December 2015 Moms

How long does it take LO to fall asleep on their own?

DD is almost 6 months
for a while I could lay her in her crib and she wild go right to sleep. Now for the past week or so it's been a struggle. It can take up to an hour+ for her to sleep. She's not hungry or anything, just fiesty. Any suggestions or tricks? I have lullabies playing and room dark. Put her to bed full and burped. 

Re: How long does it take LO to fall asleep on their own?

• This last week has been hell for us at bedtime/during the night because of teething! Usually, I could put her to bed awake and she'd wrestle around for 10 mins or so until she was comfortable. Now, she just seems restless. Last night I resorted to giving her some tylenol and she slept a good 6 hour stretch.
  • I watch for tired cues and if I can get her when she's sleepy and nurse her until she's almost asleep/heavily drowsy, she falls asleep in her crib within 5-10 mins usually. She still has those times when she's not feeling well and just needs extra snuggles. Some nights she's really awake and feisty so I let her play and try to do things that challenge her a little more to wear her out faster.
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD can't fall asleep on her own, or maybe I just don't try because she cries. When I rock her she's out within minutes. Somedays she needs 30 more mins to wind down/burn some energy. 
  • kdoak2015 said:
    My DD can't fall asleep on her own, or maybe I just don't try because she cries. When I rock her she's out within minutes. Somedays she needs 30 more mins to wind down/burn some energy. 
    Word. 
  • I rock DD to sleep every night. No shame. 
  • That's my other issue. She is not wanting to be snuggled or rocked right now. Makes me sad
  • I recently stopped rocking DD. I put her in her crib and she will stand up (holding the rails) and i will put her to lay down and she will stand up. We will do that dance until she falls asleep lol. Sometimes she goes down right away other times it may take 45 min, especially for naps. 
  • We do a very modified CIO (otherwise, it'd be hopeless with two). We do bottle, change into pjs, book, lullaby, bed. If they're fussy, we go in after 3, 5, and 7 minutes. If they keep going, we rock a couple minutes and start over. Most nights, the girls get to sleep in under 10 minutes with us only going in once or twice.

Naps can sometimes take longer, but they still *usually go to sleep in under 15.

*This does not reflect today...where they've been screaming forever no matter what...
  • laurabwalkerlaurabwalker member
    edited July 2016
    Maybe she needs to be either awake longer or shorter before bed? I have found the sweet spot for my girl right now, it's 3 hours before bed awake time and I rub her back and pat her bum and she is out. However during teething/growth spurts there are always harder times.
  • I used to rock my DS to sleep and he'd fall asleep in less than 10 without a fight. At 6 months he decided the rocking chair was a torture chair and it would take me up to an hr! lol so I had to switch it up and now I nurse him laying down in bed and he's out most of the time in less than 10 mins. If I try and put him in his crib drowsy, he'd have my head. Lol
  • On her own? lol shoot.... look if it makes you feel any better, Olive has NEVER been able to put herself to sleep unless she wakes in the middle of the night and i feed her and she stays awake. Then typically I'll fall asleep, wake up and she's out. I'm not sure how long it takes her or how she does it but as of now, she's gone her entire life always being soothed to sleep by either boob or baby wearing. It's exhausting. 
  • We did CIO around 4 months and it worked WONDERS for my DD! Now she is able to soothe herself and play quietly if she doesn't fall asleep right away. This morning I fed her before her nap and put her into her crib and she was awake and moving around/sitting up/playing with loveys for almost an hour before she fell asleep, but no fussing or crying. I know CIO isn't for everyone but she does so well in the crib now, rarely ever cries... So it was worth the few days of sleeplessness while training her for the payoff now!