January 2016 Moms
Options

Effing fireworks.

You guys. I am so dreading this week and holiday weekend.
Our city ordinance allows for fireworks starting tonight at 5, until 2 hours after dusk. (Which, around here, is around 11:30.) On the 4th, they can set them off until midnight. Being as that is a Monday, it doesn't seem to matter that people are working on Tuesday, the 5th, as normal. 
I'm already irritated, and it hasn't even started. I have these neighbors on one side (of course, the side with all of our bedrooms,) that aren't quiet to begin with. Last year, they set fireworks off from their porch into the street. We're talking real class acts. I am so anxious that this next week will be hell for my LO, as she's a pretty light sleeper. I wish I didn't have to work, so I could go stay somewhere out in the country where we didn't have to worry about it. It's like a war zone in my neighborhood every 4th.
Anybody have good tips as far as how to deal? I don't think she'll be scared, but I don't think she'll be able to sleep through them. 

Re: Effing fireworks.

• Options
    Can you keep the room noisy to help drown out some of the outside shenanigans. These are tips I read to use during firework displays put baby ear plugs in and cover with knit hat. Put nursing pads over ears cover with knit hat. Baby ear muffs. Maybe baby can sleep with a hat on if it doesn't bother him or her. I'm also wondering how baby will sleep next few days fireworks will start and last for weeks on end as people use up what they bought.
  • Options
    I'm not looking forward to it, either. Last year they were blasting them off until the 10th. WHY?! My LO tends to sleep like a log, but getting him to sleep with loud noises is not easy. And to top it off I have 4 dogs that go nuts during fireworks.... I don't know if I am going to survive the next week. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh jeez my neighborhood goes crazy too, I didn't even think about this til now. This isn't going to be good! All I can do is close her window and hope for the best I guess. 
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    omg no 
  • Options
    I'm dreading this weekend too. I'm in Canada so Canada day is Friday. And I know they'll be all weekend long. Shes generally a sound sleeper and I have a fan on in her room that tends to drown out sounds but probably not fireworks. She sleeps bad enough I don't need fireworks help! 
  • Options
    I hadn't thought about fireworks! Thank goodness I live in England.... Good luck Mommies!
  • Options
    I pulled a big box fan out of storage last night. If it gets too loud, I'll turn it on high and point it at the wall. Hopefully that will drown out any extra noise.
  • Options
    Considering my LO wakes up, crying in terror if someone *sneezes* I...can't imagine this is going to go well!
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    On second thought, we might have picked a bad weekend to restart sleep training...
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    We had fireworks here a few weeks ago and LO slept right through them. Babies can be pleasantly surprising!
  • Options
    l4rk said:
    We had fireworks here a few weeks ago and LO slept right through them. Babies can be pleasantly surprising!
    Mine slept through then for may 24 weekend buttt shes a lot more aware and observant now which makes me wonder if she'll wake up!
  • Options
    My neighbor was setting off the puny ones several weeks ago while LO and I were on the porch and he wasn't fazed. But, I'm sure the big boomy ones he will be terrified of. But, I'm staying with my parents the week of the 4th and they have a pretty chill relaxed neighborhood with quiet neighbors so I hope that it'll be quiet enough and not bother LO.. 
  • Options
    Our neighbors started last night with the fireworks at 1 in the morning. LO didn't wake up but hubs and I sure did. 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • Options
    Our new neighborhood has been lighting them off for days now. Great idea during a major drought, right? Beside the point. The baby couldn't care less. Toddler, he cares. Ugh. 
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    My neighbor just came over to warn me that they are lighting off a ton of fireworks tonight but to let them know if it's too much. So mean and thoughtful all at once lol 
  • Options
    Lol. Good luck tonight everyone!
  • Options
    So we are on night number 4 of fireworks in our neighborhood. Tonight it seems like they're coming from all sides. LO is fast asleep with his arm over his head to block out the noise while hubs paces the house. 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • Options
    Well my daughter did awesome during the big fireworks show here in our home town just put protective hearing covers on her. It's amazing what babies can sleep through when their tired. She hasn't woken to any of the big neighborhood fireworks.
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    They started late here because of the rain and didn't end until after 10:30. Grrr.  DS slept through them like a champ though.  The poor dog did t do quite as well.
  • Options
    Ours went on until 2 a.m. LO wasn't afraid, but it certainly kept waking her up. Not so much the booms, but the squealing ones really woke her up. 
    I had her white noise machine up all the way, and a big box fan turned toward the wall on high, but those high-pitched screeches still were really loud.
  • Options
    We live in North Carolina. It's illegal to buy explosive fireworks here, but everyone just goes to South Carolina to buy them. Always big fireworks stands at the state line. The people just 2 houses up the block set off big ones. They made me jump, I'm surprised LO slept thru it! Kept running inside to check on him. He freaked out at the loud truck horns at the parade we went to, but lucky those were at the end. 
  • Options

Don't think I won't do it! 

• Options
    I live in the country and the neighbors we do have are pretty respectful. We only had 1 night of fireworks. It didn't bother my baby, but my poor dog. He's never had a problem with fireworks even when we lived in the city. But he just paced back and forth and let out a few really high pitched barks. Lol i think he's just getting old
  • Options

Don't think I won't do it! 

One of my neighbors posted this on our neighborhood watch page. 
    Then there was a nasty exchange about respect and "you do you, I'll do me"
    what happened to being neighborly and cutting out the noise after 10pm?
    Noise didn't seem to bother babies, thank goodness!

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!