January 2016 Moms

Baby Signing

Has anyone else started to teach their LO any basic signs? If so, has your LO tried to use any yet?

Moms of older kids that used signing, what was your experience?

We start our signing class in a few days but I've been using the sign for "milk" since Jamie was 14 weeks (he's 21 weeks now) and he's started to use the sign himself when he sees his bottle! My problem is that I'm not very good at looking to see if he's requesting it before he sees it. I also don't think he's consistent with it yet, but I read babies are more able to use signing to express theirs wants/needs when they're 6+ months. I'm willing to give it time, and I'm excited to see progress. 

Re: Baby Signing

• Oh I'm interested to see what people say. I want to do this but thought I was too late maybe to start. 
  • Not too late to start!! I used signs as a nanny and I they were most used/useful around 9-10 months when baby is able to quickly grasp the concept and is wanting to start communicating but not yet ready to talk. I have been really casually using the basic signs with my babe for a while but not consistently enough to see anything. I know I need to remember to be more consistent so that he can start using them when he is ready! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been signing since week 1.  I have been using about 20 signs.  I think she recognizes (and may try to do milk) and recognizes and may understand (but does not try to replicate) the sign for no.  I also read that they don't really grasp until after 6 mos (short term memory isn't so good before then).  Excited to see where this leads us!
  • Where are y'all learning the signs or how to teach them? I would be interested in starting this as well! 
  • nackienackie member
    They start doing them at our daycare around 6 months old.  I should probably pull out that paperwork and start learning them
  • @Ljohn43 my local mom and baby group runs classes, but there are lots of resources online for baby signing, and I've seen lots of books including baby friendly board books that have the basic signs :-) 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    I have a question that might be a bit stupid: does baby sign language use the same signs as American sign language?

Our entire sign language repertoire is The More We Get Together song, but I would consider expanding on that skill if the signs are the same.
  • Yes it is the same as ASL @l4rk
  • We sign a little. I've been teaching DH and he thinks it's stupid. We do more, milk, no, all done, ball, and car so far. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Thanks everyone! I bought that book @ChrissyD1203
  • l4rkl4rk member
    Yes it is the same as ASL @l4rk
    Thank you!