August 2016 Moms
Options

Shaving down there??

I'm 36 weeks pregnant with my first baby. At last appointment, I was given a sheet saying not to shave my "lower abdomen /bikini zone" for the remainder of my pregnancy, because if I have a c section I have a higher chance of infection if I have tears in my skin due to shaving. I'm confused because I've done some research online and it looks like many people kept shaving up until their due date. I'm going to ask my doctor about this at my next appointment but just wanted to know what people on here have to say. Thanks!

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Re: Shaving down there??

• Options
    StarLiteKissStarLiteKiss member
    edited July 2016
  • Options
    Ummmm k thanks bye (:
  • Options
    That's what I thought too! I'm thinking they might ' ve just given me that to cover their a**, but it's not something you have to follow. As long as I'm careful it should be fine I would think
  • Options
    I have no idea, they haven't even really talked to me about a c-section. I'm going to ask at my appointment tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Thank you! That's what I'm hoping to hear. So far it's only been a week and I'm not loving it lol...
  • Options
    The "no shaving before surgery" rule is actually pretty standard hospital procedure. It does increase the risk of infection - in OR's (for any kind of surgery that cuts through hairy areas) they use clippers, not razors, so there's not the risk of tiny nicks in the skin.
    Just fyi!
  • Options
    I had a CS with my 1st and they never told me that. I am 35 weeks now with #2 and having another CS (different doctor, different hospital) and was not told that either... at least yet.
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• Options
    I'm having a repeat C-section, but I've been shaving and don't plan to stop, and I didn't last time either, though it wasn't planned.  I can't really see what I'm doing when I shave there, but it's summer and there's risk of that area possibly showing when I'm in a bathing suit, so not shaving is not an option.  My OB will just need to be super duper extra special clean.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    There's no way I'm going to stop altogether, but I might forego that last shave before going to the hospital, so that if I did cut myself at all, those wounds should be healed or closed before a C section or any other medical intervention.  But given all the chaos that is happening in that area of the body, I'm not sure it would make a difference... 
  • Options
    I have seen numerous surgeries get cancelled due to minor tears in the skin/increased susceptibility to infections.  Most doctors do not say anything because either they forget and most people are low risk anyway.  I would not recommend shaving for those that are scheduled for a C-section.  Recommend a clean electric trimmer/clipper with a new blade over a razor if you cannot help yourself.  Electric clipper is what is approved for use in the operating room.