February 2017 Moms
Options

First Time Moms

We are beyond excited, and a little nervous, about being pregnant with our first baby! I was just wondering in any other February 2017 moms are also going through this for the first time.  I love hearing from everyone else about their past experiences and getting their knowledge, but would also enjoy connecting with people while have no clue what to expect! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: First Time Moms

• Options
    VastraVastra member
    edited June 2016
    Welcome and congratulations! This is my first as well. This is daunting and scary, but the ladies here are super supportive, and the repeat moms especially seem to know everything! Have you gotten a copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting? I have both the book and the app, and it's answered a lot of questions for me. Enjoy the journey! 

(edited bc verbz good)
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    I haven't gotten any reading material yet. We have our first appointment next week Friday.  I think after seeing the heartbeat and everything I'll get started. Thanks and congratulations to you too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's my first pregnancy too! I'm nervous about all the things that can go wrong, but I get a little less worried every day. Really can't wait for my ultrasound in 2 weeks.

I know I just said it over in the symptoms thread, but I've never been this tired in my entire life. This is insane.
  • Options
    I get it, being tired is the thing I'm noticing the most. I lay around so much and sleep more than usual. I never napped until I got pregnant. Thank goodness for summer break, I'm not sure I could teach feeling like this! 
  • Options
    This is our first too! My first appointment is next Wednesday, and I'm anxious and excited to make sure everything is alright. 

Despite all the throwing up, I still feel like it won't fully sink in until I (hopefully) see that tiny heart beat.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    This is my first as well. I'll be 9 weeks tomorrow. I'm so nauseated. I just sit around all day. I feel so useless! I'm a in-home tutor and many of my students are taking vacations and breaks from classes right now so I've the time. I just wish my house would clean itself!
  • Options
    Hi! It's my first too! The day I got my BFP, I went out and bought What to Expect and also downloaded a few apps. My first appointment is tomorrow, I think that will make it seem much more real (because to MS and sore boobs aren't enough). 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is my first too.  It's great to hear from our more experienced members, but it's also nice to connect with those of us who are new to all this! 

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    This is also my first. I feel like I'm equal parts excited and a giant worked up ball of nerves. I love hearing from the experienced people but it's nice to connect with people who are going through this for the first time too!

For those of you who are reading books, I have What to Expect When You're Expecting, are you reading through all of it or going month by month? I read the first part before we got pregnant and then by the time I found out I was pregnant (and believed the 20 tests I had taken) I was in the 2nd month so I read both of those but then stopped. I've been wondering if I should keep going or if I'll just forget it all and have to re-read...
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    This will be my first as well and my first appointment is also next Friday! DH and I are both excited, but also nervous and not really believing that it's real yet. He is coming to my first US appt, so maybe it will sink in then!

As far as What to Expect, I read the whole first trimester at once, just to get an idea of what's to come and then stopped there. I'll probably read the second trimester section when I am a little closer to that time so I don't forget what I read before I get there!
  • Options
    In terms of reading, I've read full the first trimester, so I know what's coming and I don't miss something I'm supposed to do.  Probably somewhere between 8-12 weeks I'll read the second trimester section.  I feel like I'd forget details if I read the whole thing at once. 

TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • Options
    This is my first as well, I haven't read any books yet, honestly I am afraid to do much in case something bad happens, but my Betas have been good and my first appointment is tomorrow, so hopefully that reassures me.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    VastraVastra member
    This is also my first. I feel like I'm equal parts excited and a giant worked up ball of nerves. I love hearing from the experienced people but it's nice to connect with people who are going through this for the first time too!

For those of you who are reading books, I have What to Expect When You're Expecting, are you reading through all of it or going month by month? I read the first part before we got pregnant and then by the time I found out I was pregnant (and believed the 20 tests I had taken) I was in the 2nd month so I read both of those but then stopped. I've been wondering if I should keep going or if I'll just forget it all and have to re-read...
    Reading month by month, but also turning to the index for anything that ops into my head, and that stuff is all over the book. I can easily get absorbed and read ten pages of Month 6 or whatever because I searched for "stretch marks."
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    This is my third pregnancy but I have never made it past 12 weeks. So right now I kind of know what to expect but after 12 weeks I'm in the blind! I am doing so much reading/research!
  • Options
    Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    edited June 2016
    FTM here as well. For whatever reason, the idea of reading What To Expect stresses me out, so I'm skipping it for now. I have checked out the website, though. I read Expecting Better, which was a quick and interesting read, and I just ordered Ina May's Guide To Childbirth. 

