February 2017 Moms
Options

If you have bad morning sickness...

What did your doctor give you?

I had hyperemesis last time. The last 2 days I haven't gotten off the couch I've been so nauseous (but haven't thrown up yet). I've been taking the Pink Stork supplements, wearing the Sea Bands, and taking B6. Today I called to see if I can get a script for Zorfran because I took it all 40 weeks with my daughter. And I don't need it today, but we're going on vacation in 2 days and I wanted to have it with me *in case* it hits me like it did last time. Well, apparently they don't prescribe that anymore. She told me to add Unisom at night, and ginger during the day. I am okay now and I can get by with this. But last time when it hit at 6 weeks, I literally threw up every 30 minutes without it and was hospitalized for dehydration. Is there something new they give now, or am I going to be miserable for the next few months??
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: If you have bad morning sickness...

• Options
    Babymakes5!Babymakes5! member
    edited June 2016
    When I had HG, I was on diclectin(I believe its the Canadian version of this diclegis I have read people mention), Max dose, zofan Max dose, maxeram Max dose, ranitidine (I would still throw up stomach acid, I had wicked reflux but this helped a bit), and then was told to take gravol for break through nausea. That combo is what eventually did it for me. Though, I still ended up needing rehydrated several times even with all the pills. Its really just a balancing act. You need to find exactly what works for you, and when you need what. I know it sucks something fierce, but you will get through. Zofran is handy to take when needed, just remember to account for sleepiness (it always made me tired, I don't know if its supposed to or not) and it causes bad constipation.

ETA. Wait wait wait. They don't prescribe zofran anymore?! That scares me to my core. I don't even know what to tell you in that case. Zofran was probably the backbone of mymed routine and I'm so scared now because my sickness has been amping up and I just feel that sense of impending doom. Knowing that isn't an option is not reassuring.  Last time my Dr told me clear, if it wasnt for the effectiveness of the oral zofran on me, he would have kept me in the hospital.
  • Options
    They just gave me Zofran yesterday for daytime, and diclegis for nights. So I'm assuming it's an OB to OB difference. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Starfish113 could you maybe consult a different OB? 
  • Options
    When I had HG, I was on diclectin(I believe its the Canadian version of this diclegis I have read people mention), Max dose, zofan Max dose, maxeram Max dose, ranitidine (I would still throw up stomach acid, I had wicked reflux but this helped a bit), and then was told to take gravol for break through nausea. That combo is what eventually did it for me. Though, I still ended up needing rehydrated several times even with all the pills. Its really just a balancing act. You need to find exactly what works for you, and when you need what. I know it sucks something fierce, but you will get through. Zofran is handy to take when needed, just remember to account for sleepiness (it always made me tired, I don't know if its supposed to or not) and it causes bad constipation.

ETA. Wait wait wait. They don't prescribe zofran anymore?! That scares me to my core. I don't even know what to tell you in that case. Zofran was probably the backbone of mymed routine and I'm so scared now because my sickness has been amping up and I just feel that sense of impending doom. Knowing that isn't an option is not reassuring.  Last time my Dr told me clear, if it wasnt for the effectiveness of the oral zofran on me, he would have kept me in the hospital.
    I KNOW!!! I was on zofran and reglan. I tried phenergran too but it knocked me out. I literally don't know what I'll do if it's that bad again!! Zofran was definitely what made it semi-bearable. 
  • Options
    @Starfish113 could you maybe consult a different OB? 
    I could but I LOOOOVE this one. I've had her for over 15 years because I had irregular paps in high school. Ugh I might have to though :(
  • Options
    LOLOLOL I just re-read my OP and I typed "zorfran"
  • Options
    I just started Diclegis last night and today I was MS free until 5pm. So it's definitely working for me. The downside was that I was crazy drowsy all morning. I told work I had to take DS to an appt but really I went back to bed until 10am. I've read that you get used to it after a few days so I'm really hoping that's the case for me. I'm just doing the 2 pills at night for now. 

I wasn't medicated for MS last time so I only have the one days worth of experience to share. My OB said they use zofran for breakthrough still but the Diclegis is their go-to med now. 
  • Options
    My pre-pregnancy MFM consult said that zofran was still on the table, but they like to do diclegis and some other options first. 

However, that was more than 6 months ago, and things change over time and practice to practice. My OB said "Oh, we don't do zofran" then gave me IV zofran with fluids, which kind of confused me. 

I'm at B6 three times a day + a whole unisom at bedtime. If I take the unisom at 9:30pm, I'm usually good until at least 7:30pm the next day. The next step is probably an afternoon half unisom and a little caffeine. 
  • Options
    I am insanely jealous of you ladies saying the diclegis works that long! I got exactly 12 hours from the time I took it before the nausea was back...will it build up over time, or should I expect it to keep working the same amount of time as the first day?
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl - I was told start with 2 pills at night and if it doesn't work, add one at breakfast and one at lunchtime but not to exceed 4 pills a day. 

Can you take more?
  • Options
    If I skip a pill, I find that it takes a couple of days before my nausea relief is as good as it was previously. I forgot my lunchtime b-6 and will hope that taking one at bedtime will make tomorrow better. 

Fingers crossed that diclegis relief gets better for you over time. 
  • Options
    I took a half unisom last night and I don't feel so bad today!! Granted, I don't think MS has fully hit yet but this is good. I also took B6 this morning. did you guys find smaller B6 tabs? I could only find 100mg. I know your body expels what you don't need so technically I could take 100mg each time but do you cut the tablet? Or find smaller ones?
  • Options
    @ohstars they told me for now to do the 2 diclegis at night,  then take Zofran for days. My us appt is next Wednesday, so if I'm still not happy by then I'll ask them. I figure that's plenty of giving it time to build up.... but we'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    @WinchesterGirl - fingers crossed that it starts working. I only took one last night to try to avoid the coma I was in yesterday morning. But now I'm laying in bed feeling kinda crappy. hopefully it's just because I'm hungry.  
  • Options
    I haven't had HG and didn't take anything for MS with my last two pregnancies, but I'm taking Diclegis with this one.  The first day after I took the 2 pills at bedtime I was so exhausted all day, to the point that I was concerned I was going to fall asleep driving to work, but after that first day it has been better.  I'm still more tired than usual, but it's manageable.

It does seem like it works a little better after being on it for a few days, and I do feel a lot better much of the time, but I still have episodes of vomiting and episodes of nausea.  I've also found that with it, I have better luck getting rid of the nausea.  Before I started the Diclegis, I tried Pink Stork's tea to relieve my nausea and it didn't do anything for me, but now it actually does help when I start sipping it during a nausea spell.

I've also been taking probiotics and the Pink Stork cocolaurin.  I've been tempted to try adding another Diclegis at breakfast to see if that would get rid of my lingering MS, but I'm nervous about it making my tired.  If I try it, it will be on a weekend when I don't have to go to work.

Oh- I also tried adding apple cider vinegar to my water (I did 1 tbsp per 32 oz) like Pink Stork suggests and while it did keep the water from making me feel as sick,  I've also developed an aversion to doing so (even though I normally actually like the taste of vinegary things).

• Options
    @Starfish113 You actually can get b6 toxicity from supplements, so you're not supposed to supplement more than 100mg/day, although at 3-400mg/day it would take months to build up a toxic amount. 

I get mine off amazon 250 tablets of best naturals 25 mg b6 for $10. When I couldn't wait for Amazon, I got some from the vitamin shoppe - you might have luck at a GNC or similar, too.  

There's nothing wrong with chopping them up, either, I just find they tend to crumble. 

• Options
    Thanks @momousekee! I'll order them from Amazon and chop until they come then!