January 2016 Moms

CIO Questions

Hey Mamas,

LO has a strong nursing/rocking-to-sleep association. SO does bedtime and the first couple wake-ups, but I personally can't get her to sleep unless she's nursing. That means I'm up every hour or less after we go to bed. On top of that, for the past few weeks she doesn't sleep well after 4 or 5, and ends up in our bed to co-sleep. Except now she doesn't even sleep well there--she ends up just squirming and latching on and off every 20 minutes, so neither of us sleep well. When SO eventually grabs her, she's out in a second. I'm done. I can't do it anymore. I've decided tonight is the night we try to sleep train again. (We tried a few weeks ago and quit after 1.5 hours of crying, but she's older now and I've since learned that 3+ hours is common the first night.)

I've decided on a modified CIO method, where we will check in on her every 5 minutes for 1 minute. But I have some questions from people who have read the books and/or actually done CIO before...:

1. What happens when she wakes in the middle of the night? Do we let her CIO again, or is it okay to go in and nurse her like I normally would? I'm worried she will learn to fall asleep on her own but then still expect me constantly by her side at night.

2. She's still in her bassinet, one-arm-swaddled, in our room. I've kept her close because that's the only way I can survive the hourly night wakings, but almost everyone seems to agree that babies sleep better without the mom distraction. She's also close to outgrowing her bassinet and probably already shouldn't be swaddled. Do we go full guns and unswaddle her, in her crib, in her room for the training? Or is there a better way to transition? If so, what does that look like?

Thanks in advance!

Re: CIO Questions

• I'm so sorry you are going through this!! I have no advice regarding CIO but did want to tell you we put LO in his own room and switched him out of the swaddle into a zipadeezip about 2 weeks ago. He's 5 1/2 months. He's done so much better than I ever expected! He was waking 5-6 times a night and now usually wakes twice. I think being so close/smelling me made him wake up more when he was transitioning through sleep cycles. Good luck!!
  • nackienackie member
    edited July 2016
    We're doing CIO now since I was having the same problem, I could only get DS to sleep if I was nursing.  DH had about a 50% success at getting him to sleep.  We've been using the method in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.  We switched up the bedtime routine so that I nurse him and then DH does the soothing, bath, etc.  If he falls asleep while nursing, I just put him in his crib.  If he wakes up and cries less than 4 hours after nursing, we check on him and then let him cry.  Otherwise I nurse him and put him down whether or not he's awake.  The first night was brutal, but by night 3, it only took him 5 minutes of whining and he's had a few nights where I didn't have to get up at all.

ETA: based on what we read, putting your LO in their own room would be good- our book actually said that sometimes it's easier if mom leaves the house entirely so baby can't smell her.  I've been going out for naptime, but haven't for bedtime.  
  • Loading the player...
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited July 2016

We didn't have to do any COI but we found that LO slept much better and stopped waking in the middle of the night all together once we got her out of the bassinet and in her own room.  We stopped the swaddle over about a weeks time and then did the bassinet to crib transition.  We think it was a combo of us waking her, as I would go to bed after her and my husband and my husband has to be up very early in the morning for work, as well as her out growing the bassinet and needing room to sprawl out.  She would hit her arms and legs on the bassinet sides and didn't have room to move around, and do her self soothing thing.  Neither of us were ready to move her out of our room but it was the best decision for both our sleep and LOs. 

We transitioned out of the swaddle by first doing the one arm, then both arms out with the swaddle still Velcroed around her middle but not tight (we have the halo sleep sacks).  I think she probably did a week or two like that in the bassinet before I pulled the trigger and put her in her crib.   

Edit to add more

• l4rkl4rk member
    Thank you! This is so encouraging. I'm thinking we will try unswaddling her other arm and putting in her crib for a few nights and see if there's an improvement. SO will probably be way more on board with trying this first too. He's actually the more emotional one when she's crying, probably because he's not up all night! 

