October 2016 Moms

Big Baby- please share your experiences with me!

Hello fellow soon-to-be Mamas! 

At my anatomy scan my baby boy was measuring about 2 weeks ahead. My OB didn't seem too concerned and said that they don't take genetics into account with measurements. (I am 5'11, DH is 6'5) We are both tall people! My OB even commented on baby's surprising long femur length saying that I am no small fry and that my baby won't be either. 

I recently had my 24 week appointment. At this appointment my OB measured my belly (from my belly button to the top of my uterus) and she said that I am measuring at 26 weeks. Which again, is two weeks ahead. At this appointment my OB ordered another ultrasound with radiology for around 30 weeks to reassess how big the baby is. She said that she might move to my due date based on the ultrasound results. 

I am really worried that this baby will be fairly big and that I won't be able to have him naturally. I was 9 pounds 14oz at birth, and DH was almost 9 pounds as well. Both of our mothers had us vaginally. I was told that if your baby is projected to be over 10 pounds that you are advised to have a C-section. Has anyone heard of this? Has anyone experienced giving birth to a larger baby? I am a FTM and I really want to have this baby naturally, but I also know that I cannot control what happens and I have to just go with the flow.

Thank you all in advanced! I can't wait to read about your experiences & advice.  

Re: Big Baby- please share your experiences with me!

• PeggyOlsonFTWPeggyOlsonFTW member
    edited June 2016
    When I was pregnant with DS, I was concerned he was going to be big. My brother and I were 9 and 10lbs and my husband and his siblings were all 8-11lbs and have big heads. I didn't measure large until my 40 week appointment, where my OB send me for an ultrasound to measure baby and fluid levels. My fluids were fine, but the tech thought DS was about 10.5lbs with a big head. My OB said I could either opt for the scheduled csection, or I could be induced and try for a vaginal delivery. I opted for the induction, as I didn't want to wonder "what if" and I've heard many, many times that ultrasound measurements can be off by a lot. The induction went fine, but I ended up having a csection anyway, because after hours and hours of pushing, DS just wasn't coming out. I found out later that it had more to do with my pelvis being misaligned than it did DS's size and with the help of a chiropractor I'm trying for a VBAC this time around.

So, my advice is try not to fret too much. Ultrasound measurements can be off. I've never ever heard that if baby is thought to be over 10lbs you should have a csection. I say to do whatever you can to get your body ready for delivery and if you want to try for a vaginal delivery, then go for it! And if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. You still get a beautiful baby at the end!

ETA: DS ended up being almost a full pound smaller than the ultrasound estimate too! Still pretty big, but not quite as ginormous as everyone thought he was going to be.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Peanut ia measuring a week and a half ahead. He has the whole time. Dr says not to worry. Both FI and i were big babies. Both of us were 9 pound babies. Our anatomy scan showed peanut has a larger head also. I want to deliver with no medication, but I'm also expecting a c section. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a FTM but I'll tell you a friend's experience.  She isn't overly tall (maybe 5'8? 5'9?) with her FI slightly taller.  Her baby was measuring at 40 weeks almost a month before he was due.  I was sure she was going to go early but she ended up being a few days late! She was still able to have him vaginally weighing at 9lbs 14oz.

