July 2015 Moms

Forward facing seat

When are you turning the seats around? The state requirement is 1 year and 20lbs. However, a lot of articles say to wait until 2 years. The car seat we stupidly bought is pretty big and pushes the front seat up until the passengers knees are in the dash. My husband thinks to flip it when she turns one (17th) and I think we should wait until 2.

Re: Forward facing seat

• We are waiting till she is older 
  • We are waiting until at least 2. I'd like to max out the rear facing limits and that would be closer to 4. I have done, admittedly, way too much research to be comfortable turning him at 1.
    mrsrep123andrawrmeda2
  • Loading the player...
  • What carseat do you have?
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    What carseat do you have?
    We have the Evenflo Tribute.
    andrawrmeda2
  • At least 2 - safety of my baby comes before anyone else's comfort
    n3na94AKOL0mrsrep123ToAoShesha
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    edited July 2016
    AKOL0 said:
    When are you turning the seats around? The state requirement is 1 year and 20lbs. However, a lot of articles say to wait until 2 years. The car seat we stupidly bought is pretty big and pushes the front seat up until the passengers knees are in the dash. My husband thinks to flip it when she turns one (17th) and I think we should wait until 2.
    I think the past requirements were 1 year old but the new ones are 2. I didn't know they varied by state though. I also was thinking the same until I read articles about it. Ask your pediatrician, I don't know if it varies with weight limits too. I'm sure your pediatrician will tell you the new updated regulations for it! 
  • n3na94 said:
    AKOL0 said:
    I think the past requirements were 1 year old but the new ones are 2. I didn't know they varied by state though. I also was thinking the same until I read articles about it. Ask your pediatrician, I don't know if it varies with weight limits too. I'm sure your pediatrician will tell you the new updated regulations for it! 
    Pediatricians are not always in the know on updated carseat recommendations. Current ones are rear facing to a minimum of 2, preferably to the limits of the carseat. Also, all states have different laws, which are usually behind what recommendations are. Only 3 or 4 states have recently changed their laws to keep up with the recs. Regardless of what the law is, it's 5 times safer to keep them rear facing longer. 
    n3na94mrsrep123jht4
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    n3na94 said:
    AKOL0 said:
    Pediatricians are not always in the know on updated carseat recommendations. Current ones are rear facing to a minimum of 2, preferably to the limits of the carseat. Also, all states have different laws, which are usually behind what recommendations are. Only 3 or 4 states have recently changed their laws to keep up with the recs. Regardless of what the law is, it's 5 times safer to keep them rear facing longer. 
    Wow I didn't know I'm a first time mom but I did know 2 was the minimum age to turn their seat. I did read if we could go longer rear faced to do it. 
    andrawrmeda2
  • n3na94 said:
    n3na94 said:
    AKOL0 said:
    Wow I didn't know I'm a first time mom but I did know 2 was the minimum age to turn their seat. I did read if we could go longer rear faced to do it. 
    I hope I didn't come across as rude. That was not my intention! I am a first time mom as well. I found car seats for the littles during my searches for info about car seats and they were a big help. They have tons of information on their website, all about proper use, why it's safer etc. www.csftl.org is the site. Check it out!
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    n3na94 said:
    n3na94 said:
    AKOL0 said:
    I hope I didn't come across as rude. That was not my intention! I am a first time mom as well. I found car seats for the littles during my searches for info about car seats and they were a big help. They have tons of information on their website, all about proper use, why it's safer etc. www.csftl.org is the site. Check it out!
    No don't worry, it really is good to know about how some pediatrician a aren't updated on new regulations, so thank you for sharing that with me! And I will definitely check it out,  I have heard of that website before but I haven't checked it but It's good to be informed! Thank you mama! :smile:
  • I believe the minimum recommendation is 2.  Even if your child has long legs, the occurrence of pediatric leg and pelvic injuries in rear facing seats during an accident is almost nonexistent.  The occurrence of spine and neck injuries in forward facing seats during an accident is high in young children.  I would take a leg or pelvic injury any day over a spine or head injury.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

