TTC After a Loss

Temping or OPKs?

After our loss, I'm looking into different ways to help the TTC process along. I never used either method the first time and I have a feeling I tend to ovulate later in my cycle so that might make it harder to track. Temping does intimidate me a little, but I hate to spend a ton of money on OPKs. Any suggestions? 

Re: Temping or OPKs?

• They both do sort of different things to facilitate the TTC process. Temping will only confirm ovulation after it has happened. OPKs will give you a heads up when your LH is surging and your body is gearing up to ovulate.

I temped for years and once I was in a routine, it was no big deal. As far as OPKs you can get some pretty inexpensively on Amazon. Most people on the Bump use Wondfo brand.

Good luck!
  • I combine temping and OPKS. I also chart my CM and CP patterns. I take OPKS until O is confirmed through temping. 
  • Loading the player...
  • What PP said! 

Also, I was super nervous to temp at first. I thought it would stress me out and that I wouldn't see a clear shift. None of that proved to be true. It just becomes a part of your normal routine.

If you temp I recommend using a Mabis BBT. To track everything I recommend Fertility Friend (it's an app) because it basically does all of the work in pinpointing an O day for you. Even better, if you use OPKs FF will take the results from those as well as results about cervical mucus (if you check it) to paint a nice little picture of your cycle and when you truly O. I believe I pay about $23 on Amazon for enough Wondfos to last 3 or more cycles (it's a 50 pack that also usually comes with 20 HPTs). It's nice to have both because OPKs give you a warning and temping confirms it happened. 

Good luck!
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Me: 26 DH: 24
    Married: November 2015  <3
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    Computer Hope
  • I second everything @aliciagoose said. My wakeup time varies from day to day so I set an alarm to temp every morning at 6am. What's nice about my thermometer is that when you turn it on it shows the last temp taken so I can take it then go back to sleep for a little and check what my temp was an hr before. The opks are good bc through using those and temping, I found I ovulate late at day 19-21 of a 30-33 day cycle. I usually start testing around day 14 or 15 and do it in the morning and then around 5:30pm to check. Fertility friend is good bc my shift after O is only by .2 or .3 and if I wasn't using the app, I wouldn't know that. 

It seems like a lot at first but once you get into the swing of things, it's not that bad! Good luck!
  • carterh33carterh33 member
    edited June 2016
    Thank you all! This may sound silly, but I heard something that if you're a mouth breather when you sleep that it would affect your temps. I've also heard that you can't get out of bed either in the middle of the night to use the bathroom because that would change your temp when you took it at your normal time. Is that true?
  • AliciaGooseAliciaGoose member
    edited June 2016
    @carterh33 I'm both an occasional mouth breather and also a middle of the night pee-er. I basically have trained myself to put the thermometer in my mouth whenever I wake up. If it's anytime close to my 5:30 temp time, I usually use it. If it's way early I record it, and then temp again at normal time. Sometimes I average the two. Sometimes I pick one. FF will just give you open circles to say the temp wasn't at your normal time. Sometimes I end up with a lot of open circles, but I'm still able to see a shift. The important part is that you want 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep before you take a temp, and that you should take it before you get up (which means keep it somewhere you can grab without moving a lot. Mine goes under my pillow). You'll mess up sometimes, but it's ok!

The other thing to know is that your first chart (or even first couple) might be messy. It takes some getting used to. But you'll get there!
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Computer Hope
  • I'm a restless sleeper and wake up multiple times per night. My temps are rarely taken at the same time every day, but they are generally when I am most well rested, which IMO is more important to assure accuracy. Like @AliciaGoose said, whenever you wake up, take your temp first. I also put mine under my pillow. I've never set an alarm and have never had consistent times, but have always seen a temp shift. Honestly, even if you're horrible about the method, trying to temp is better than not temping at all. It generally will tell you something about your cycles. 

If mouth breathing is a major issue, some women temp vaginally. Not my cup of tea, but another option. 
  • I agree with @Wishilivedinflorida. I'm still waiting for my first AF post-D&C, but when I was temping before getting pregnant I had a couple months of horrible insomnia, colds, and I was temping any time from 2 am til 8 am, but I always saw a shift that corresponded with a 14 day luteal phase. I did both OPKs and temping and probably will do that again starting next cycle.
  • Thank you all so much for the advice! This really helps!  <3
  • You can always temp vaginally if you're concerned about mouth breathing ;)
  • edited June 2016
    @carterh33 Like PPs I am also a restless sleeper. I get up at least once but usually twice to pee, I toss and turn, grind my teeth and generally just move about a lot. I also breathe through my mouth occasionally. I don't set an alarm and sometimes my temps are taken at an hour or two difference and my ovulation pattern is always, always clear. 