If the move to her own room and crib doesn't stop her frequent night wakings, then we can start the CIO. 
  • I also recommend her own room and crib. We sleep trained a few weeks ago and all was great until we went on vacation for a couple nights and she had to sleep in the same room as us, and it was like sleep training never happened. We went to a cabin over this past weekend again and had LO in a different room this time, and she did great. i really think they can sense when you are nearby! 

We did CIO with checks every 10 minutes and it worked great for us. In the middle of the night if she wakes up, and its been over 3 hours since she last nursed, then I nurse, but if it's been less than 3 hours we do CIO with 10 minute checks. I don't think she has ever cried more than 10 minutes though throughout the night. I honestly think that once she figured out how to self soothe and go to sleep on her own at the beginning of the night, she was able to transition through her sleep cycles a million times better throughout the night. 

Good luck! Getting better sleep is so life changing!
  • nackienackie member
    If you are going to try CIO, I would recommend starting on a weekend.  The first night or two it can take them a while to get to sleep.
  • l4rkl4rk member
    nackie said:
    If you are going to try CIO, I would recommend starting on a weekend.  The first night or two it can take them a while to get to sleep.
    Yeah, that would make sense. I was thinking this week because my stepson is at his grandparents' place until Saturday, but I guess he'll just have to deal when he start CIO. Haha. He can barely hear her from his room anyway.
  • Also trying CIO tonight for the first time. It's been taking increasingly more and more rocking  (while she screams at us) to get her to sleep. Last night it was 4 hours. DH and I are at our breaking point. To kind of prime her, I got her up at 8 this morning and brought her to the day camp I work at (then DH came and got her her for her morning nap). Normally she is awake until 11:00ish pm and wakes in the morning around 10. Shes currently crying and it's killing me! I want to cry...
  • jrouge12 said:
    Also trying CIO tonight for the first time. It's been taking increasingly more and more rocking  (while she screams at us) to get her to sleep. Last night it was 4 hours. DH and I are at our breaking point. To kind of prime her, I got her up at 8 this morning and brought her to the day camp I work at (then DH came and got her her for her morning nap). Normally she is awake until 11:00ish pm and wakes in the morning around 10. Shes currently crying and it's killing me! I want to cry...
    I feel ya. LO just cried and screamed for 2.5 hours trying to get her to bed. Were starting CIO next weekend when DH is off. But my question, at what point do you say "ok this isn't working?"  Like if shes crying then turns into screaming, do we go in? Or is that expected and we wait the ten minutes? So many questions. 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    cali1710 said:
    jrouge12 said:
    Also trying CIO tonight for the first time. It's been taking increasingly more and more rocking  (while she screams at us) to get her to sleep. Last night it was 4 hours. DH and I are at our breaking point. To kind of prime her, I got her up at 8 this morning and brought her to the day camp I work at (then DH came and got her her for her morning nap). Normally she is awake until 11:00ish pm and wakes in the morning around 10. Shes currently crying and it's killing me! I want to cry...
    I feel ya. LO just cried and screamed for 2.5 hours trying to get her to bed. Were starting CIO next weekend when DH is off. But my question, at what point do you say "ok this isn't working?"  Like if shes crying then turns into screaming, do we go in? Or is that expected and we wait the ten minutes? So many questions. 
    Right! I had that question too. I think Ferber recommends sticking to the timing schedule despite levels of upset. For example, if baby gets sick, you're supposed to quickly clean it up, and put LO back down immediately and not provide any additional comfort.
  • @l4rk thats just it! Like she rolls back to front but not the other way so she gets stuck on her tummy, do I let her cry ten minutes on her stomach?. She will spit up for sure. And at what point do I say "ok maybe shes hungry" "maybe she needs changed" 