The "fun" thing for me to research is gear, and my friend recommended the website Lucie's List as a great place to start. I think it was also mentioned in the gear thread. 
  • Options
    I agree.. the books and literature are a bit stressful. I'm spending my time picking gear and nursery items out too. I can't wait to shop.
  • Options
    I'm a FTM as well. I keep going back and forth between elation and worry. I think I'll feel better about everything once I hear the heartbeat, but that's not for another two weeks. 

I'm working through Ina May's Guide to Childbirth right now. My husband actually picked out The Bump's Baby Book when we were at the bookstore and he likes looking through that one. It has lots of pictures and everything is written in a question/answer type format so he's learning stuff without being overloaded with information. I like peeking through it as well.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I'm a first time mom here as well! When it comes to seeing many of you here geared up for reading I feel a little sheepish, because I haven't thought of doing such a thing yet. I'm only 5weeks along so I like to think I have a little bit of time on my side; my first prenatal appointment isn't for two more weeks. I'm really freaked out because it's so early, and as stupid as it sounds so many people know already - mostly close family and co-workers, but I'm freaked out I jumped the gun too soon. I really enjoy this message board because not only are there experienced moms here, but also moms in a first time position like me. It's kind of a relief to not feel alone.
  • Options
    Hi! Congratulations and welcome! :smile: This will be out first time too. We're really excited and it feels like we've entered into a new phase in our lives. It hasn't hit me yet that we'll be parents and I'll be a MOMMA to baby, and not just to my fur-baby. I get really giddy thinking of how our baby will look like, who she/he will take after, and so on. We're already planning ahead... or more like daydreaming about family vacations, experiences, teaching methods, etc. We were blessed with our first baby just two months after getting engaged (planned), so it will be interesting to plan a wedding while on maternity leave and to have a 7-month old crying at the ceremony, haha. Can't wait for this incredible journey to begin! 
  • Options
    FTM here too! I have only bought one book (What to Expect) and it's not super helpful at this stage.

I also may have downloaded 5 different apps and check each of them daily...
  • Options
    @emilykathryn86 me too, on the app front! I've since whittled it down to three... WTE, TB, and Ovia. 

This is also my first. And I'm the first of my friends, so I don't really have anyone IRL to chat with -- that sounds way more pathetic than I intended. All I'm saying is that I'm really glad communities like this exist, huzzah! 
  • Options
    Hi ladies! FTM here as well. I started reading this book called Skinny *itch bun in the oven... thought it would be funny, but it was terrifying. Do not read this one!! Basically they try to convince you to become vegan by telling you all sorts of bad stuff about meat, eggs, dairy, wheat etc.

I have downloaded two apps and I love reading the descriptions of what is happening each week. It's incredible that the baby is so small yet already is developing a heart and stuff, so amazing!! I can't wait to buy baby stuff, haven't bought anything yet. :)

I look forward to journeying through this pregnancy with you all!

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• Options
    Hey all, another FTM here!  I just bought What to Expect so I'll be starting it soon.  I'm so excited but also really nervous...I'm 6 weeks and don't feel pregnant.  I feel like I'm going to go to my first OB appointment and they're going to tell me I was never pregnant.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hi ladies! FTM here as well. I started reading this book called Skinny *itch bun in the oven... thought it would be funny, but it was terrifying. Do not read this one!! Basically they try to convince you to become vegan by telling you all sorts of bad stuff about meat, eggs, dairy, wheat etc.

