June 2016 Moms
Options

Diaper rash

Ugh I've been fighting this for like a week.  I have a zinc cream but it's not making a difference.  I'm gonna try and use breastmilk and do more naked time but does anyone have any other tips.  I'm also trying to stay all natural/ organic products plus we wanna use cloth diaper so it limits my options.

Re: Diaper rash

• Options
    At my baby shower one of the moms gave me pinxav and said when all other diaper rash creams failed it worked.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Lurker: My DD had rashes that creams did nothing for. We ended up finding that baking soda baths worked wonders. Just put a 1/2 cup of baking soda in the baby bath, and make sure baby's bum stays soaking in it for 15min (minimum). Don't use any shampoos/body soap. Pat dry, and diaper as usual. If it was really bad, we would do it in the morning and at night. But it cleared it up much faster than any diaper creams would. 
    We only wiped her butt down with warm wash clothes and gave her naked time. I used baby powder also. Took four days but did eventually clear up! 
  • Options
    Ds had really bad diaper rash and we tried 3 zinc creams and they only made it worse. Finally tried Aquaphor baby and it was a miracle! Highly recommend
  • Options
    Burts bees diaper cream was the only thing that actually made the rash go away for DD
  • Options
    Try Resinol. You can only get it from a pharmacy but you don't need a prescription. It's the best, and it's alcohol free so it won't burn sensitive baby skin. It's the only thing that ever works on my kids. 

Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Once the rash is under control, Growvia makes a great stick ointment that is great to prevent rash going forward and is totally cloth-diaper safe. It's called the Magic Stick. Added bonus--the stick application is awesome, quick and not messy. It's one of the few effective and cloth-friendly solutions I know of and I swore by it with DS1.
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did more nakey time, use a clean washcloth to pat dry after every diaper change, and used lanolin for a bit when we first noticed the rash and had nothing else in the house.  It actually worked really well.
  • Options
    Have you had baby checked out? My first had a gnarly rash we just couldn't get rid of. Turned out to be Thrush, and my breast milk only worsened it, because I was apparently the carrier. We ended up having to use Ketoconazole. 
    Me: 32, DH: 35
    Married to DH: 11-13-10
    DS #1: EDD: 9/25/12, Born 10-9-12
    DS #2: EDD: 6-19-16, Born 6-14-16
  • Options
    Ok, FTM here. Can diaper rash make patches of skin look like an abrasion? This morning DD had red areas on her bum that look like the skin got rubbed off. Wondering if it's diaper r rash or a reaction to wipes or her butt ointment. We lightly use babyganics ointment on her bum a couple times a day and used it a bit more yesterday. We also started using Huggies wipes this week (were gifted a Costco size box) and had been using pampers sensitive. Feeling awful for her today. It looks horrible. We have desitin and applied that this morning. Planning to do some air dry time. 
  • Options
    arteduc8 said:
    Ok, FTM here. Can diaper rash make patches of skin look like an abrasion? This morning DD had red areas on her bum that look like the skin got rubbed off. Wondering if it's diaper r rash or a reaction to wipes or her butt ointment. We lightly use babyganics ointment on her bum a couple times a day and used it a bit more yesterday. We also started using Huggies wipes this week (were gifted a Costco size box) and had been using pampers sensitive. Feeling awful for her today. It looks horrible. We have desitin and applied that this morning. Planning to do some air dry time. 

DS's looked like that too.  I did notice that the baby wipes irritate it while is rashy.  I use cotton wipes and water when he has a rash and then pat the area dry.  The skin has to be 100% dry before you put the ointment on and it should be put on at every diaper change until the rash goes away.  I also had babyganics but switched to Balmex when it wasn't working fast enough.  I would also, if DS had the patience, would let the area dry, put a thin layer of coconut oil and let that soak in completely then add the ointment.  The oil helps keeps to skin from getting too raw.  Doing this his rash cleared in 3 days and his was really bad, like sometimes would bleed bad.
  • Options
    arteduc8 said:

DS's looked like that too.  I did notice that the baby wipes irritate it while is rashy.  I use cotton wipes and water when he has a rash and then pat the area dry.  The skin has to be 100% dry before you put the ointment on and it should be put on at every diaper change until the rash goes away.  I also had babyganics but switched to Balmex when it wasn't working fast enough.  I would also, if DS had the patience, would let the area dry, put a thin layer of coconut oil and let that soak in completely then add the ointment.  The oil helps keeps to skin from getting too raw.  Doing this his rash cleared in 3 days and his was really bad, like sometimes would bleed bad.
    Glad to know that it sounds like a diaper rash. Thanks for the tips! Hoping we can get hers to clear as quickly as your DS's did. 
  • Options
    Another vote for Aquafor. I use a bit on most diaper changes to be proactive.
  • Options
    I felt awful when mine got her first diaper rash. It looked like a burn or abrasion! We used lanolin for a bit and then got boudereaux butt paste with a coupon from Target. We use it every diaper change, use a cloth to pat her dry, don't wipe with the wipes but pat, and air her out as much as possible.