February 2017 Moms
Options

tanning while prego

2»

Re: tanning while prego

• Options
    I'm a tanner 1-2 times a week when not pregnant because of acne and winter depression. To clear up some confusion. There are beds out there with better bulbs now that help reduce the risk of cancer and you also lessen the risk if you don't let yourself burn. 

The HCG in your system while pregnant allows you to burn easier so really even women laying by a pool aren't helping their babies. You are increasing your risk of a fever if you get sunburned and that is not good for the baby.

I error on the side of caution for my baby's sake and only use products my doctor has researched because to me the baby's development is way more important than me feeling good about my legs.
    Perhaps the better bulbs help in the reduction of cancer but not using a tanning bed is even better.

How do these "better bulbs" reduce the risk of cancer?  Not trying to be a butthole, but I'm honestly curious.  I mean, if it's tanning and/or burning your skin it's doing exactly what's causing that risk in the first place.  Is it just less intense?  If so, does that just make people stay in it longer to get more tan which negates the whole purpose?

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm a tanner 1-2 times a week when not pregnant because of acne and winter depression. To clear up some confusion. There are beds out there with better bulbs now that help reduce the risk of cancer and you also lessen the risk if you don't let yourself burn. 

The HCG in your system while pregnant allows you to burn easier so really even women laying by a pool aren't helping their babies. You are increasing your risk of a fever if you get sunburned and that is not good for the baby.

I error on the side of caution for my baby's sake and only use products my doctor has researched because to me the baby's development is way more important than me feeling good about my legs.
    Perhaps the better bulbs help in the reduction of cancer but not using a tanning bed is even better.

Yeah and that could be said with everything bad for you. My point is technology is changing to make it less of a risk. nlwz123 said:

How do these "better bulbs" reduce the risk of cancer?  Not trying to be a butthole, but I'm honestly curious.  I mean, if it's tanning and/or burning your skin it's doing exactly what's causing that risk in the first place.  Is it just less intense?  If so, does that just make people stay in it longer to get more tan which negates the whole purpose?
    No, the beds I've used have a max of 10 mins and the old beds still go around 20 mins. It's a different type of bulb that is used, I know I'll get the acronyms mixed around if I even try right now but it was the reason I went back to tanning instead of taking anti depressants.  
    Nothing in excess is truly good for you, but if done in moderation you are limiting your risk. Unlike, those who do things in excess.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yeah and that could be said with everything bad for you. My point is technology is changing to make it less of a risk. nlwz123 said:

No, the beds I've used have a max of 10 mins and the old beds still go around 20 mins. It's a different type of bulb that is used, I know I'll get the acronyms mixed around if I even try right now but it was the reason I went back to tanning instead of taking anti depressants.  
    Nothing in excess is truly good for you, but if done in moderation you are limiting your risk. Unlike, those who do things in excess.
    The bolded is true.  However, some of those things that are bad for you are 100% completely avoidable.  Tanning beds is one of them.

My point is that you can eliminate the risk of getting skin cancer from a tanning bed by.....avoiding a tanning bed.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    Ouch! Screw the tanning bed, I just got burned by @gingersnap I will try to proofread before posting next time, or maybe you can for me? 
  • Options
    Ouch! Screw the tanning bed, I just got burned by @gingersnap I will try to proofread before posting next time, or maybe you can for me? 
    So you realized you had no good argument so diverted the topic?

Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I did not know this, and I was looking forward to a little color at the beach. I'll take extra precautions to keep an eye out.
      ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me: 35  DH: 38  |  Married: 6/2013  |  Pregnancy #1, APurp born 10/2014
    Pregnancy #2, BFP 6/4/2016, MMC at 9W, D&E: 7/21/16 | Pregnancy #3, BFP 11/22/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Cravings Ticker 
  • Options

• Options
    This is me every summer. Even if I wanted to I don't tan, I turn red for a few days and then go back to pale with a few more freckles. I've been trying to take better care of my skin the last couple of years b/c I'm pretty sure my freckles are getting freckles... 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    MamaCoffinMamaCoffin member
    edited June 2016
    What's up your butt today?

Or do you get like this every time someone disagrees with you about something you've already made your mind up about but you still need validation?

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • Options
    What's up your butt today?

Or do you get like this every time someone disagrees with you about something you've already made your mind up about but you still need validation?
    Nothing up my butt, a shit ton of progesterone up my va-jay though. it was a sarcastic response to my much needed grammar lessons that was pointed out to me earlier.geez Louise ladies I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I have taken all your opinions to heart and I'm NOT tanning! I'm going to embrace the pale!  As for the gifs, that was a joke, I love gifs, who doesn't like gifs?!  I thought my response was funny... Tanning, burning... Get it?!?! Haha I'm sorry I laugh at my own jokes.  Anyways I'm sorry, please be nice to me! Also please excuse any grammar errors.... 
  • Options
    BTW this is my first gif and I'm pretty proud that I figured it out! This is for girls.... 
  • Options
    This is sort of off topic/on topic; but, I'm super Irish pale, where there is no "tan" option. I have to use sunscreen not to burst into flames on exposure with the sun's rays for even 5 minutes.

DH's family is all up into being fake tanned, and I stick out like a sore thumb. One of the cousins asked me one day if I'd like her to spray tan me, and I straight up laughed in her face, because it's basically a running joke with them that I practically glow in the dark. She was not joking. Cue awkward silence, and me exiting the scene by saying, "Hey is that cake?" and running away.

I just embrace the pale. And the cake. We'll all have less wrinkles when we're old.

Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @MonaLisaRalphio I friggin loved newsroom.
  • Options
    I think I like you.
    Although your sarcastic don't doesn't come across quite perfectly just yet, there's hope for you to become a good Bumpie @Howardbae2015  
    Agreed
  • Options

This is very good to know! I am in the sun all summer. With sunblock, but still with the boat and watching the kids by the pool (and loving the sun) I get a lot of it! This explains why I'm so dark from just a few days outside. Time to up my SPF!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Fwiw I lost a friend that I went to high school with, who was a tanning enthusiast died last year from skin cancer at the age of 23.