January 2017 Moms
Options

At Home Dopplers

Re: At Home Dopplers

• Options
    @cjs260 which one do you have? If it's the sonoline, I like to put it on the 2nd setting. The 2nd setting shows current heart rate. The 3rd shows an average over the last 8 seconds (because so many little squirms love sitting still for 8 seconds). 
  • Options
    Even though I'm a STM I can't decipher the different types of noises in there.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    cjs260cjs260 member
    @ThePax89 I always keep my set on 1. It finally picked up a steady beat at around 159 last night for like 20 seconds. But I'll definitely try on different settings! 

@Renee1105 Here's a website with different Doppler sounds that helped me. 
    https://www.fetaldopplerfacts.org/facts/dopplers/fetal-heartbeat-doppler-sounds.php

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Options
    xinranxinran member
    @cjs260 thank you souch for sharing that link
  • Options
    I just gave in and ordered one from babydoppler.com
  • Options
    I'm debating getting one, but last baby not sure it's worth it to spend the money lol. And would I use it later when I can feel baby? I dunno!
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Options
    @mommywesley You could always resell it on ebay when you're done with it! There's a pretty big demand for it on there. I hear you can also rent the doppler by the month if you don't want to pay full price but I think the rental price isn't much cheaper than just purchasing it ($20/mo. vs $35)
  • Options
    sagoonsagoon member
    I rented one.  It's a medical grade one so it's a little easier to find the HB.  It ends up being about the same price as buying a cheap one but then I can just return it when I no longer need it.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @mommywesley. IMO, $36 is nothing for peace of mind. Also, my first baby was a terrible kicker. I really wish I had it for my first. 
  • Options
    @ThePax89 it isbtrue, $36 isn't a lot, and would be great to have for peace of mind. I may talk myself into it lol
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Options
    Finally used the doppler that a friend let me borrow and it was awesome! It took quite a while to find it but once I did it was exciting. My parents were over and it was nice for them to be able to hear it too since they don't come to my appointments. I might actually be starting to feel like I'm pregnant! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Did anyone else's doctor act like they were insane upon mentioning they use a home doppler? Ours acted like it should have been nearly impossible to use at almost 15 weeks and was shocked that we could hear the heartbeat. When I told her we'd been using it since 10 weeks, I swear she thought we were making things up.
  • Options
    @canavara I mentioned getting one to my OB during my last pregnancy and she shut me down saying it would be too difficult for me to use and understand what I'm hearing and would cause worry. I listened. This time I decided I want one and got it and found baby at 11 weeks! I'm thinking I probably won't mention I have one to her because she made her opinion clear during my last pregnancy 
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    Bahaha @canavara. I haven't mentioned it yet to the midwife. Although, I did tell the dr that would buy one at my 8 week visit, and she thought that was nuts, so she let me come in for an ultrasound at 10 weeks. 
  • Options
    Yeeeesh. I wonder if it's one of those things where they only hear of people coming in crying because they couldn't find the heart beat so they just assume it's impossible for most women. 
  • Options
    Wow, that's so funny! Just like when they roll their eyes when we say we felt baby at 13weeks etc...
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Options
    BrialaBriala member
    Got mine in today, it took me about 2 seconds to rip it open and try it out. I couldn't find the heartbeat the first time but I tried again later on and found it then.  :) It wasn't quite registering on the counter because it was really quiet but I timed it and got 168.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Me: 26 DH: 29 Married 8/4/2012
    BFP #1 8/20/2013 | EDD 5/4/2014 | MMC 10/2/2013 9w3d | D&C 10/8/2013
    BFP #2 2/8/2014 (kinda) EDD 10/29/2014
     | DS Born 10/8/2014 
    TTCAL 11/2015 BFP #3 5/12/16 | EDD Jan 2017
  • Options
    How do I tell if it's mine or the baby's? I got mine and tried it.
  • Options
    wispymel said:
    How do I tell if it's mine or the baby's? I got mine and tried it.
    There are some really great you tube videos that will show you all the different sounds you can hear! Baby's heartbeat sounds like a chug chug chug sound
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    cjs260cjs260 member
    @wispymel Baby sounds like a helicopter or horse galloping, mom sounds like swishing, and the placenta sounds like wind blowing through the trees. 

• Options
    @wispymel put your finger on your carotid artery (on your neck) while you hear the noise. If it is your heartbeat, it will align. 
  • Options
    Just curious if you ladies are finding your LO in different spots. I have always(for the last several weeks) found this one on the bottom right but last night I listened there and got nothing. I checked the other side and sure enough little on the left side. Tonight little one was hanging out dead center.

