January 2016 Moms

swimming

Tomorrow my husband and I are going to take our daughter to the public pool for a bit to float around in her canopy floaty. My question is should i get plastic pants to put over her swim diaper under her swimsuit she is a breastfed baby so obviously her poops are runny and I read that swim diapers are made to catch solids I do not want a poopy accident to happen. Any advice or tips from experience? We've been starting baby food little bit little she had bananas the other day and I think it's made her poop even more than normal.

Re: swimming

• Good question! We were invited to a 4th of July pool party so I'm wondering how to dress her 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    I hope someone that knows the answer responds. I have a reusable swim diaper and disposable ones and little swim trunks and I am all like what do I even use haha 
  • Loading the player...
  • i have been taking my lo to swimming class for a while now and the school only requires disposable swimming diapers. It has to be a specific brand they sell where I live but nothing else. We haven't had any accidents but I'd say if a baby swimming school says diaper is enough it should be
  • The disposable swim diapers should hold poop, unless the poop is staight liquid. Don't put the swim diaper on until the pool. Pee goes right thru those things!
  • Our pool only requires little swimmers as well. Babies r us where I am doesn't carry the reuseable swim diapers so I got free waterproof diaper covers for like potty training etc so I'm hoping they will help keep anything in if a big poop were to happen. I just like the idea of a little extra protection from leakage will let you know my experience once we go. 
  • I've been curious about this too, and I'm leaning towards the more protection the better. Let us know how it goes :)
  • Did you find swim diapers small enough?  I seem to only find them in size 3.  My little one is just now on the verge of going into size 2 diapers.  Do they make little swim diapers?  We are supposed to go to a pool party next week and I can't find size 1 or 2 swim diapers.
  • I also could not find swim diapers in her size. I bought a reusable swim diaper, but then forgot it at the house. We went swimming in my inlaws pool (so it's obviously private) and our pedi recommended no more than 10 minutes in the water, so I just put her in a regular diaper. It did bulk up a lot, but worked great for the 10 minutes she was in there. I DON'T recommend doing this, but since we were at a private pool it worked for us (just thought I'd share my experience). Have fun swimming, our LO loved it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I use small little swimmers (16-26 lbs) then I also used waterproof pants over the little swimmer diaper. She never went pooped but she did pee and I'm pretty sure I felt it run down my arms when I held her it was quite warm lol but hey that's what chlorine is for. Rather her pee than poop. I've tried to post pics of what I used it won't let me
  • l4rkl4rk member
    We go to the pool all the time with just a reusable swim diaper. However, we also time it so that she isn't likely to go poo (feed before we leave the house, change 20 minutes later) and haven't had an accident yet. However, I have been in the bathtub with her when she pooped. Basically there were little floaty chunks, which the diaper would have caught anyway, and that's it. No brown water or anything... I bet it wouldn't have even been noticeable in a swim diaper. I wouldn't worry! Worst case scenario, you won't be the first "code brown" to shut down the pool... it happens very regularly at our local pool. Happy swimming!
  • We have taken her in a disposable swimming nappy and a sunsafe swimming outfit and it successfuly contained a breastfed poo for the couple of hours that we were in and out of the different pools and play areas. Now that I have a washable plasticy swim nappy I use that on top of the disposable also just in case.

Are we sharing swimming pics?  ;)

• Yes let's share them!! My LO is a chunk so the small size swimming diapers fit. This is us today in the "hot tub" after getting out of the freezing cold pool! Hannah loved floating around the pool last weekend when the water was warm but today she enjoyed splashing in the kiddie pool. 

Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • how do you post pictures it never lets me?
  • ashleyandjodyashleyandjody member
    edited June 2016
    @ShortStuff5 The last icon right above the text box (looks like a piece of paper that has the right corner dogtagged). If you press that and select "choose files", you should be able to select your gallery. You can also upload an image from the Internet with "image URL"

Edited to tag PP

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah it won't let me says file not allowed.