January 2016 Moms
Options

Heart murmur

Hi there guys, looking for a little reassurance and anyone w the same experience - at my LO's four month check up today, our pediatrician heard a heart murmur.  He said he's 99% sure it's nothing to worry about, but we were referred to a pediatric cardiologist to do further tests next week, just to be safe.

I'm trying to stay calm and according to my googling, most pediatric heart murmurs are benign and don't represent any problems at all, but of course the thought of the unlikely scenario is keeping me up tonight.  And having to take my little 4 month old to a pediatric cardiologist just scares me and is definitely triggering my postpartum anxiety.

In good news, she doesn't have any indication of a problem, is doing awesome developmentally and has rebounded from the 10th percentile to 75th (!!!) in height and weight.  Anyway, just trying to talk myself down and stay reasonable and positive until her cardiologist appointment next week.  

Re: Heart murmur

• Options
    I don't have experience with children having heart murmurs but I know it's not uncommon to have one and it not impact your life or health. I have one and it is such a non issue doctors didn't even notice I had it until I was 20! 
  • Options
    I also don't have any experience with it but my dad has one and has no impact. I don't think he even knew he had one until he was older but apparently always had it. Best of luck!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DH had one as a child and now our LO has one. We found out when we were in the hospital for an infect with LO. I must have had a deer in the headlights look because the Drs quickly went on to say it's no big deal and most kids grow out of the murmur once the heart muscle matures more. Fx the cardiologist puts your anxiety at ease and your LO is completely healthy! 
  • Options
    I'm a nicu nurse and I see newborns all of the time with murmurs. Most go away on their own. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about!!! They are much more common than people realize
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    I have a heart murmur and I'm fine :smile: They didn't find mine until I was a teenager. I went to the cardiologist and had an exam and ultrasound of my heart and like in most cases it was considered benign. I had a second ultra sound in my mid 20s just to check to make sure everything was status quo. 
  • Options
    I have a murmur too and I'm perfectly healthy. I'm sure they'd like to just check your little one to be on the safe side  :)
  • Options
    Thank you guys so much!  This really calmed me down.  Our pediatrician told us not to worry but it's hard not to, especially when LO is still so young.  Anyway, thanks again!  Really helped to hear from you all.
  • Options
    mom2be2016mom2be2016 member
    edited June 2016

• Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    @mom2be2016 , I'm not 100% sure that story was helpful in this scenario where mama already says she has postpartum anxiety... She's already taking the next step so a "worst case scenario" story like that won't do much other than add to her fear. and cause unnecessary worry..

But OP, what I would take from that above story is that DESPITE all the scary shit that happened, her baby is still fine too. So even if it is more than a murmer, there are additional steps that can be taken, and you are still very, very likely to end up with a positive outcome. Your baby is going to be fine. I would bet on it in a heartbeat...
  • Options
    mom2be2016mom2be2016 member
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    I have a heart murmur, so does my mom and sister.  It's never been an issue for anything. 
  • Options
    The dr detected one at Graham's appt when he was only 2 months old. We went to the cardiologist and it was a little stressful bc he was so young, but everything turned out fine. Like yours, my dr had told me that it was more than likely nothing, but she just wanted to be safe. She was right! Your LO will be fine, it's all standard procedure. 

One ne thing I will advise is that you bring someone with you to the appt if they are doing an echocardiogram because it took both me and my mom holding him to keep all his limbs still enough to get accurate readings. I'm sure they will have a nurse that can help you if you don't have someone to go with you though. Good luck! Everything will be fine! 
  • Options
    Completely normal to worry, that's your baby!
    Two of mine had PDAs at birth, one still does and has a murmur. She is happy and healthy, quite chunky really! It is not affecting her at all, and will likely close up before her first birthday. 
    Even if this is not a benign murmur (which is really
    common) the fact that your baby shows no signs or symptoms is the most important. 

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!