October 2015 Moms
Options

Wanting to move

hello!  So me and my husband are trying to move away from where we live and where all our family lives the reason we are deciding this is because my husbands mom get into our marriage and parenting too much and we really don't like that and always have problems with her , she recently texted me telling me she's planning a birthday for my daughther and that everyone knows expect me ? Like what is that!! I'm the one throwing MY DAUGHTER her birthday party not her . And this caused a really big argument between my husband and I so he finally decided it's time to move away and see if thing get better! I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice for me ? And if anyone lives In a different town/city/state then their families 

Re: Wanting to move

• Options
    I don't have the same situation but my ex was in the military so we lived away for a while. Being about 6 hours was perfect, were from Hershey (ish) PA and loved to Yorktown VA. Close enough to visit or have family visit us but far enough to have our own life. When we moved To California it was more difficult because visiting was so expensive. But it did allow me to be a mom completely on my own. If you do move away find an area you both with be happy with and fits all your needs. It's possible even though it's hard
  • Options
    riosvriosv member
    Thank you! We live in California in a small town and he want to move to a bigger city probably like 2-3 hours away but I have a feeling that would make a big difference in our life's .. I just feel like being so close to our family in a way brings us problems because they get in everything 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ktlanyktlany member
    I'm the opposite, I'm currently (as in we're in the car right now) moving across the country to be closer to our family. We were living in LA but with no family nearby we don't have any help with LO and she won't be close to her cousins or other family. So I suppose it depends on those factors for us. The way I see it, there's always going to be family drama but the benefits of being near people who love us outweigh that. Good luck either way!
  • Options
    riosvriosv member
    I totally want to move and start my family but how you said being close to family is nice but when they constantly get in between my Marriage is so stressful and we don't want to move far far away just like a couple hours away .. So we can still visit and everything and when we actually do visit we want no drama just happiness  
  • Options
    Without saying too much, I will express that I understand how you feel. Overbearing in laws can be so tough. I also think it is more difficult to get space from family nowadays, with social media and cell phones. If anyone wants to get in your business they can. I hope moving works well for you.

I hope you have discussed boundaries with your husband and with your MIL. I used to be someone who let everyone in my life, and I never set any boundaries. It got out of control, and I almost never had time for myself. Plus, other people were controlling aspects of my life that they shouldn't have been. My husband and I sat down, and we discussed boundaries. What is off limits, what is strictly between us, and how involved families were allowed to be in our marriage. It has saved my happiness!