September 2016 Moms
Options

Peanut Ball vs Exercise Ball

I'm thinking of having a peanut ball or exercise ball in the car in case someone else is using them at the hospital.  Did anyone prefer one over the other?  If I don't use them Ill return them, but if I buy the peanut ball I really don't think I'll use it after delivery at all, lol.  That thing is odd looking.

Re: Peanut Ball vs Exercise Ball

• Options
    seitzy3seitzy3 member
    edited July 2016
    I used both. Well I used the exercise ball at home not the hospital. My hospital provides birthing balls and peanut balls, so maybe check to see if yours does before you pack them? 

Anyway, after 15 minutes of using the peanut ball I was ready to push. I can't say for sure if it completely helped baby out because of my
    position but I'd like to think so. I'll be using it this time around if I need too :) 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    My hospital also provides both so i also recommend seeing if yours has them available to you!  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My hospital provides exercise balls, but no peanut balls; definitely a weird looking contraption but perhaps comfortable? My midwife told me to buy my own exercise ball because apparently the ones at my local hospital are notorious for deflating or breaking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Turns out my doula will bring an exercise ball, so I need to see how the hospital does with their peanut balls.  I don't mind having one ready in case I need it.  Actually, I should just prime one closer to my deliver date so it's just done and ready, I hate the unknown!
  • Options
    ajn092ajn092 member
    I'd never heard of a peanut ball until this post.  After looking on Amazon and Google it looks like a good option for once you've had an epidural and are stuck in bed.  For less than $20 why not?
    Me - 33  DH - 36
    DD 10/4/02
    DS due 9/28/16

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I am registering for both. My hospital does have them, but on the hospital tour it sounded like they are always in high demand and they don't have enough for everyone. I love to feed and rock my sister's boys on an exercise ball so I definitely want one.

• Options
    @ajn092 I don't think you use it in bed though....
  • Options
    ajn092ajn092 member
    @RN1stBae really? This is what I found. Do you sit on it like a regular birth ball?

*mobile bumping*

https://www.scienceandsensibility.org/blog/peanut-balls-for-labor-a-valuable-tool-for-promoting-progress
    Me - 33  DH - 36
    DD 10/4/02
    DS due 9/28/16

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Ooohhhh!!! That make sense!!! I've seen some bigger ones that you sit on and kind of lean forward and stuff! 
  • Options
    I used a regular exercise ball during delivery and it definitely helped to find a comfortable position other than leaning over the bed (standing) or walking.  But word to the wise, if you end up needing a "foley bulb" to help with dilating, do not sit on the exercise ball.  It's absolutely excruciating.  I never found a comfortable way to use the peanut ball while lying down.