I'd say if trying to go naturally is important to you, then try, and if after a certain amount of time the doctor starts advising you with a plan B then you go from there, but at least you can say you tried.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Yes, I go for growth ultrasounds for MFM to monitor growth and later, movement, and was told if the baby is too big a c section is safer because if the baby (usually the shoulders) gets stuck when I'm trying to deliver vaginally there is the risk of neurological damage and I think other physical injury to the baby. But I wasn't told a specific weight limit and I know the ultrasound weight estimates can be off as people mentioned. Personally I don't have my heart set on one birth plan since I know there are a few factors that are way beyond my control but I'd suggest talking with your doctor so they know how strongly you feel about wanting a vaginal delivery. I could be misunderstanding but from what you said it almost sounds like if they're considering moving your EDD up maybe they would induce you early? Good luck either way!
  • I know a lot of women that have given birth vaginally to 10 pound babies. I think if you have it set in your heart to have a vaginal north, I say go for it. 
    Big babies run in DH's family. DD was 8 lb 11 oz and I expect this baby boy to be even bigger. I am definitely going for vaginal and if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out. I'm small as well. But DH was a 12 lb baby, his mom had him vaginally. 
    The measurements can definitely be off as well, so take that into account. I was told DD was going to be 6-7 lb and they were way off. 
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • F47F47 member
    I would try not to stress, but I realize that's easier said than done. My little guy is also measuring big. DS1 also measured big (90 percentile from scans), and was 8 lbs, 14 oz. a sizable baby, but not gigantic. And I was 6 days "overdue." I had no problems delivering him vaginally. 

Typically second babies are bigger, so I am probably growing a 9 pounder, but there's nothing I can do about that. I'm 5'8" and hubby is 6'4", but I read that dad's genes don't play as big of a part in baby's size. I was 9 lbs at birth, so that's probably why my babies are big.

I wish I could have a small 6 or 7 pound baby, but let's be honest. No baby is a piece of cake to deliver. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I've never understood why they move due dates just because a baby is measuring big.  Some babies are just big!  Especially if you know your ovulation date, it doesn't make sense to me to move your due date up, bc then you're running the risk of them wanting to induce you because you're "late".

Anywho, I had a 9lb 7oz baby, and while I had a 2nd degree tear, the delivery wasn't complicated, pushed for 30 mins, and recovery wasn't bad at all.  I was 9lb 8oz when I was born, H was 8ish lbs I think.  This baby is already looking on the large side in my ultrasound, but when they measured my belly at 24 weeks I was right on track.  Who knows?

You do what you and your doctors are most comfortable with, but if it were me, I would attempt to birth vaginally and if it ended up in a c-section, so be it.  Plenty of people have no issues birthing 9+ lb babies, I wouldn't panic just yet.  Fun fact: they thought dd was going to be 7ish lbs.  Weight estimates can be way off in both directions.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • LGW2015LGW2015 member
    edited June 2016
    Mine measured a week ahead at 19 and 24 week ultrasounds, but I keep reading that because babies grow at various rates at this point, it doesn't mean he will necessarily be big when born. It can change week to week. Not sure how accurate that is (wishful thinking?), just thought I'd share what I've read haha
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm only 4 days ahead but I'm going all vag if they offer me a c-section I'm going to tell them to keep the cutting to the paper. My cousins children where c-section we had our daughters around the same time I was out at the park 48 hours after my daughter was born my cousin was still in the hospital, I took my son to school everyday after my daughter was born my cousin was stuck in bed doing only what her and baby needed for 2 weeks almost 3 she had to hire someone to walk her older kids to school.

Side note my great grandmother birthed my grandfather on the kitchen table alone in 1913 and he weighed in at 13lbs he still holds the record for size at birth at our island museum maybe this little alien will beat him and kick my grandfather down to 2nd place lol.
  • Go for it! I teach a childbirth class and I can tell you that I have seen some amazingly large babies born to relatively small moms completely naturally (like 10 and 11 pounders!). Ultrasounds are up to 20% off on estimating size and become less accurate later in pregnancy. It is quite rare that your body would grow a baby that can't come out the "correct" way- not that csections aren't correct, but biologically speaking, it's not what happens in the animal kingdom. My suggestion would be to be open to lots of position changes in labor- walk, squat, water if that feels good, hands and knees- when it comes to pushing, same thing- change position frequently. Often big babies have a hard time being born vaginally because the alignment with the pelvis has to be perfect to work. Changing your position can make an enormous difference.
    Example: I had a mom last summer give birth to a 10 pound baby girl in 4 hours with no drugs. She got to the hospital pretty far along and got right in the tub, hoping to have a water birth. When progress was slow, they got her out and checked her- things were fine, so they tried pushing on her hands and knees and then on her side. One push on her side and baby just came out- all 10 pounds of her. 

