January 2017 Moms

Natural Birthing Methods

2»

Re: Natural Birthing Methods

• I started the Ina May book last week and am liking it so far. I skipped over a bunch of the birth stories but may go back to them eventually. Otherwise it's more straightforward than I expected. 

@shlecka that's crazy! Is it out of print or something??

@hayhay87 I knew MW care was more the norm in the UK but I didn't realize so few people opt for epidurals! I think part of the difference with going to a birthing center with MWs is they know how to support a natural birth, eg, you can move around, labor in a tub, they don't try to rush the process, etc.

Honestly I think it would be infinitely harder to have an unmedicated labor with an OB in a traditional hospital setting. I know a few people who have given birth recently with OBs and went in saying they'd rather not have an epidural, but didn't realize how difficult it would be to do this. Between being given pitocin, being confined to the bed and not allowed to eat, and the doctors generally promoting the epidural, they all ended up opting for pain relief... So I do think some of it is to do with your care providers and the general setup/protocol where you are. 
  • Ew @cjs260 I guess that's shitty. However, I guess you can say the same about a midwife who has never given birth...
  • Loading the player...
  • @ThePax89 for sure! I mean, it's obviously helpful, otherwise it wouldn't have made it this long. I think my inner monologue is just like "How the heck does he *know* the six needs of the laboring women?" But I'm definitely checking into it regardless! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• @KRB22 Maybe?? I may have to check the library for that one.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • hayhay87 said:
    @zdmd_14 thanks for the tips! Definitely going to pick up that book and the ina may one. I'm signed up for a childbirth/ parenting class that everyone recommends here but I'm not sure I can afford a hypno birth course on top of it so I'll def get started with books and podcasts! 
    Hypnobabies is definitely expensive. If you find your self feeling pretty nervous about the birth you could find one or two tracks on iTunes and download those for cheap.  I'd start searching with "positive affirmations" maybe specific to the 3rd tri or to birth.  That type of thing what what was the most helpful for me--just being in a positive mind set about it 
    DD1 (2008) DD2 (2010), #3 (DH's first bio kid) on the way in January 2017!
    Almost always mobile bumping--forgive my typos. :)
  • @cjs260 I've always heard that the Bradley method book written by Susan McCracken (er.... I think that's the right name) is way better than the one written by Bradley himself.   Give that one a try instead 
    DD1 (2008) DD2 (2010), #3 (DH's first bio kid) on the way in January 2017!
    Almost always mobile bumping--forgive my typos. :)
  • Carly79Carly79 member
    edited September 2016

I wonder if Mainstream Mama is out of print. Maybe check out some local used book stores or the library? I think I paid $8 for it so something's up.

ETA: I just looked, I had been following a facebook page the author had going and can't find it so now I'm wondering what happened. Sorry to have recommended a book that is not easy to find.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Carly79 if you have a written birth story, I would love to read it. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Great points made by everyone above in response to @cjs260's question. I haven't participated in this thread yet because I haven't really started to consider this until recently. 

TW - I feel very similar to @thepax89 in that my losses were traumatizing physically and emotionally. I sort of feel like there's not much I can't get through at this point. Also, I have a huge fear of general anesethsia and never had it until I needed an emergency surgery related to my first pregnancy after hemmoraging. I've sort of conquered that fear now because I needed another surgery about 6 months later to remove my uterine septum, but I still hate the idea of medical intervention and being out of control. And while an epidural isn't the same as general anesethsia, I don't like the idea of it. So to me, the idea of an epidural makes me anxious. 

Also, hopefully this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I just feel like I can do it??? Perhaps this is super naive and I'll be laughing at myself in January, but I just don't see why it's something I can't get through without drugs. 