It seems overwhelming at first, but you definitely get used to it. GL!
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• @carterh33 Everyone above has had terrific advice regarding OPK's + temping combined. I just started doing both this cycle -  Wondfos for OPKs and Mabis for BBT temperature. (And actually, it sounds like @AliciaGoose and I order from the same Amazon seller). I'm a mouth breather and a restless sleeper/middle of the night pee-er + BD-er. I'd refrained from temping for the same reasons you have.

I have only temped once each morning around the same time (6 AM) regardless of if I'd woken up a few hours prior, but I still had a noticeable rise AND it occurred right after 48 straight hours of positive OPKs! It was awesome and really brought relief to my fear that I haven't been ovulating. Now I'm pretty positive I do. At least for this cycle I did. 

I know I can only speak on my own experience but, I highly recommend doing temping and OPKs together. Both methods "back each other up," so to speak. For a few months' (or cycles') worth of supplies, the two are a total of about $30. That's $23 for the pack of 50 Wondfo OPKs + 20 HPTs and $7 for the Mabis thermometer. 
  • Just opk's here - but just the cheapie wondfos. It totally worked the first time ( got pregnant first month after using them) - but we dont seem to be too lucky this time around. Cycle is different
    Me:35, DH 37  ~ Married July 2014
    ttc July 2015 ~ bfp Nov 2015 (cp)
    bfp Dec 2015 ~ (tfmr 17wk, March 2016, genetic disease)
    ttcal May 2016
  • Just charting here. I not only add my temperature but also my cervical fluid and also ovulatory pain and position of my cervix.

i find that temp will give you a general idea of how your cycles go. You can see the shift and estimate what will happen in the current month. Cervical fluid is the most definitive sign of your fértile days though. Also the position of your cervix will change during your fértile week.

i have never used oPKs because they are not that easy to buy where I live and they are more expensive too! 

So so far I don't have trouble getting PG bbut staying PG for more than 6w.
    Married 06.21.14 / TTC since 11.15 /
    BFP 01.03.2016 / MMC 6w5d D&C 02.2016 // BFP 05.06.16 / natural MC 05.12.16
    Benched 06.2016-08.2016 / TTC again 09.2016! On a diet. Cranky.
    BFP 10.02.2016 / NT scan at 12w looked normal / Anatomy scan at 20w everything ok
    Team blue! / EDD June 11th 2017
    DAVID ROGER was born on May 23rd at 37 weeks.

Architect, Peruvian living in Chile. I love art, opera and good chocolate.
    Started PhD studies in Architecture on 2017.
    Fur mom of a rescued miniature poodle called Luke Skywalker.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Very helpful thread here!  I just added Wondfo OPKs and a Mabis BBT to my amazon shopping cart!  I, too, have interrupted sleep cycles.  I typically wake up around 8, but about half of the time I also temporarily wake up at 5 when my husband goes to work.  I'm guessing 8 would still be an ok time to take my temp.  Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences!!
  • Has anyone else had trouble using Clearblue OPKs? This is the second box that I have used and gotten an error message. I followed the instructions perfectly and got an error message this morning. When I got an error message with the other box it never went back to working correctly. Definitely going to start temping and using Wondfos next cycle. Im going to try using the Clearblue again when I get home _ i am just hoping I can confirm O this cycle.
  • @TScalei I've had trouble with them for other reasons, but never an error message before! That's strange. How many days before predicted O did you start using them?
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Computer Hope
  • @AliciaGoose - Im on CD11 and usually O around CD 16. Really wanted to confirm O this cycle. Have you had better luck with another brand?
  • @TScalei That should be early enough. Hm, I'm not sure! I use them in conjunction with Wondfos cause I like to see the peak on the CBAD line up with the +OPK when possible. Are you using the digital or the advanced digital? (Pink or purple?)
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Computer Hope
  • I just got my Wondfos in the mail today! Thank you for all the advice!
  • @AliciaGoose - digital (pink).