May 2016 Moms

Babywearing

2»

Re: Babywearing

• aehogan90 said:
    arj14 said:

The K'Tan looks really interesting!  For the people who have it, do you think it has a generally low learning curve for those who aren't too knowledgeable about baby wearing?  I was looking at how it's worn and how it looks to start with with the two loops and it looks a bit intimidating to me (but my wrap / wearing knowledge & experience is practically zero)
    It's very user friendly. There is a booklet that shows you the different ways to wear and plenty of videos on YouTube I'm sure. It might be slightly confusing the first time but then it's a breeze. I had zero baby wearing knowledge prior.
    Yes! I learned by youtube videos! It was intimidating at first but super awesome now. It made my first solo outing experience really nice and easy. Just make sure you YouTube how to wear newborns.
  • arj14 said:

The K'Tan looks really interesting!  For the people who have it, do you think it has a generally low learning curve for those who aren't too knowledgeable about baby wearing?  I was looking at how it's worn and how it looks to start with with the two loops and it looks a bit intimidating to me (but my wrap / wearing knowledge & experience is practically zero)
    I could figure out how to use it, so I think you could. lol It doesn't take long to put on and get situated either, which is nice. It does get warm though, but they have a version that's made more of mesh and good for the summer weather!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Loading the player...
  • This is random and I don't mean to hijack but this seems like the best place to ask - is anyone else concerned about sun exposure while baby wearing? I have the k'tan active and Ergo 360 and I used a blanket when it was cooler to shade his limbs, but it's way too hot now to do that. He has hats but I'm worried about his arms and legs. If I walk 20 blocks or am outside for an extended period I feel like he's going to be burned. I really want to be able to take both kids to the park on my own. Any advice?
  • slfezzslfezz member
    I have the original ergo with newborn insert. I've used it several times now and love it. Even with dealing with the insert, it only takes a few minutes to get it on. The only thing I worry about is getting to hot when we are outside. LO loves being in it most of the time and will quickly fall asleep if I'm walking. 

For sun exposure, I'm not too worried since LO keeps her arms in and hands  next to her face and her legs don't stick out yet. I have her in the frog leg position outside of the insert but her heels end up sitting just inside the carrier. The original ergo has the sun shade so I use that to cover her upper body. 
  • bkjadebkjade member
    Bltbear82 said:
    This is random and I don't mean to hijack but this seems like the best place to ask - is anyone else concerned about sun exposure while baby wearing? I have the k'tan active and Ergo 360 and I used a blanket when it was cooler to shade his limbs, but it's way too hot now to do that. He has hats but I'm worried about his arms and legs. If I walk 20 blocks or am outside for an extended period I feel like he's going to be burned. I really want to be able to take both kids to the park on my own. Any advice?
    I've been dressing Jet in loose fitting muslin kimono onesies if I'm trying to keep my hands free. We have a few of these and I love them:

When we are walking the dog and I'm not worried about keeping my hands free sometimes I'll rock a parasol to keep both of us covered. 
  • bkjade said:
    Bltbear82 said:
    This is random and I don't mean to hijack but this seems like the best place to ask - is anyone else concerned about sun exposure while baby wearing? I have the k'tan active and Ergo 360 and I used a blanket when it was cooler to shade his limbs, but it's way too hot now to do that. He has hats but I'm worried about his arms and legs. If I walk 20 blocks or am outside for an extended period I feel like he's going to be burned. I really want to be able to take both kids to the park on my own. Any advice?
    I've been dressing Jet in loose fitting muslin kimono onesies if I'm trying to keep my hands free. We have a few of these and I love them:

When we are walking the dog and I'm not worried about keeping my hands free sometimes I'll rock a parasol to keep both of us covered. 
    Thanks! I'm picturing you strolling around Williamsburg with a parasol! I think I'm overthinking this. Just anticipate being outside all weekend and want to figure out a plan. 
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited June 2016
    Is it bad that I'm not too worried about the sun? I do try to pick areas with shade and I'll put him in a light hat if it's very sunny, but I think he'll likely get too hot before we get to a point where he'll get too much sun. I use coconut oil on his skin too which has a natural spf 8...not much, but something. My pediatrician did advise us that if we were going to be in the sun a lot, to go ahead and use an organic or zinc oxide based sunscreen like Blue Lizard and just bathe him afterwards.

Eta: If I'm using the K'tan, I'll pull it over his head a bit if it's sunny and he's sleeping:

• bkjadebkjade member
    Bltbear82 said:
    I'm picturing you strolling around Williamsburg with a parasol! I think I'm overthinking this. Just anticipate being outside all weekend and want to figure out a plan. 
    HA! My husband makes fun of me and I'm sure I look like a TOTAL Williamsburg hipster. I figure the old ladies in Chinatown doing it know what's up. No sunburnt baby though, so until we can use sunscreen I'll sacrifice a little bit of my cool factor. :wink:
  • missnc77 said:
    while I drank a beer in the shower. 
    You're awesome. 
    Lol. Gotta multitask! ;)
  • edited July 2016
    Well for science tonight I get to find out how good a poop explosion blow out up the back comes out of a white thick ergo infant insert. :/ 

I will report back with an edit tomorrow. 

Edit: it did finally. I used old cloth diaper tricks with the wash and then sunned it. The sunning finally worked to leave no trace.  
  • @kbrands7 I'm not that worried about sun exposure either except for more extended periods. The boy needs his vitamin D. If it's a longer walk, I cover him up but I don't worry about it for quick trips to the store etc. Of course, I've had the "your baby needs a HAT" comments as a result.
  • 1) Do you have a carrier(s)? If so, which one? What do you like/dislike about it? Moby and Ergo. I love the Moby once I figured it out. I am trying the Ergo today. I had to watch a YouTube video on how to do the Moby, if your LO runs hot the Moby gets a bit steamy, but the benefits (for me) outweigh the negative.

