August 2016 Moms
Options

Driving/Eating Out on Modified Bed Rest

I have been put on modified bed rest due to gestational hypertension (no pre-e). They'll be monitoring me closely (twice a week now) with BP checks and NSTs. I am almost 36 weeks... FTM.

I was told that I am done working and I am not go out and go shopping. I can get up to go to the bathroom, shower, make myself food (as long as it isn't a huge involved meal), get a drink, etc. Otherwise, I am just lounging around at home.  However, I have several airport pick ups this week before I see my doctor again. Is it OK to drive to them? I won't have to get out of the car at all. I am not on any medication. I just forgot to ask! 

Also, thoughts on going out to dinner? I would be dropped off and picked up at the door. Otherwise, I would just be sitting at the table. Isn't that the same as sitting at the table at home to eat meals? Thoughts on if that would be okay? 
Married 09/2014
BFP #1 11/19/15 | DS 07/16/2016
BFP #2 09/03/17 | EDD 05/17/2018

Re: Driving/Eating Out on Modified Bed Rest

• Options
    I think it depends on why you're on bedrest and what your doctor said. Did they tell you to only get up for bathroom, shower and food?  And did they say to be lying down or is sitting upright ok?

im on modified bedrest for cervical shortening but my doctor wasn't too strict about it. It was mostly about walking and lifting. So while "flatter is always better" I'm ok to sit in the car for long periods of time.  But also my primary doctor was more worried about this than other OBs in the practice. 

I'd maybe call your doc to ask their opinion. 
  • Options
    I plan to ask tomorrow at my doctor visit, but my parents fly in today! I really don't want to bother the doc on call on a holiday.  It's just because of mild gestational hypertension.  I am fine to be in any position, but they asked me to spend several hours a day on my left side (as it causes my BP to drop a ton - to a good level).  So I spend 2 hours every afternoon and evening on my left side and otherwise, I sit like a bum :) 

Technically bed rest is not recommended per ACOG for my condition (cuz it doesn't make a difference) but it's all we can do honestly and I'd like to keep my BP down for baby girl.
    Married 09/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry you have to go through this. I would definitely ask your doctor about the driving and restaurant, he really is the one who will be able to answer better since it depends on your personal situation.

The only time I have ever been put on bed rest was after my embryo transfers, and only for 2 days so I cannot really relate but I was not allowed to get up for more than bathroom/shower/food. I could lay in bed or sit on a sofa.
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• Options
    I would definitely ask your ob. When I was on bedrest for the same thing, they were very strict about it. I was only supposed to get up to use the bathroom and eat. 
  • Options
    I'd be careful about driving, I know my BP increases a lot when I drive ;) . Going out to eat seems ok, but I'd double check with your DR. BP is a tricky thing and can become dangerous very quickly. Hang in there Mama!
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    @mermaidbina - you are definitely right about BP being a tricky thing. I have been really good at bedrest today and I my BPs have stayed 130s over mid 90s.  I decided to "splurge" and stood outside for 45 minutes watching fireworks. I walked straight into and checked my BP - figured it would be bad. Nope! It was by far the best it's been all day haha! 
    Married 09/2014
  • Options
    @misspuppychow I agree with you about it being a tricky thing!! My blood pressure is highest 1st thing in the morning when I wake up. It is so weird. DH and I went out to eat, a short trip to Target and to HEB came home and BP was almost perfect.  Sat at our dinner table for dinner tonight with friends, BP was pretty high. Stupid if you ask me!! 
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • Options
    DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited July 2016
    I think if it were me I would avoid driving if you are on bed rest for BP.  Due to the symptoms you can experience as a result of elevated BP I would avoid driving to keep yourself and others safe.  More than likely your airport pick ups will understand if they need to take a cab.  I hope your BP stays within normal limits.
  • Options
    LOL maybe the fireworks were relaxing ??
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I always feel like I have more contractions when I am driving. Don't know if it is the bumps in the road, or what... so I would avoid driving if I could.
    Married - 4/7/07
    Son #1- 2/15/08
    Son #2- 8/18/10
    Baby 3 due 8/8/16
  • Options
    I always feel like I have more contractions when I am driving. Don't know if it is the bumps in the road, or what... so I would avoid driving if I could.
    I could understand if it was because of preterm labor risks, but I don't have any of that. Mine is just my BP. I haven't had any contractions and I have no risk for preterm labor. 
    Married 09/2014
  • Options
    I'm on modified bed rest. Doctor said I can go out to eat, run into the store for ONE or TWO items, but NO shopping around the mall or anything like that. In my mind, strict bed rest would prevent you from going out to dinner and such. You can always call your doctor and ask.
    Me: 32 | DH: 33
    Met: 2005 | Started Dating: 2009 | Married: 2013

TTC#1: 06.2014;   BFP: 12.2015; DS Born: August 16, 2016
    TTC#2: 12.2017; BFP: 02.26.2018; CP 03.02.2018
                                BFP: 04.26.2018 DD Born: December 26, 2018
    Surprise Pregnancy #3; BFP: 01.11.2020; Due Date: September 19, 2021

• Options
    My doctor vetoed any long car trips once I started dialating (until I hit 36 weeks). Obviously mine is a different issue than yours, but the car ride was her biggest concern when she vetoed my vacation. She said it can just stimulate the progress that is already happening. 

• Options
    To me, sitting at a restaurant for a meal and home seems pretty similar, but I would definitely check first. One thing that would concern me is the amount of sodium we can consume without even realizing it while eating out. At home, at least you know exactly what is in your food and you can make modifications to lower sodium in your meals. At a restaurant, especially when sauces are involved, it's really easy to consume a ton without realizing it. I would probably try to stick to places that post their nutrition information so you can make an informed decision. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    To me, sitting at a restaurant for a meal and home seems pretty similar, but I would definitely check first. One thing that would concern me is the amount of sodium we can consume without even realizing it while eating out. At home, at least you know exactly what is in your food and you can make modifications to lower sodium in your meals. At a restaurant, especially when sauces are involved, it's really easy to consume a ton without realizing it. I would probably try to stick to places that post their nutrition information so you can make an informed decision. 
    I wasn't told that I need to limit sodium due to hypertension since my underlying BP is normal. For example, on my side, my BP is 106/68 today (about my normal). It only spikes when I am sitting upright (120s over low 90s) and only gets high (130s over high 90s) when I do something (dishes, folding clothes, walking a lot, etc). The doctor said my BP issues are related to pregnancy and not diet. Do you think cutting sodium could still help? 
    Married 09/2014