I have downloaded two apps and I love reading the descriptions of what is happening each week. It's incredible that the baby is so small yet already is developing a heart and stuff, so amazing!! I can't wait to buy baby stuff, haven't bought anything yet. :)

Ha! I made the mistake of reading the original Skinny B book during the holidays and tried to be a vegan starting Christmas morning. Epic failure. (And awful book)
  • Options
    lap018lap018 member

Ok I'm a STM but how on earth is a book going to tell a pregnant woman to avoid dairy, eggs, wheat, and meat? Seriously? All I craved my first pregnancy was chocolate milk and hot tamales (candy). I would read it and be all "that's disgusting all the bad stuff in there!" :::puts another doughnut in mouth and chases with chocolate milk::: 
  • Options
    FTM here - second pregnancy - tomorrow is the first day beyond when I started having a MC. Scared and excited - this pregnancy has been so different so far. I've got What to Expect When You're Expecting (reading month by month) and Expecting Better. I have another but I haven't read much of it yet and what I have read I disagree with vehemently ...

In terms of apps - I haven't eliminated many yet. I am really liking Nurture and a few of the others y'all have mentioned.
    ---TW BFP and MC mentioned - scroll down past the Lilo and Stitch gif to avoid ---

Me: 33 & DH: 33
    Married: 07/2006
    TTC: 10/2015
    BFP #1: 11/2015, MC 12/2015 (7 weeks)
    BFP #2: 06/2016, EDD 2/15/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @emilykathryn86 me too, on the app front! I've since whittled it down to three... WTE, TB, and Ovia. 
    Those are the 3 I check pretty much daily too!
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    @kelnhonk I'm a teacher too! What do you teach? Are you planning to go back for the first half of the year and then take maternity leave or take the rest of the school year off? Thank GOODNESS for summer break or I would be losing my mind trying to teach right now with how tired I am and how much morning/all day sickness I've had! This is my first pregnancy too and it's crazy to go from saying "my kids" all the time about my students to now actually having 'my kid' in my belly!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @lferretti89  Yay for teachers!  Last year I taught in a 3/4 and this year I'll be a 4/5.  How about you?  Summer break saved me!  I'm planning on working up until the baby and after my 12ish weeks going back. I guess I don't know what to expect so we'll see what happens as the day gets closer.. all I know is I'm working after baby comes. What are you going to do? Also, I totally get what you're saying. We had 4 pregnant teachers last school year and I always said that my 32 kids are good enough for me.  Whoops. 
  • Options

@kelnhonk I've taught all over! I taught math to all 4 grades of high school, then switched and taught 4th grade math and reading, then taught 4th and 5th math and science! We just moved at the end of this last school year to a new state, so I may just substitute teach (though I know how some of my kids were to subs... eeek...) After baby I'll definitely take the rest of the school year and the summer off, but I might actually try to start an at-home daycare for a few years until we have all of our kids so that I can bring some money in and be with my babies! Otherwise I'll end up back in the classroom full time next fall. I had a friend last year who was teaching and was paying $1500/month for her kids to go to daycare! At that price, my paycheck would basically cover daycare and groceries for the month! haha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hi everyone! FTM here also! I feel so behind that I haven't read anything other than the week by week info on The Bump app. I'm at 5 weeks and won't have my first appointment for another 3 weeks so I find myself being more worried than excited at this point. I feel like I can't relax until I have visual proof!
  • Options
    HI! I'm also a FTM and this is my first pregnancy. We had our first appointment on Wednesday and I was definitely relieved to see there was actually a baby in there and it wasn't all in my head, lol. DH and I still kind of feel like it hasn't totally hit us but we're super excited. I'm 8.5 weeks, and feel like i'm behind on reading although i've looked up a lot of stuff online. I have WTE but haven't started it. The doctor's office gave me a book, and I started that and read up to the 9 week point and felt like I already knew a lot of what was in there so far, so that was nice!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kelnhonk said:
    I get it, being tired is the thing I'm noticing the most. I lay around so much and sleep more than usual. I never napped until I got pregnant. Thank goodness for summer break, I'm not sure I could teach feeling like this! 
    I am with you! I start my second trimester right when school starts and I am praying that everything I've read about increased energy is true! I'm a drama teacher with after school commitments every day! No napping once school starts!
  • Options
    MalyJMalyJ member
    Not a FTM here, but just wanted to jump in about the What to Expect When You're Expecting book. It's a great resource and ill use it this time around even as a third time mom. 