AKOL0
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    Thank you all. I've been trying to convince my husband that we should wait. His main reasoning to go with state law is because we are going on a trip soon and he'd like her to be able to see out of the window. And because if it is law, how could it not be safe. 
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    AKOL0 said:
    Thank you all. I've been trying to convince my husband that we should wait. His main reasoning to go with state law is because we are going on a trip soon and he'd like her to be able to see out of the window. And because if it is law, how could it not be safe. 
    You can go online, there is articles that state why is safe to wait and perhaps have him read that to convince him. Your baby girl's safety is #1 mama! I hope everything works out! 
  • Here in Texas the law is minimum of 2 years AND 40 pounds.
  • PA is passing the law requiring babies to be rear facing til 2 years. I just bought LO a convertible seat Safety 1st grow and go. She loves it, can see out the window pretty good. I broke down and bought a mirror too (I know they aren't recommended) and she loves being able to see herself, and I like being able to see her face. 
    andrawrmeda2
  • I didn't know mirrors weren't recommended , we've been using one from the beginning so I can see LO in my rear view. 
    andrawrmeda2
  • KAR8706 said:
    I didn't know mirrors weren't recommended , we've been using one from the beginning so I can see LO in my rear view. 
    I never heard this before either.  Do you know why?  Everyone I know uses them.
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    cls2015 said:
    KAR8706 said:
    I didn't know mirrors weren't recommended , we've been using one from the beginning so I can see LO in my rear view. 
    I never heard this before either.  Do you know why?  Everyone I know uses them.
    I heard it was because the light can reflect on their face. Perhaps it's another reason but that's what I heard. 
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    I'm not sure, but I think it's because having a mirror is a distraction. We've also had one since she was born . It has helped her be able to slightly see us in the front as well.
    cls2015
  • I didn't know mirrors were a no-no. We've had one since day 1, the Brica light up mirror that plays music and it's been a life saver on car trips. That way we can see him and he can see us. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one, especially since we've got another year of rear facing ahead of us.
  • Use of mirrors is left up to parental discretion. They aren't recommended because they can become projectiles in a crash. We have used one since the beginning though. Ours has 4 straps securing it to the headrest im not concerned about it coming off.
    WhiteSunandrawrmeda2
  • Yes, they can become hazards in a crash, they are a distraction (though not being able to see baby is also). Mine has straps to keep on the headrest too, so I'm not worried..she's also much bigger so if it were to come lose she wouldn't be harmed as bad. 
    andrawrmeda2
  • Ok well then I am not concerned, ours also has straps and stays on pretty well. Without it I would be too worried about what is going on. 
  • Here in California, your child has to be rear facing until 2 years of age. It's the law. 
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • asun123 said:
    Here in California, your child has to be rear facing until 2 years of age. It's the law. 
    I wish this was nationwide!
    asun123andrawrmeda2
  • With the mirror, wic told me that in a crash, they have a momentum force of up to thirty pounds, depending on how fast they move, impact of crash and such. They told me nothing on the windows, headrest or even toys on the carseat. But I had to get a mirror my son hates my car and screams almost everytime we go anywhere in it. So I got a mirror that attached to the window cause my backseat doesn't have headrests, and I have a window shield cause I don't have tinted windows. But that doesn't do much for him cause the back window of my grand am is slanted alot and the sun always hits the back for some reason.

• We just got the Graco 4ever but plan to keep it rear facing until age two.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    n3na94
  • With the mirror, wic told me that in a crash, they have a momentum force of up to thirty pounds, depending on how fast they move, impact of crash and such. They told me nothing on the windows, headrest or even toys on the carseat. But I had to get a mirror my son hates my car and screams almost everytime we go anywhere in it. So I got a mirror that attached to the window cause my backseat doesn't have headrests, and I have a window shield cause I don't have tinted windows. But that doesn't do much for him cause the back window of my grand am is slanted alot and the sun always hits the back for some reason.
    I know all these rules too. But seriously, It's going a little overboard. I have a mirror so I can see my little one and I seriously don't care anymore what everyone thinks. Our kids are fine.
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
    andrawrmeda2