1st Trimester
Options

Spin class

Hi ladies,
Just found out I'm pregnant this past week. Anyone else continue spin classes during the first trimester? I usually take 2 classes a week and 1-2 strength classes a week. My last two pregnancies I exercised, but lighter than I do now, so I didn't have to modify anything. In the past year I have stepped up the intensity. So, I'm more fit but I also worry the classes may be too much. I plan on talking to the dr about this, but...it's Saturday. ;) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Spin class

• Options
    I am not taking spin classes through this pregnancy, but I had a spin teacher who taught classes daily right up until a couple of weeks before she delivered. I think spin is probably similar to other forms of exercise - listen to your body, don't overdo it, drink a ton of water, and go a little easier than you usually do. But your doctor will know better than people on the internet. If you're concerned, it won't hurt you to take a couple of days off from spin classes until you can get a good answer from your doc.
  • Options
    Thanks! Leaving for vacation so I'm not spinning next week anyway. Definitely will speak with the doc, just curious as to others' experiences. :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't been spinning while pregnant, but I've exercised the whole time and been perfectly fine, doing strength, rowing, and walking on the treadmill. I'm still walking and going to Aqua classes five times a week and I'm 38.5 weeks. The only thing I can think with spin is that I could see it hurting your crotch in the third tri, mine has been slightly sore lately. My body really did tell me when it was time to slow down- I felt perfectly fine until 7 months, then I needed some help maneuvering around certain equipment, and then at 8.5 months I had to stop what I normally consider exercise and start the Aqua instead. Keep going, you won't regret it.
  • Options
    megstervtmegstervt member
    edited June 2016
    My understanding is that unless there are some other issues, it's fine to continue with exercise you were doing prior, but shouldn't start anything new or increase intensity.  Like a PP said, listen to your body and modify as it tells you to.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    I did spin classes until my belly was too big to sit comfortably on the bike anymore, somewhere in the early to mid-third tri.  If your body is used to doing it, you can continue unless you are high risk or your doctor has reason to believe that it would be unsafe for you.  As the pregnancy progressed, I got slower and had to use lower resistance, but I was still able to participate.