2) How do you think you will use the carrier most often? Ie around the house, hikes. I use the carrier mostly outside of the house since I have a 3yo as well. Although I will use the Moby at home during the witching hour bc it seems to soothe her.

3) Any comments, questions or other tips? Nope

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• We used the k'tan active yesterday while browsing shops downtown. Lark slept the entire time. I had to adjust the shoulder placement so her head had some support. It worked really well. I also have a onya carrier with an infant insert but I haven't quite figured out the best adjustment, her head tips forward towards me a lot if she falls asleep, I really like the carrier though and think it will work better when she is a bit bigger
  • I've never been more grateful for babywearing than this weekend. I used the k'tan active to take our toddler and friends to the boardwalk on Friday, and it was literally the only reason I was able to eat at all yesterday. This second leap was kicking my butt with all our visitors but as soon as I put Kasper in the k'tan he calms down and naps so well. My back and hips are another story entirely, but yay for free hands!
  • @Bltbear82 Yeah we are in full leap mode over here too and the only thing that works aside from the whole swaddle-paci-shush-jiggle dance (not practical when you have a toddler) is putting her in the pack and walking around. We met up with friends at a park for a picnic in the afternoon and she basically stayed in the pack asleep for 3 hours and my back was killing me when I got home but it works!
  • We're also in the middle of a leap and the k'tan was a lifesaver yesterday! She would not sleep and was wicked fussy so I popped her in there and walked around DH's aunts yard while we were there. She didn't fall asleep but calmed right down, until it was time to go and as soon as I took her out it was back to screaming. It was almost funny how quick she calmed down when I put her in and then how quickly she screamed when out
  • My LO sleeps nicely in the carrier (Beco Gemini) but he still tends to wake up when it's feeding time and starts pecking at my chest while crying. Apparently you can breastfeed in this thing but I can't get the hang of what's required to breastfeed in public so I am SOL if he starts freaking. 
  • I have a Solly wrap that I love. It's still a little tricky to make sure that it's tied just right. Sometimes she seems a little high up but she usually ends up sliding down a little bit so it all works out. I'll put her in there so I can get things done around the house. I imagine I'll use it more in the fall because it's just so hot right now. Today is supposed to be 100 degrees! 
  • arj14arj14 member
    Question for Lillebaby users - when did you switch from the fetal position carry to the narrow seat infant carry?  Any certain weight?  S is still only about 8 lbs and we tried the latter today and I'm not sure if she's really ready yet.  It was also the first time we really tried to use the carrier at all though too.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @arj14 LO is about 8 pounds and we are far from the narrow seat infant carry. She even seems too small for the fetal position sometimes!
  • arj14arj14 member
    PYLWhammy said:
    @arj14 LO is about 8 pounds and we are far from the narrow seat infant carry. She even seems too small for the fetal position sometimes!

***SIB***

Sadface. :(  I was thinking that position might be easier to get her in to and the video said 7 lbs and up... oh well.  I tried again with with the fetal position and we did okay for about 20 minutes before she got too warm.  I have the All Seasons and I had the mesh part exposed but it was hard to tell how much it was really helping.

In other news, I ordered a K'Tan Active today that I'm looking forward to trying out!
    Anniversary

• For those of you who have both the K'tan breeze and original.... Is there a reason to have both? I have the original but the breeze breathes better. If you start with the breeze, do you need another ?
  • I have the breeze and I don't think I need another ktan. It works well for me!
  • I have a Moby and a Chicco (like a bjorn) which I used with my now 3 year old.  I have used the Moby a few times with this LO and was surprised that I could remember how to tie it!  I know you can use the Moby in a variety of different ways until LO is older but I prefer a structured carrier when they get older for ease of getting in and out (and on and off). 

My husband preferred the Chicco last time and I think I'm going to look into other structured carriers that do front-facing but have better hip support for LO for when she gets older - and heavier.

But I am currently loving our Lullabu shirt now in the middle of summer - if you haven't seen it, it is a tank top with a built in pouch so it is effortless and unlike the Moby, when the baby is out of it, it isn't bulky or annoying and just looks like a top. I find myself wearing it a few times a week (sometimes all day, sometimes for just when I want to wear her).  It does have a limited lifespan as she will grow out of it very soon but for right now it is great.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have an Infantino something or other. It's more structured and has worked on DH, but LO just gets pissy when I wear her in it. She headbangs my chest and it freaks me out, so I decided to order the K'tan Active. Can't wait to give it a go!! Maybe I'll get the Infantino to work on me later...I'm not giving up on it.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• arj14arj14 member
    I got my K'Tan Active in the mail a couple days ago.  The first time I tried to wear S I put her in a semi-reclined position which didn't really work for us, she wasn't able to be supported by the carrier alone and the carrier felt way too big on me.  Today I put her in the kangaroo carry and that went sooo much better.  I was definitely more comfortable but will probably practice more around the house before I try to go out with her.  I am worried about head support with this one though, not sure the best way to achieve that.
    Anniversary

• st3llast3lla member
    We have a Girasol ring sling, moby wrap and ergo 360. A friend also loaned me a woven wrap but I haven't had time to figure it out yet. So far I've only used the ring sling. It was a bit of a learning curve for us but now both DH and I really like it. 

Pros: puts DH to sleep so he actually gets a nap (he's a bad day sleeper) and we can get things done (eating, light housework, etc), it's really pretty (colour is primavera diamond weave), good resale value in baby wearing groups (will probably get back almost what we paid unless it gets damaged), quick to get on and off, portable (I keep it in the diaper bag), fits both DH and I with some adjusting. 

Cons: gets us both pretty hot and sweaty this summer, hard to do chores that require bending down.