani, you know I think what makes that story sadder is that the author wrote it about his own lost child I think.  Either through miscarriage or when he was really young I think.  Makes it 100 times more sadder.

The story that makes me cry is the crippled lamb...it's a Christmas story, but he doesn't think he could do anything, but in the end he could keep the baby Jesus warm...so sweet!
  • Hello ninja. Dragons love tacos. Sheep in a Jeep. 

I like silly books because  they are fun to read. I can't tell if Lark is having fun but she usually is quiet for story time. Little owl night is another good one with high contrast pictures.
  • I've mentioned this a bunch, but the book that makes me cry is "On the night you were born". So sweet! 
  • For any religious folks...the whole "God Gave Us" series is incredible but definitely brings the tears. It took me 2 months of reading "God Gave Us You" every night to finally get through to without crying. 
  • My little one loves when I read/sing along with The Wheels on the Bus. She also likes I Love You to the Moon and Back, Goodnight Moon, and On The Night You Were Born.
  • So because of this thread I spent  $40 on children's books on amazon last night....and today we went and got our library cards...
  • edited July 2016
    Aquinna82 said:
    So because of this thread I spent  $40 on children's books on amazon last night....and today we went and got our library cards...
    As a former library staff member, this makes me SO HAPPY :love::star: 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I read with both girls at night before bed so DD2 gets more subjected to big sis' books. We do Dolly Parton's Library for both girls. They send you age appropriate books every month. I'll add Fancy Nancy books, Llama Llama books, and Little Critter books are huge in our house.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)