September 2015 Moms

Getting Little Ones to Eat Meat. (Changed Post)

BabyBugutskyBabyBugutsky member
edited June 2016 in September 2015 Moms
I'm having a tough time getting my little guy to eat anything with meat in it. He makes the funniest grossed out face after one bite then won't eat anymore. I miss it with sweet potatoes and other veggies or fruits and still a no go. 

Any ideas??

Re: Getting Little Ones to Eat Meat. (Changed Post)

• tvistetviste member
    edited June 2016
    Have you tried mixing it with avocado? When I first introduced chicken, mixing it with avocado is the only way my daughter would eat it. I think the creaminess of the avocado hides the texture of the meat. 
  • What meat? We have done grass fed ground beef and he LOVES that with sweet potatoes and peppers. And we have also done finely shredded chicken and i made him a turkey breast and shredded that as well. He likes to eat the chicken and turkey alone and just shoves it right in his mouth. He did seem kind of weird about the textures the first time but after that he really liked it all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @tviste I haven't! I will definitely try it with avocado. Thank you!

@dmbfan46835 we've fed him ground turkey, chicken and beef. I did beef and broth and he hated it. Beef and sweet potatoes hated it. Chicken and sweet potatoes not a fan but eats most of it. Turkey and sweet potatoes he loves but only once in a while. I will try doing it shredded. Maybe there is just too much when I mix it with veggies and such. Thank you!
  • xJKxORxJKxOR member
    edited June 2016
    You could also try offering a long strip of roast or chicken so LO can hold onto it and attempt to gum/chew at it. Our son just gnaws away at it. They get the flavour of the meat and can suck the juice out. It might help ease the transition to puréed or shredded meats if they're comfortable with the taste already 
  • My lo refuses to do puréed meats too so I offer her little bits of whatever meat I'm eating and she loves that. I can't blame her, the puréed meats smell gross.
  • My LO refused purées but he will eat it no problem when it just give him pieces 
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited June 2016
    Our LO's first taste of meat was ground beef with marinara sauce spread on lightly toasted bread so he could feed himself. He LOVED it! Maybe try something like that?

(And I agree with other posters - stay away from the pureed jarred meats for sure. I tasted one before giving it to LO and said hell no am I feeding that to him! It was disgusting!)
  • My LO hates puréed meats. He enjoys actually shredded chicken and ground beef as a finger food, though. I can't blame him, I've tried the meat based purées and they are disgusting.
  • Have you tried some spaghetti sauce with ground beef in it? A big hit with both kids and a great first finger food to try.
  • I feed real meats in little pieces, and LO loves all of it. I agree with pps to try table meat if he's been refusing plain cooked ground/pureed meat. 

This week LO has loved: shrimp sautéed in butter and garlic and dived into pea-sized pieces, strips of steak cooked medium, little cubes of pork tenderloin (roasted with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs), long pieces of roast chicken (1/4" wide, 2-3" long), strips of quesadilla with shredded chicken, spaghetti with ground beef and strips of tuna sandwich.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feed real meats in little pieces, and LO loves all of it. I agree with pps to try table meat if he's been refusing plain cooked ground/pureed meat. 

This week LO has loved: shrimp sautéed in butter and garlic and dived into pea-sized pieces, strips of steak cooked medium, little cubes of pork tenderloin (roasted with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and fresh herbs), long pieces of roast chicken (1/4" wide, 2-3" long), strips of quesadilla with shredded chicken, spaghetti with ground beef and strips of tuna sandwich.
    I'm reading your post thinking "Yummy! I'm coming to your house for meals!"
  • We do turkey meatballs in marinara every week. I break it up so its basically back to ground and she goes nuts!
  • We've never tried purées but my LO will eat small pieces of meat from my plate. She's had chicken steak and salmon so far and has enjoyed each one
  • Maybe he's - vegetarian.  Lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • BabyBugutskyBabyBugutsky member
    edited June 2016
    tlc11934 said:
    Maybe he's - vegetarian.  Lol.
    Maybe! Lol. He loves his fruits and veggies!!
  • I couldn't eat a lot of meat during my pregnancy (chicken made me sick just looking at it and beef and pork turned my stomach) wondering if that has anything to do with it? Probably not right?

Yum! Can I come eat at your house? Frozen pizza and peanut butter sandwiches are getting old, but I can't even find the time lately to throw something in the crockpot!
  • jen83mn said:
    I feed real meats in little pieces, and LO loves all of it. I agree with pps to try table meat if he's been refusing plain cooked ground/pureed meat. 

Yum! Can I come eat at your house? Frozen pizza and peanut butter sandwiches are getting old, but I can't even find the time lately to throw something in the crockpot!
    I work from home, so either I prep while making breakfast, or during naps (morning nap I serve snack and cook lunch while the others eat, afternoon nap I make afternoon snack, prep supper and I cook it after the other kids leave (while my 3.5yo plays with LO).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker