July 2015 Moms

Bottle Weaning

So LO is almost a year. Trying to wean her off formula. She is down to (usually) 3 8oz bottles a day. She doesn't eat much table food but will eat a variety..she eats a few bites and is done ready for a bottle. Any suggestions to get her to eat more table food and less bottle? I'd like to remove her lunchtime bottle and replace it with milk.. 

Re: Bottle Weaning

• Morning! I would say first lower the amount per bottle.  With my daughter the pace has been based on her eating.  We still give 4 bottles a day, but they range from 4-6 oz depending on what she ate before.  Schedule is:

7am (bottle after she wakes) - always 6 oz
    8:30 breakfast
    11am (+\- 15 mins) - 5ish oz
    12:30pm lunch
    2:45pm - 4-5 oz (this will be the first bottle I cut)
    5:30pm dinner
    6:45pm - 5ish oz

a note my daughter was an 8 oz per bottle eater until she started eating real food (not purees or rice cereal).  We go to doc tomorrow and will go over our plan to start on milk.  My hope is to drop a bottle and start mixing milk and formula and then drop from bottle to sippy cup. 

Good of luck and let us know what works for you
  • Thanks! Like my mom said, she won't drink from a bottle forever lol. I'm just concerned about her lack of interest in regular food..she rather drink a bottle (which also may be because she is teething). I have to remind myself it's ok to go at her pace...if I were breastfeeding I wouldn't be in such a rush so why should formula be any different right? I had planned to bf until 2 years, but many obstacles ruined that too early on for us :(

• Loading the player...
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    edited July 2016
    Hi mama, my son didn't have any interest in food until q couple weeks ago. My son doesn't eat a full meal yet, he is more interested in milk. Every baby is different and eventually when they are ready they will leave the bottle and eat more food, if she is more interested in milk, I'd say let her have her bottle and if she is gaining weight fine then I think she is okay. Milk is their main source of nutrition for their age. In the last few weeks my son has been having more interest in food so we have started giving him a little of what we eat like soups, a small piece of chicken, rice, he loves rice also baby yogurt helped a lot, and he has organic veggie puffs. Sometimes he eats or tries the food and other times he just plays with it which is fine , eventually I know he will have more and more. My baby boy prefers his milky also, Keep us posted and always ask your pediatrician first, you're doing great and I'm sure your baby is too. Give her some time mama and eventually she will be wanting to eat everything she sees lol :smile:
  • Exactly take their lead and the rest will fall into pace! I know it's hard to just go with it (at least it is to me), but I know doing that is what keeps LO calm and happy and on the right track for them! Like @n3na94 says consult your doc and as long as they say all is good then it is!! 
    n3na94
  • My daughter loves food!! She drinks 3 or 4 bottles a day 4-6 oz. we started mixing milk and formula but the thing is she likes it in a bottle and I have to get her on a sippy cup for daycare. She really hates the sippy cups and I've tried several brands!! Any suggestions??
  • Melis222 said:
    My daughter loves food!! She drinks 3 or 4 bottles a day 4-6 oz. we started mixing milk and formula but the thing is she likes it in a bottle and I have to get her on a sippy cup for daycare. She really hates the sippy cups and I've tried several brands!! Any suggestions??
    My daughter wouldn't take to a sippy cup either and a friend recommended ThinkBaby brand- you can buy what basically looks like a bottle but has a handle and then transition to the straw.  I thought my daughter would take forever to use the straw, but actually took to it right away.  Took her longer to use the handle on the first step bottle than using the straw when I converted it.  I bought it on Amazon. I find that like most things it's a lot of trial and error- I went through 3-4 different sippy cups before this one worked. 
  • My daughter does drink from a sippy cup. We use two different ones. The munchkin miracle 360 and the munchkin with a straw (not sure what it's called). The straw was a piece of cake for her to use (surprisingly). She loves it too..but we only drink water from it for now. The straw is harder to clean (though it comes with a tiny brush) so I'm leery about putting milk/formula in it.
    saskia2
  • We use the Born Free Grow with Me Straw Training cup and it seems to work pretty well. I pumped for 12 months because he would never latch, so he is quite fond of the bottle, but uses these without any problems. We still give bottles in the morning and at night, but during the day he mostly uses the sippy cup 
  • I've been wondering about putting formula in sippy cups, who is doing it and how hard is it to clean

• mrsrep123mrsrep123 member
    edited July 2016
    My LO wants nothing to do with a sippy cup. It's either his bottle or a regular glass. We have two kinds so far - the lifefactory ones (since we have the bottles already) and the green sprouts one. Maybe I'll see if he'll take to a straw instead???

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17