March 2017 Moms

Getting hair colored

what are everyone's thoughts on coloring your hair during first tri? I have an appointment Wednesday that I do not want to cancel. It's only highlights if that makes a difference 

Re: Getting hair colored

• mel741mel741 member
    I personally would wait to the second trimester. But if your going to keep the appointment highlights are better than coloring your whole head.
  • Scarlett830Scarlett830 member
    edited June 2016
    I was told by my former OB that highlights were alright because it didn't touch the scalp. What to Expect says that there's "no hard evidence" that the hair dye chemicals are actually harmful, but I err on the side of caution and waited until second tri with my last pregnancy. Better safe than sorry.

ETA better words
  • Loading the player...
  • @Gobruins0430 (lurking from Sept 2016)   I had highlights at 11 weeks, I think?  My OB said they're fine and there's no worries as they don't touch the scalp so don't come in contact with your skin.  (Even if they did she said you'd be fine).   That being said, if you're at all worried and it will make you worry after, just put it out a few weeks.  No need to add extra stress at this time.   Congrats on your pregnancy! :)
  • Eh I wouldn't worry 
  • Yeah. I wouldn't worry. I've also been told highlights are better than full coloring. I need to get mine touched up too girl!