Educate yourself on options at your birth place for different positions for labor and delivery. Talk with your provider about it. Good luck!
    DS 5/10/13
    New Bundle of Joy- EDD 10/27/16
  • I delivered a 10lb 4oz Baby vaginally without an issue!  My sisters were 10lb 9oz and 10lb 8oz.  Neither of us were advised to have c sections.  Measurements and ultrasounds really are estimates.  Your body will do what it needs to.  Try not to stress it.
  • I agree with @maysmiles on the position thing.  I went back and forth between my back and pushing while laying on my side while H and a med student held my legs since I had an epidural.  Must've done the trick, I have no clue what was going on down there.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm a FTM but my cousin just had a baby on new years. He was measuring ahead and it was suggested to induce him early at 36 weeks. She wanted a natural birth. Two weeks later they suggested it again, saying if she didn't do it immediately she would have to have a c-section. They induced at 38 weeks. The baby wasn't coming. He was in distress. They suggested a c-section. She wanted a natural birth. He got stuck on her pelvis and became oxygen deprived. They ended up having to cut her open to the anus and wrench the baby out. They were at a small clinic. Baby was taken away and life flighted two hours away. She was in the hospital for ten days recovering from the cut. She missed the first 10 days of her baby's life. At almost 6 months he still can't move the arm that got stuck. 
    Not trying to be an alarmist, clearly most big babies are just fine, but sometimes doctors know what they're talking about. Advocate for yourself but listen to your doctor, too!!
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019
  • Omg @books&icecream I'm so sorry to hear that your cousin went, and is still going, through that. That's along the lines of why, although I think everyone's wishes and initial plan should be taken into consideration by their providers, I plan to be open to following what medical doctors are telling me. I don't want my experience of my child's birth to be tainted by disappointment about the way or time she's delivered, and I am too afraid to risk her life and health because I want to give birth a particular way if it gets to be AMA. I know that it could have been even worse but, such a sad situation  :'(
  • I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. Babies grow at different rates. When I was pregnant with my first I kept measuring ahead. My dr (that I no longer see) kept telling me how big he was going to be and we might consider inducing. At about 36 weeks, he guessed him to be well over 8lbs already. I ended up getting induced at 39 weeks because I believe he intentionally broke my water and my contractions never started but that's another story. When he didn't make much progress, they started prepping me for a c section for this big ole baby. I refused and they let me push. I pushed this big baby out for 3 hours. He was 6lbs and 12oz!! True story. 
    To add to that, my baby's father is also 6'5". My second baby looked really tall on the ultrasound. I got 2nd degree tears pushing him out. He was only 7lbs 7oz and 19in. Birth is most likely going to be ugly no matter so like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about it now. You just don't know how big, or small, your baby may end up being until they're here.  :)

