February 2017 Moms
Options

Overly Anxious Vent and PSA

I was hardly outside at all yesterday, save for the 10-15 minutes I spent dropping off/picking up my daughter at camp (in a wooded area).  I wore long pants, closed-toed shoes and bug spray with deet, everywhere except my ankles.  Lo and behold, I noticed I was bitten three times on my ankle by mosquitoes- the one place I didn't spray.  I live in northern NJ, so no reported domestic cases of Zika here...yet.  The rational part of my brain is telling myself it's most likely fine, but UGH!  It's going to be a long summer at this rate.  The PSA part of my vent is to not neglect your ankles with the bug spray!

Re: Overly Anxious Vent and PSA

• Options
    Yup. MAYBE you worry if you're in Miami or South Texas but otherwise, exhale. I've gotten a ton of bites already this year, even with using DEET. Mosquito-spread Zika is not in the Northeast. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree I think you're safe, but have you guys ever used the citronella wrist bands. I'm not sure if they are safe for us to wear or not, but if so they might help to slide over your foot onto an ankle?? I really haven't looked into though so I'm not sure if they are safe or not.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kswiger06 A great suggestion.  I just looked it up, but it seems as though the wristbands are not all that effective.  Bummer, especially because I loathe bug spray!

• Options
    @laurenmichael725 yes that is a bummer, because I just saw them in a store yesterday and was hoping they would work well as long as they are safe to use. I also don't enjoy bug spray. It can be 80 outside and I'll wear long sleeves and jeans before I spray anything onto my skin. *****My grandma always uses skin so soft as a bug repellent and I think that's safe to use. I haven't used it since I was a child but it might be a good alternative to traditional bug spray. 
    I feel like I might ramble so just bolded what the point was lol :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard skin so soft is good for bugs too. 
    Why didn't you spray your ankles? 
  • Options
    I've heard that creamy baby oil is some of the best bug repellent.

Don't quote me on that, I haven't tried it yet.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    @gingersnap At first I just forgot my ankles, then when I realized I was trying to rush out the door with my two kids and figured it was fine.  It was such a small sliver of skin exposed with the long pants and shoes, and I was just dropping my daughter off at camp; I wasn't planning to be out long.  I definitely learned my lesson!

• Options
    I get bites literally every time I step outside of my house. It's terrible in my neighborhood no matter how much we treat or how much I spray myself down. 

I'm not even a little bit worried.

You'll be fine. 

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • Options
    I live in south Texas. There are mosquitos night and day. I can't count how many bites I've had since I've been pregnant. I am not worried at all. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry, especially in NJ.  I echo what a PP said that Skin So Soft is great for bugs.  
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • Options
    Currently camping and using SSS as a carrier oil and lemon eucalyptus oil with it. I smell like citronella but not one bite! And I'm in the smoky Mountain National forest. 
  • Options
    I love the smell of citronella @cheymarie29
  • Options
    joyful08 said:
    I live in south Texas. There are mosquitos night and day. I can't count how many bites I've had since I've been pregnant. I am not worried at all. 
    Central Texas and same.  Not worried one bit.
    Expecting #5
    Rainbow baby after 3 losses
    Due February, 2017

• Options
    @gingersnap I have used skin so soft all week camping and not one bite! The smell makes me a little nauseous but it works great.