I have eave also really enjoyed seeing the progression of finding the heartbeat higher up on my belly. Makes me feel like my bump isn't completely blump anymore haha 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    Mine likes to move around like crazy from one area to another. I had the heartbeat on doppler this evening and it was pounding very loudly and then suddenly it just was gone. I freaked out thinking something had happened and then moved the probe like 3 inches down and to the right side and it was suddenly over there. Go figure. I know every time they show us LOs on ultrasounds they're just kind of chilling out in one spot, maybe dancing around in place, but I'm half convinced they swim laps in there when no one's watching.
  • Options
    Has anyone had a more difficult time finding the heartbeat lately? My baby seems to be moving a ton, but it's nuts and gives me a heart attack every time I check. 
  • Options
    cjs260cjs260 member
    It depends on what time of day. At night, my LO moves constantly when I have the Doppler on them. Like baby will swim close, then roll over, the swim to the other side. Once I just left the probe in the same spot, and listened to baby swim by twice. Earlier in the day, baby stays put better. A couple of nights ago, I could see my left side visibly bigger than my right, so for fun I plopped the Doppler down right where it was protruding.  And what do you know, heartbeat was immediate. 

• Options
    @ThePax89 yes! Sometimes the wiggles make him escape and I get nervous. Usually when this happens though I can hear some blips that I assume are kicks. I am not positive that's what they but it at least eases my mind to think they are? But the other day I could not pick up a heart beat. I waited drank a bunch of water and tried again and was fairly easily able to find it. 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    @ThePax89 definitely! They're wiggling away from the wand, I'll get a couple of beats and it's gone, they're both avoiding the wand and damnit hold still so I can make sure you're alive in there! 
  • Options
    Definitely at night. These kids are on crack at night. I've made the mistake of letting my 20 month old "help" me find the babies hb. I get super stressed and mad at her. Awesome parenting. 
  • Options
    scgirl6113  that's exactly what happened to me! The baby was always down on my right side but as of last week the baby is now dead center and was there at my OB appointment yesterday too. Honestly I'd like the baby to move back to a side because I swear it's sitting right on my bladder! O man
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I finally ordered mine yesterday, after going to the doctor and hearing a strong HB right away, I was ready to make the plunge. Can't wait to get it and let my son hear it! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Options
    when I told my doctor I had a Doppler he was shocked, I said "you can get anything online these days" he just said "yes I guess you are right" he didn't say anything negative about it.  I kept it quiet during my last pregnancy because I was worried he wouldn't approve but I guess he doesn't care.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I caved in & bought the deal off groupon! I was able to hear the heartbeat right away today! About one inch or so down from my belly button and on the left side!!!! After a few seconds it stopped and I was able to pick it up more towards the right, but then I couldn't hear it again. Happy to know baby is moving around! I am in AWE!!!!! 
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• Options
    I have the womb music which I like. Has a double headset, no HR monitoring tool. Got it on Amazon for not too much. Just found baby for sure last week (14 weeks 5 days) after some earlier attempts, before I could hear clearly but kept hearing my own HB. Baby was lower towards pelvis, about an inch and a half below belly button towards my left and the sound was clearly different and much faster than my own. Like a horse galloping. 

QUESTION THOUGH: Anyone else feel tender after using? I will admit, I used it for a while because I was struggling to get a good recording which I wanted on my phone. However, I wasn't pushing hard but felt tender in the area I found baby for the next day. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @AriB08 were you using enough gel?
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    We bought one, but I had no idea where to look. We found me, but that's it. Had an appointment today and the dr found the HB in about 10 seconds. I think we were too low. I was erring on the side of caution and didn't want to go too high, oops.
  • Options
    @scgirl6113 I've been using vitamin E oil. It says olive oil but I thought 2 birds with one stone since it's supposed to help prevent stretch marks? I will say, it does absorb pretty fast. The tenderness felt a little deeper than just skin, but maybe it was that. I'll get some KY for next time. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @AriB08 Aloe works well!
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend trying gel and trying not to push hard.  I have not heard of using oil before (but that certainly doesn't mean you can't!) if you feel sore again, I would bring it up to your OB. Because maybe they could at least offer advice on the best way to use it. 
    Due 1/21/17
  • Options
    canavaracanavara member
    edited August 2016
    I used the WombMusic for a week or so and remember it made me feel a little uncomfortable after using it--I was using it with ultrasound gel. Just the shape of it encourages you to press down harder than you should need to... switching to the Sonoline B, I no longer had that problem since it's just a tiny probe.

About to break my WM out again to see if it happens still now that's it been about 8 weeks...

ETA: Yeah still a thing. I still think the WM is crappy in comparison to the Sonoline. It's way way weaker so you have to press down to actually hear anything with it. Also omg if your baby kicks the doppler, prepare to go deaf from the feedback through the earbuds :| If I hadn't bought the Sonoline, I'm sure I'd be like, "Yeah the WM is fine" but I had no idea how weak it really was until I made that switch.