But I let it freak me out soooooo much with DS1 when my pregnancy didn't align with what the book said. I felt him kick much later, didn't have the knockdown nausea, no Braxton hicks, stuff like that. And I was always convinced something was wrong, because the book said I should be experiencing it.

Again, a great resource, but don't get too upset when your experience is off from the book's. I kind of let it put a damper on portions of my pregnancy.

• Options
    Hi everyone thanks for starting the new moms thread. I too am anxious and excited and tired and nauseous. I have been bleeding and cramping since the beginning and was diagnosed as having a threatened miscarriage. I've already had two ultrasounds though and was beyond shocked to hear a heartbeat at seven weeks. They think it has to do with my endometriosis, I probably have lesions that are still healing up. I have my next appt at 10 weeks to check in again. I guess that's the only benefit of being high risk, I get plenty of early ultrasounds :) so far so good though, I've already had to buy a new bra, I'm nauseated all day, and have all the usual symptoms so I'm staying optimistic. My heart goes out to those of you above who have gone through this a few times. As far as the what to expect book goes, I read to the first trimester and also got a bit overwhelmed so I'm taking a break. It jumps all over the place and was hard to take in at once and will scare the hell out of you to boot haha but I'm a habitual researcher about anything medical so I read a ton and will continue reading the book in sections. 
  • Options
    MalyJ said:
    Not a FTM here, but just wanted to jump in about the What to Expect When You're Expecting book. It's a great resource and ill use it this time around even as a third time mom. 

But I let it freak me out soooooo much with DS1 when my pregnancy didn't align with what the book said. I felt him kick much later, didn't have the knockdown nausea, no Braxton hicks, stuff like that. And I was always convinced something was wrong, because the book said I should be experiencing it.

Again, a great resource, but don't get too upset when your experience is off from the book's. I kind of let it put a damper on portions of my pregnancy.
    Thank you @MalyJ I definitely was getting worried from not feeling anything when the book had like 15 symptoms listed and said "you may feel all of these or 2" and I was like what if I feel none? But now that the nausea and sore boobs has kicked in I'm starting to relax. I wish they'd also mention that symptoms can come and go. I was nauseous for 1 day and then fine for the next 3 so I convinced myself that something was wrong. But now I've been hit the past 3 days with it so pretty sure it's normal. 
    EDD 11/24/23

• Options
    MalyJ said:

Thank you @MalyJ I definitely was getting worried from not feeling anything when the book had like 15 symptoms listed and said "you may feel all of these or 2" and I was like what if I feel none? But now that the nausea and sore boobs has kicked in I'm starting to relax. I wish they'd also mention that symptoms can come and go. I was nauseous for 1 day and then fine for the next 3 so I convinced myself that something was wrong. But now I've been hit the past 3 days with it so pretty sure it's normal. 
    This is a big reason I'm not reading it; I've heard from multiple people that it caused them to worry for one reason or another. I know I'm a little prone to worry, so I'm taking my medical info in small, manageable doses and focusing on the few aspects I can control. 
  • Options
    Tennis11785Tennis11785 member
    edited July 2016
    My doctor says she prefers the Mayo Clinic pregnancy book over What To Expect. She says you get the same information,  but it's presented better. 

TTC Since 11/2015
  • Options
    @Tennis11785 my OB has the same book recommendation.

I haven't picked up a single book this time. Last time, I was reading all the things and so over enthused and then blindsided by the loss... this time I feel like I'm holding my breath until the US to feel like I really get to experience this all the way. 

However, I did find a book I really enjoyed last time, as like @Xstatic3333 mentioned it gives reasonable bites of information, combined with something I could do. It's called What to Eat when you're expecting - basically each week it tells you a nutrient to focus on that baby will be in demand of that week, and a top food you can eat to provide it.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    That sounds fun, @WinchesterGirl! I'll have to check it out.