February 2017 Moms
Options

Home birth, birth centre or hospital?

2»

Re: Home birth, birth centre or hospital?

• Options
    cinderin said:
    second time mom advice from a breech / c/s first time mom:

don't got too married to / hung up on everything going according to "plan" in regard to the birth. I think we spend too much time / give it too much emphasis sometimes. birth is a couple hours / maybe a couple days, being a mom is the rest of your life. 

healthy baby, healthy mama, that's the goal. stay focused on that. 

it is well to plan and immagine, but know that circumstances change, and even if it's a c/s, that's ok. 
    This is great advice. 

Main my L&D class as a FTM, they gave us note cards with different preferences for our delivery. Ex: Unmedicated, use of vacuum, induction, c-section, etc etc. one card just said "healthy mom and baby". They had us eliminate cards 2-3 at a time, saying eliminate what is currently least important to you. By the time we had eliminated all but one card, everyone obviously chose healthy mom and healthy baby. In the end, that's all that matters. 
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Hospital. I will be attempting my second vbac assuming I don't grow another giant, given the inherent risks of a vbac,  my midwives don't give any options.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MalyJMalyJ member
    Hospital. The process to which a healthy baby is in my arms isn't really all that important to me personally. As long as we are both healthy. Plus, I'll most likely have a RCS.

• Options
    I will be going back to the same hospital I went to last time. I really liked my nurse and Its a very nice hospital. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Samuel Jacob 
    Due 2/16/17

• Options
    I want to have a vac birth, since I had placenta previa with my first and could not even be given the opportunity.

• Options
  • Options
    Hospital. I was able to have a med-free birth there with a great midwife!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    kjd291kjd291 member
    Birth center attached to hospital with midwifes. Contemplating water birth.  HATE insurance/I'd do a home birth, but they won't cover anything 
  • Options
    Hospital. My sister is an L&D nurse. Had HELLP with my first. I'm carrying twins. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited July 2016
    Hospital, my gyno  works with a particular  hospital in our area. I have already been in the birthing part of that hospital with my mc and they did a good job with a bad situation. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    I would have preferred a home birth, but we're in an apartment and I don't think our neighbors would appreciate that. So we're going with a birth center with midwives - not attached to a hospital, but only about 2 minutes away from one. Hoping for a natural water birth if all goes well!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would have preferred a home birth, but we're in an apartment and I don't think our neighbors would appreciate that. So we're going with a birth center with midwives - not attached to a hospital, but only about 2 minutes away from one. Hoping for a natural water birth if all goes well!! 
    I am a birth photographer and have photographed dozens of births in apartments in the last 9 years.  People do it all the time! =)
    Expecting #5
    Rainbow baby after 3 losses
    Due February, 2017

• Options
    I'm having a rcs but plan to do it myself like in Prometheus. 

Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hospital for me! Close and they have a NICU just in case (my sister is a NICU Nurse/as is FIL).

My practice had 3 midwives and 2 doctors. So I see everyone. But at birth I generally have the midwife by my side. I just LOVE these midwives!
  • Options
    VastraVastra member
    Hospital*. I switched OBs when I moved, and the practice I go to has sort of a rotating roster. So far it's 2 for 2 on awesome docs, especially the second one, who is a little bit older, was my age when she had her second, and with whom I immediately clicked. If I have any choice in who actually delivers, I'd pick her in a second. 
    *Though every now and then I like to freak out DH by threatening to have the baby at home. "How easy do you think it is to get blood out of the new rug?" "Hmm, we're gonna have to get this tub drain snaked before February."
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    I'll be having another c-section so it's the hospital for me.
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Hospital.

I had a home birth that transfered last time, and it was a pretty bad experience - I had no idea what was going on from the time we arrived at the hospital until we were discharged. Part of that was that I was pretty distressed when we got there and the baby was born in bad shape, but more of it was that I didn't have any context for a hospital birth. I'm hoping that tours and orientations and having my own OB there will make it less alien and confusing. 
  • Options
    Considering my last two with the last one ending up in a c-section, probably a hospital. Plus, I'll probably want drugs. I really want a vbac, I'm hoping I can get it.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • Options
    jab3-2jab3-2 member
    Hospital