Breastfeeding

Asthma and allergies nursing benefits?

I nursed dd1 until she was 3.5 years old. I was so proud to have given her the best start in life. Her health was the proof I felt of a job well done. She had no major illness and had never had antibiotics. She had one cold, I'm not kidding. Almost one year to the month she suddenly has been diagnosed with asthma and is allergic to several indoor and outdoor allergens it's a list!. And is on several different meds for it! It's breaking my heart to have to medicate her so much. What the hell happend? Did nursing just mask all the symptoms she had all along? Did the well of antibodies from me just dry up? Has anyone else experienced something like this. I'm nursing ds2 right now and I do wish I could pump for her but I never have been able to produce much more than an ounce or less above nursing on demand with either kid.

Re: Asthma and allergies nursing benefits?

• I feel your pain. I breastfed DD1 for 16 months, and DD2 for 26 months. They both have multiple food allergies, environmental allergies, and asthma. There is a hereditary component to allergies and asthma, so I blame it on that. :) Our environment also plays a role in our tendency to develop allergies and asthma. 

I have had moments of wondering if I did something/didn't do something that caused these issues. But since there's so much that is still unknown about these issues, and so many varied opinions about how to try and avoid them, I remind myself that I did what I had control over. I fed them the best way I could, and I really think the rest was out of our hands. 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog