February 2017 Moms

Intake appointments?

I can't decide if all intake appointments suck, or if my OB's office is a poor fit. 

First, the appointment is 2 hours long. At the very end, there's a pelvic exam and a breast exam. For 2 hours I had to chat with a fully dressed nurse practitioner, while I got to wear a gown with a gaping hole in the back and a paper sheet. It felt like a completely unnecessary power play. 

They re-dated my due date (5 days earlier) based on a ED ultrasound. No discussion and ultrasound CRL dating only has an accuracy of +/- 5-7 days anyway. I'd like to have been a part of that decision. 

Doctor is apparently very weight-focused, and mostly concerned with patients gaining too much weight and having big babies. I had a tiny baby the first time around. My GI made me gain weight before he'd give me the green light for pregnancy because my gastroparesis flares pretty unexpectedly. NP agreed that I shouldn't be pressured to minimize weight gain, but didn't make a note in my chart.

Their timing for NIPT blood work (12+weeks) means that if it comes back with an anomaly, CVS isn't an option - it would have to be an amnio and a TMR would be a much more invasive and involved process. I don't know if that's a choice I'd make - but it's a choice I want to have. 

It felt lacking in science. There were no technical terms, which I sort of understand - not everyone likes medical terminology. However she really skimmed over the tests she was recommending and ordering. 

I know that a lot of the information they cover in that appointment is standard and the NP goes through it with someone new every day, so I want to cut them some slack. On other other hand - meh. It just left an unpleasant taste in my mouth. 

Re: Intake appointments?

• I think if it was me and I felt uncomfortable with multiple things that happened during the appointment, I'd try somewhere new. Sitting in the gown for two hours seems weird to me as well, and the weight thing would make me nervous.

• Sorry that was such a bad experience. I had mine yesterday and did have a different experience in many ways:

1) Discussion was fully-dressed in my midwife's office, only changed for the pelvic at the end.
    2) Midwife was moving it along as quickly as possible since I looked so nauseous, but it did take over two hours anyway.  She kept trying to offer me crackers.  It was cute.  
    3) Very detailed explanation of my genetic testing options without any pressure given in either direction.  Medical terms used once she realized I was a nerd.
    4) Encouraged a healthy diet, recommended snacks and nausea cures as well as exercise, but no pressure about weight at all.

I'm seeing a practice that includes both OBs and midwives, and I wonder if you might be happier in that sort of environment.  What I like about the midwives is that they explain the research and let me make my own decisions about things like exercising with a subchorionic hematoma or whether or not heated yoga is safe.  It's almost like if "Expecting Better" was a person.  At the same time, I like knowing that OBs are nearby if I become high-risk, and I prefer to deliver in a hospital or hospital-connected birthing center.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I knew it was going to be long appointment, but spending 2 hours talking about sensitive medical topics without any underwear seemed kind of excessive. :)
  • That is bizarre! I was at mine yesterday for 3.5 hours, ugh. US, meeting with NP, pelvic exam, lab, and then meeting with insurance. I didn't even realize that was all happening at this particular appointment! I thought I was only there for a follow up from my previous US. I think she glossed over a lot for me bc I'm going to be a STM so that was kind of nice - made things go slightly quicker and she realized I knew what happens. Luckily the rest from now on aren't so long. 
  • SweetTSweetT member
    I don't understand these super long appointments! I was warned my next appointment would take 2 hours. I haven't had it yet but I just don't understand what could possibly take that long.
    I had a nurse appointment where we went over every thing last week for over an hour. She told me to come prepared to answer what genetic tests I'd like but they've already been explained in great detail to me.
    The ultrasound takes 30 minutes, which seems crazy long to me, I had a pap just a few months ago so I know that won't be done again. With my daughter my first appointment was like 45 minutes including ultrasound and I feel like I walked out of there with a great understanding of what to expect over the next 9 months. 

• How far along were you guys when you had this appointment?
  • TanyaG00 said:
    How far along were you guys when you had this appointment?
    8w5d
  • I'm curious as to whether they're called "intake" appointments because you're new to this particular practice?  I'm already a patient with my OB's office, just from my annual exams, and they didn't say anything about a lengthy meeting at my 8-week appointment.  They just told me I'd see the nurse and have a dating ultrasound at 8 weeks.  Are yall having these lengthy meetings with a practice where you're already a patient?
  • I'm curious as to whether they're called "intake" appointments because you're new to this particular practice?  I'm already a patient with my OB's office, just from my annual exams, and they didn't say anything about a lengthy meeting at my 8-week appointment.  They just told me I'd see the nurse and have a dating ultrasound at 8 weeks.  Are yall having these lengthy meetings with a practice where you're already a patient?
    Yep. This is my third pregnancy there. 
  • We have to go through an intake class with other expecting moms in the office. It's at night and sounds super unnecessary if it's not your first pregnancy. I'm already dreading it! Then the following week I have my ultrasound followed by exam. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @fourPsinapod wow!  Do they make you re-do your history and everything each time?
  • I just had mine today. It lasted an hour, this is my second pregnancy and I'm not a new patient there. 

They have a "patient educator" go through everything with me, except it was all stuff I knew. And the packet she gave us had internet print outs from 2002... I was not impressed. Luckily I love my midwife haha

• My intake was done over the phone. I am not sure if that is because I am a STM since with my first it was in office. It took about 30 minutes and she talked me through my genetic testing options, updated my medical history, and told me not to travel to southern US border states during my pregnancy and to watch the CDC updates on Zika and take their recommendations as they will disseminate updates faster than my OB office. 

I have my US Friday (8 weeks based on and my LMP) and first OB appointment at 11 weeks where I will schedule any genetic testing and do the pap. 
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @fourPsinapod wow!  Do they make you re-do your history and everything each time?
    They ask update questions. It still takes a decent chunk of time. Pretty annoying! 
  • @fourPsinapod thank you for the info!
  • We scheduled it for 6w+3, but now I'm 7+1. 

This is my first pregnancy at the practice, but I'm not new.