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Mintz1982Mintz1982 member
    edited June 2016
    You have to look at a lot of factors big baby does not mean the same in every situation a big baby I high could weight the same as a big baby in chub shoulders are usually the biggest problem in birth that cause a c-section but that does not mean every baby with a big head aND shoulders with a c-section either. My family is full of a bunch of giants 6"1 is my shortest uncle 6"7 is the tallest my grandfather was almost 7" however I take after the other side of my family all a bunch of petit shorties my dad is 5"4 I'm 5"3 my first child was a short fat baby he was 7lbs 6oz but only 17 inches now he's tall and skinny. My second she was 22 inches and only 6lbs 7oz. So just because your baby measures big does not mean big in weight. My grandfather was the same he was all hight not fat mine you in 1900s they never knew about induction so who knows how overdue my grandfather was but he was always a very tall dutch man. Women have been birthing big babies for generations.
  • With my first, I measured right on target right up to 40 weeks when I was induced.  I vaginally delivered a 10lb 6oz baby.. I had a third degree tear, but otherwise no complications.  My second baby, we did a growth ultrasound at 36 weeks and the only thing that looked big was his head measuring two weeks ahead.  He was born weighing 9lbs 2oz. I'm not a big person, nor am I super tiny, but still managed to deliver two bigger babies without issue.. and shoulder problems like the ones described above can happen with any size baby (also not trying to be an alarmist, but I've seen 10lb babies with shoulder dystocias and I've seen 6lb babies with shoulder dystocias..)..make your wishes known and adjust your plans accordingly if baby needs you to.
  • Just chiming in. Out of my 3 so far, my 10 pound 3 oz baby was BY FAR my easiest delivery. 5 minutes of pushing, no tears. My smallest baby was my toughest taking 3 hours of pushing. There's so much more than size to labor. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm not sure if this was already mentioned above, but remember your body was made to have your baby. Your body will move and adjust to get baby out safely. Additionally, at this stage, you really won't know how big baby is going to be come game day. I gained 40 lbs with DS, and he was consistently measuring "ahead" in our high-risk ultrasounds. All the ultrasound techs said I was going to have a "big" baby. It scared me, because I so badly wanted a natural delivery. For other reasons I've mentioned in the past, I had a scheduled CS at 40+1 without going into labor. My son was 8lbs 1oz -- IMO that's not "big".

Try not to let it stress you out. Continue to plan your delivery the way you had envisioned it -- natural, med free, with drugs, CS, whatever. <3 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Just wanted to chime in. I always meaure big, even with my first baby. In fact I was so ahead at one point they were sure it was twins cause I was so big. Ultrasounds my babies always meaure big. My first baby they were an entire pound off with her right guess. My second baby was supposed to be a VBAC and they again were a pound and a half off with her. I always meaure (by fundal height) a consistent 3-4 weeks ahead, it's just the way I carry them. My babies were 7lbs and 8lbs so not actually that big at all. 
    I had a friend whose both babies were well over 10 pounds and she is just an average built lady and didn't have any issues. 
    Generally speaking your body will only grow as big a baby as your able to birth. Of course there is some exceptions to the rule like GD that make babies too big if not controlled but a general rule for healthy women and babies is just beside the baby could be big doesn't mean they actually are. Sure doctors can be right and the baby could be too big, but there is also plenty of cases where they are wrong and do unnecessary inductions which are more likely to lead to c sections, cause babies and moms aren't ready. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have had 3 vaginal deliveries and had no issues. I tore bad the first time but recovered then tore again with the second but miraculously I didn't tear at all with the 3rd child. Mine were 6lb 7oz 8lbs 10oz and 8lbs 6oz. I can only hope for a 7 to 8 pond baby but who really knows. My Dr measured me for the first time last app and said I was measuring at 26 also when I was 24 supposedly.  But we shall see if anything comes of it also. Would be the first time for me hearing that I am measuring a bit off. I too was afraid of a big baby. But it all went well I'd say. 
  • I didn't read through all the replies, but wanted to share my thoughts. The size of the baby has very little to actually do with your ability to deliver vaginally...it is more your pelvis' "willingness" to expand and open. Whether it is a 5 pound baby or a 10 pound baby...if you do not dilate or your pelvis does not open up, there is little else that can be done. I am 5' and barely 100lbs pre-pregnancy but delivered my son at 6lbs130z vaginally, and truly believe my body would have done it regardless of his size. My sister, who is much more curvy than I am (and taller), had c-sections with both of her children because neither of them could descend into the birth canal, her body just couldn't do it. They were both around 8lbs. I also know that ultrasounds can be way off in measurements. I would go with the flow and see just what your body can do on its own, you might just be amazed!
    BabyGaga