  • I always set a mental time limit. If she isn't asleep in 10 minutes, I'm going in. Usually at minute number 9 she passes out. If she doesn't, the I make sure she's dry and will feed her. I do the same thing with her rolling onto her belly. I've been surprised to find out she'll sleep on her belly now too. 
  • My question is pacifiers. Are you guys not using them at night? My LO loves hers. Love might even be an understatement. 90% of her waking up at night is for it back, then she goes right out. Or the tummy rescue. I would just dread trying to get her down with out her pacifier, CIO would take on a whole new level.. 
  • If I know there's something wrong that I can fix (pooped, threw up, hungry), then I go in and fix it quickly (and give some kisses) and continue on with my 10 minute checks. The longest LO has ever gone is 25 minutes though... I don't know if I could handle any longer!! Also, if LO is crying/screaming to a point that I know she's just freaking out and needs me, I go in and comfort her. It's rare she gets that worked up though. So in general, I do my best to stick to every 10 minutes, but I'm also flexible if I know she really does need me for something. I've said this in other topics though - LO is on a pretty set feeding schedule (she put herself on this) so I know when she's hungry most of the time - after sleep training she only wakes up once during the night now and it's because she's hungry, but since this 5th leap she's woken up an additional time to eat and that's fine with me. This modified CIO/ferber method really worked well for us, but every baby is different. Most nights now she just puts herself to bed with maybe a few seconds of fussing, and if she does cry, she doesn't go past the 10 minute mark most of the time.
  • l4rkl4rk member
    So we have started CIO, kind of by accident. SO put her in the crib, arms unswaddled (but legs still in the swaddle sack), and she just wouldn't sleep. She kept waking and crying, and after an hour or so SO couldn't get her to sleep again and came to get me. But since we had already started on this path, I didn't want to "undo" our work, so I actually started Ferber intervals. She just fell asleep 20 minutes ago, after about 1.5 hours of intermittent crying. Let's see how the rest of the night goes...
  • l4rkl4rk member
    ekscopp said:
    My question is pacifiers. Are you guys not using them at night? My LO loves hers. Love might even be an understatement. 90% of her waking up at night is for it back, then she goes right out. Or the tummy rescue. I would just dread trying to get her down with out her pacifier, CIO would take on a whole new level.. 
    My LO never really took to the pacifier. We actually tried to get her to use it to fall asleep  easier but she would usually spit it out almost instantly. Oh well! We managed to pick up every other bad sleep association, though. Haha.
  • ekscopp said:
    My question is pacifiers. Are you guys not using them at night? My LO loves hers. Love might even be an understatement. 90% of her waking up at night is for it back, then she goes right out. Or the tummy rescue. I would just dread trying to get her down with out her pacifier, CIO would take on a whole new level.. 
    I plan to still use one. I will put a few in her crib so she can grab them and when I go in after 10 minutes I will put it in her mouth
  • cali1710 said:
    ekscopp said:
    I plan to still use one. I will put a few in her crib so she can grab them and when I go in after 10 minutes I will put it in her mouth
    We also put 2 pacifiers in the crib and have a third on the windowsill so incase we can't find one quickly in the night we have a backup to give him quickly. He just recently figured out how to grasp them and put them back in his mouth. 
  • What do you guys do if after 10 minutes you go in and you can't calm them down? Do you pick them up and calm them down? Or do you just leave and come back again 10 minutes later?
  • l4rkl4rk member
    cali1710 said:
    What do you guys do if after 10 minutes you go in and you can't calm them down? Do you pick them up and calm them down? Or do you just leave and come back again 10 minutes later?
    I was waiting 10 minutes, then I'd go in and tell her something similar to, "I love you, you're doing great, I know this is hard but sleeping well is important. It's time to sleep. Goodnight, sweetie. I love you." And then I'd leave again. 