Truthfully, I need to read up more about this from a lot of angles, but that is my gut reaction and I really love reading all your perspectives
  • @ceclarlinetlo when I was in labor with my first, I kept calling it butt labor. And nobody understood it. I feel contractions in my ass :) 
  • @LoneStar21416 it's funny because it's one of those things where practicing and reading about it may ease the pain, but even with an enormous amount of pain, you are still going to give birth. You can choose to have a natural birth which is pain free (as Hypnobirthing claims) or you can have a natural birth where you scream the whole time. Your opinion is spot on, nothing is going to force you to have pain management. 
  • I have loved everything about this thread. I considered going med free with my first, but never did the proper research or was committed enough. When the time came, I got an epidural, and my labor went really well. I have no regrets about getting one. 

This is is my second and potentially last pregnancy because I think we might be complete as a family of 4. Since it might be my last, I'm in a similar position where I want to feel and experience everything that pregnancy and labor have to offer, good and bad! I feel much stronger in this pregnancy as a woman and mom. The first time around I was super nervous about other people's feelings, my husbands, parents, in-laws. This time I've already put my foot down about people in the room with us and how we will wait to have visitors, and a few other things. 

I really feel like with the help of my husband and doing the proper research and classes I can do it! I will be reading some of the books you ladies have suggested and hope to go med free with this one! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't have 1 specific reason for wanting to go med free, and will echo a lot of what's already been said. 

In the back of my mind I have always planned to have unmedicated births. I think a lot of this stems from the fact that I'm the oldest of 6 kids and my mom had all of us at home with a midwife. I wasn't present at any of my siblings' births, but I do have vivid memories of the days most of them were born, including how my mom was before and after the births. So the understanding that birth is a natural process, and that it is possible to give birth without a bunch of interventions, is deeply embedded in my consciousness. 

I also tend to avoid medications as much as possible, and to take a more natural/holistic approach to my health. And honestly, the idea of an epidural scares me for lots of reasons - I have no idea how I'll react, the potential side effects if it fails or there are issues with getting it in, the idea of my legs being numb, etc. 

Now that I know more and have done some research, I'm further motivated by a desire to avoid that "cascade of interventions." I also want to be able to fully experience labor and birth, and not have to be stuck on my back in bed. 

And there is a part of me that figures if my mom could do it, I can do it, so why wouldn't I. This isn't really about proving something, but rather about not trying to reinvent the wheel, if that makes sense. 

@ThePax89 @LoneStar21416 I'm so sorry for your losses, but also wanted to say your stories are so inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

• colleenkevincolleenkevin member
    edited September 2016
    My thoughts are all very similar to @Carly79.  Not wanting to be confined to a bed where I can't change positions and work with my contractions, fear of physical side effects for me, fear of physical side effects for baby, aversion to interventions in the normal birth process.  I don't want an epidural to stall my labor and lead me to needing more interventions.  I want to avoid pitocin in any way I can because it interrupts the natural production of oxytocin, but it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier.  So, pitocin does the task of oxytocin in triggering contractions, but it limits or altogether eliminates the oxytocin high you get from labor and delivery.  I want my natural high and oxytocin-fueled post-delivery love fest!

The most important one for me, though is fear of physical side effects for the baby.  I worry that the medication will interfere with breastfeeding or negatively impact his health.  My daughter struggled to nurse and didn't gain well for weeks and it tore me apart.  I was in a constant state of anxiety and panic over her wellbeing and worrying I wasn't doing enough for her.  I had a med-free birth when I delivered her, which I am even more thankful for in retrospect because I would have used selecting the epidural against myself if I had had one...I have learned that eliminating opportunities for me to place blame on myself is really important for my mental wellbeing.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ladysaceb here is the thread I meantioned in your other post. Hope it helps!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Well I did a birthing class that discussed a variety of birthinh techniques. I was planning to do natural birth but knew it could be a long labor so prepared myself to make decisions at the time. I hung in for 24 hours of labor and then did an epidural. I am glad I did and by morning it was already wearing off and I had to start pushing so I could feel a lot anyways. I felt like slow yoga breathing helped a lot...and during pushing, taking the oxygen they were giving me in the mask. Oh and I did have a doula which was nice and encouraging