Pregnant after IF

First OB visit - what questions to ask?

Good morning. I have my first OB visit tomorrow and have a list of questions to ask him. But wanted to know if I'm missing anything or if I should be asking anything else. Any other suggestions for the first OB visit? Thanks!
  • How much weight should I gain, and at what rate?
  • Do I have an increased risk of any specific complications or conditions?
  • What type of testing do you recommend and when are they to be done?
  • Can I travel long distances, or be in a car for several hours at a time. Also, when should I stop air travel?
  • What kind of diet should I follow? What should I eat and drink a lot of, and what should I avoid?
  • Should I be doing any particular kind of exercise? What kind and amount is safe?
  • Are there any restrictions on sex throughout my pregnancy?
  • Are there any restrictions I need to know about traveling while pregnant?
  • Can I… Dye my hair? Use sunless tanner? Get a massage? Paint my nails? Go to the spa? Are there any changes to my beauty routine I need to make?
  • What over-the-counter medications are safe, and in what amount? Are there any I should avoid?
  • What position should I sleep in?
  • What symptoms should I expect, and how can I manage them? What’s normal, and what should I call you about?
  • What should I do if I…Don’t feel well? Have cramping? Spotting? Run a fever?
  • When labor begins, at what point should I call you?
  • What is your position on… Inductions? Scheduled c-sections? Epidurals and other pain medications? Episiotomies? Vacuum and forceps usage? IVs and EFMs? Delayed cord clamping? What are my options?
  • When is a good time to call you with questions? Who should I call if you aren’t available? Can I email you if I have questions?
***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
TTC - since 2014
7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
IVF #1 - March 2016
Retrieval #1 - April 2016
FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
Trying for baby #2...
FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
Trying for baby #3...
FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

Re: First OB visit - what questions to ask?

• Wow!  Your list is extensive.  I think it's great you are finding out your Ob's position on different pregnancy and delivery type of things.  You may not get all your questions answered as some just depend on what happens (your test results) in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.

Similar to your bullet point #2, I'd ask if the practice considers you high risk due to IVF/FET/ICSI (if applicable).  My Ob's practice used all those as reasons and a few others to determine I'm high risk.  

Also, depending on how large the practice is, ask what hospitals she/he has privileges in and if they will be the actual Ob delivering.  Example:  My Ob is in a large practice with multiple locations.  If I had liked one hospital over another, I would have had to change doctors (but stay in the same practice).  Also, my Ob may or may not be my delivering doctor as the Obs rotate daily within the practice location at the hospital I will be giving birth in.
  • @Piperella Good point, I will add your suggestion about asking if I'd be considered high risk due to IVF. My doctor is part of a private practice that's just him and his brother. He's only affiliated with 1 hospital, but I will also ask if he's the one delivering. Good thing is that my friend delivered with him and had a very positive experience. Thanks for your feedback! 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Loading the player...
  • ZoeFerZoeFer member
    I am impressed with your long list of questions !
    In my clinic, they gave us a start-up reading materials and some of these questions are already in there, like diet, over the counter medications etc. But you can still ask. But I agree with PP that some questions really depend on how your pregnancy goes. You can also ask them as the time comes. It  is definitely important how you need to reach them in case of emergency or just non-emergency questions.
    Also, I mentioned that I have PCOS and asked them if they change any treatment accordingly. Because the hormones and insulin levels could be altered due to PCOS. 
    You can also ask and discuss about the prenatal testings, what do they suggest: NIPT, NT , carrier tests, sequential tests. You need to decide soon which first trimester testing you are going to take.

• Thanks @ZoeFer! Just added your testing questions to my list. Not even sure what all those test are, but tomorrow will be a good day to find out. I also have PCOS, so am adding that in there as well. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...