When she'd cry hard but intermittently, I wouldn't go in. I reset the 10 minutes every time she started because she definitely got more upset after seeing me. 

The start of the night she cried for 1.5 hours. At midnight, she cried for 27 minutes. At 2-something, I fed her and she didn't cry at all after I put her down even though she was still awake. At 4:30, she cried for 12 minutes. Then woke again at 6 and I made SO get up per our usual routine (but make sure she didn't fall asleep in his arms). All in all, I'm seeing encouraging progress and will be moving forward with night 2 tonight...
  • @l4rk good luck on night two! Is your LO 6 months yet? Does she continue to cry when you go in? Do you try to calm her if she is?
  • l4rkl4rk member
    cali1710 said:
    @l4rk good luck on night two! Is your LO 6 months yet? Does she continue to cry when you go in? Do you try to calm her if she is?
    @cali1710 Thank you! She's actually only 5 months + 1 week. But she was 2 weeks late so if we adjust opposite than premies do (like for wonder weeks), I figure she's about 5 months, 3 weeks, mentally. Haha. Not sure if it works like that but I get some comfort from it.

She definitely continues to cry when I go in, and then even harder when I leave. I rub her head and talk to her, but she doesn't get any calmer. Maybe even more upset. That's why I abandoned 5 minute intervals (my original plan above) and went with Ferber intervals, because we needed to get to those 10 minutes for her to have enough time to forget about me and calm down. It didn't work instantly but we got there!
  • @l4rk thanks! I waa going to wait until the 14th when she has her 6 month appt (really 5m3week at that appt) to start because I had question but I cant handle the night time anymore! At my wits end. So I'm thinking this weekend we will start. Sigh. Itll be tough but best in the long run. Let us know how tonight goes. 
  • ekscopp said:
    That was us. Loved her pacifier. Needed her pacifier to sleep, but woke up every time it was out. Put it in, and easily went back to sleep. The problem was her waking every 30 minutes just about, and we were going crazy with that kind of sleep. It just took 1 night to get her off and she doesn't even want it now! It was surprisingly easier than I thought. 

We try not to pick her up when we go in, and ya most of the time she still cries and cries louder when I leave. That's why I went from 5 minutes to 10 minutes too. 
  • So we had a rough couple of weeks at the start of leap 5 where LO would be up 3-4 times a night and we were losing it. I thought I would be able to do CIO, but have discovered that with my snuggly sweet little guy it just was ramping him up and making him more upset and harder to put down. So, I tried a method that one of my friends recommended and it has worked like a champ so far! If I have fed him within the last 4 hours or so and I know he's not hungry, just couldn't calm himself after his sleep cycle transition, I go in before he gets super ramped up and is still in the fussing tags and pick him up for a minute and comfort and pat his back until he calms down. Then I plop him back in the crib and say something along the lines of, "Mommy loves you, it's time to go night night." if he starts fussing again, I give it 5 minutes and repeat as necessary. The first night it took about 45 minutes of repeating the process for him to go down. He woke up again in the middle of the night and I only had to pick him up twice. The next night, it only took once after I put him down for the night. We have gotten considerably better and it's hit or miss on whether he will wake up in the middle of the night or not, but it is getting far less frequent. I hope that helps if anyone is looking to try something else. Hopefully all of these methods will help us get a good nights sleep, because the dumb that comes with the lack of sleep is slowly killing me. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @Cricket99 that's very similar to what we do except we don't pick him up he wakes up entirely when we do that so we either rub his head or bounce his mattress until he calms down then let him fuss for about 5 and repeat! Like you said at first it took FOREVER but it's getting shorter and shorter. 
  • Glad to see some of you are having success with this. We used the Ferber method with DS1 and it worked well but we started at 8 months and I think it would be easier on all of us if we could break the habits earlier with DS2. I think we are going to start to sleep train this weekend. I have been using the timed checks for his first nap all week this week before I drop him off at daycare and he has fallen asleep before the 10 minutes are up. He's only waking twice a night now, which is wonderful but the first wake up is always between 10pm and midnight and it is killing me. It gives me just enough sleep to make me feel a little rested and I have a terrible time falling back asleep. Sometimes i am up for hours. So my goal is to help him figure out how to fall back asleep on his own because even though I always feed him he shouldn't really be hungry I don't think...we'll see...
  • I turned to CIO on my mom's advice. Baby had (and still has, a bit) a nursing sleep association, but at 2.5 months old, nursing was no longer working to get him to sleep. In fact, NOTHING was reliably working. We were both exhausted. You could hear it in baby's sad little wail.

We started with naps. Baby would SCREAM for 20 to 30 minutes at first. I'd go in and check on him in 10 min intervals. Just to touch his shoulder for reassurance and to make sure he was physically OK. I'd do that 3x max. If it didn't work, I'd get him up and try again later. Within a day or two, he was down to 5 min of crying. Now he might fuss a couple minutes, but only ever cries if he's overtired. It totally worked.

Now that he knows how to put himself to sleep, he is able to use that skill night and day. We deal with night wakings in a similar way. I let him cry 5 min or so before checking up on him, if it's an unexpected or off schedule waking. I only feed him if he won't calm down after reassuring him 3x, and chalk it up to a growth spurt or something. 

Echoing what others say...moving him to his own room helped cut down on 1 or 2 night wakings naturally!
  • @l4rk DD was also 2 weeks late and I figure she's about 2 weeks ahead as well. My update on CIO: First night she cried 20 minutes then slept 7.5 hours before needing to eat. Night two she cried 10 minutes and slept 7 hours but was hard to get back asleep.  I still feel awful about leaving her to cry but DH and I got to spend some nice time together for the first time (minus 3 times my parents babysat for a couple hours) since she was born. 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    Our second night went pretty well!

She went down at her 7 pm bedtime without a complaint. It was so eerie! Then she woke at 10:30, cried for 13 minutes (checked on her at 5 mins), then slept. She cried out about an hour later but promptly fell back asleep. Woke at 1, then I nursed her. She cried HARD when I walked away but fell asleep within a couple minutes. She cried around 4, again very briefly. At 5, she woke and I fed her. Then at 6:05 she woke and SO got her up for the day, while I slept until 8. 

It's still a lot of waking but it's less than before and I feel like serious progress is being made. It's exciting! SO is also seeing it be effective which makes it easier to keep him on board.
  • How was last night??
  • l4rkl4rk member
    mestokes said:
    How was last night??
    It was good! I actually don't remember all the exact timing details. No crying at bedtime. She cried out a few times in the nigut, but promptly fell back asleep within 5 minutes. I fed her at 1:30 and 5, after she cried for more than 5 minutes.

I've also stopped turning on her swing for naps. I still have her lay in it, but keep it motionless. She cries a bit at first but also falls asleep pretty quickly.

Tonight's bedtime wasn't quite as smooth, and she protested hard at first, but fell asleep before the first check-in (we're up to 10, 12, 15 minute checks). It's 2 hours later and not another peep yet...!
  • @l4rk that's great progress!!!! Hope you continue to see more!!
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    My baby has fallen asleep fine until last night.. It took almost 3 hours and then tonight it's already been an hour and a half. He just keeps crying. I have NO idea what to do. 
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited July 2016
    kaym6 said:
    My baby has fallen asleep fine until last night.. It took almost 3 hours and then tonight it's already been an hour and a half. He just keeps crying. I have NO idea what to do. 
    That was us a few nights ago!! We ended up making her bed time 30-60 min later (she went down at 6 but we made it 630/7) and it helped a ton. I think she just didnt want to go down so early anymore. Worth a try? Might have been a fluke. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @cali1710 that's what I was thinking it might be too! We dropped to 530 routine 600 bedtime when he dropped the 4th nap so maybe he's fully adjusted now since its been a while and bedtime can get pushed a little later. He screams if we're not in there but when we go in seems like he wants to play so maybe he just isn't tired yet at 6 like he used to be. I'll try that tomorrow thanks! 
  • kaym6 said:
    @cali1710 that's what I was thinking it might be too! We dropped to 530 routine 600 bedtime when he dropped the 4th nap so maybe he's fully adjusted now since its been a while and bedtime can get pushed a little later. He screams if we're not in there but when we go in seems like he wants to play so maybe he just isn't tired yet at 6 like he used to be. I'll try that tomorrow thanks! 
    Good luck let me know how it goes!
  • l4rkl4rk member
    Good luck to those of you starting sleep training this weekend! Remember, the first night is the hardest, but it gets easier after that... :)
  • Next weekend we start! Bit she slept 12-630 last night. Small victories.
  • I don't regret starting sleep training at all. I used to say I would never, ever let DD CIO but the results for the amount she sleeps at night, how easily she goes back down after a feeding and how long her day-time naps have become in under a week is incredible. Baby is clearly more well rested and DH and I get some calm time together in the evening.