Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Transitioning from nursing to sleep

Any advice on helping my 13 month old fall asleep? Now that she doesn't nurse to sleep I feel like I don't know how to get her to sleep. DH can get her to sleep but it's a struggle for me. Tonight DH is gone and it took me a good hour and a half to get her to sleep. I did our normal bedtime routine but she just wants to keep playing. I had to lie her down in her crib and let her cry for 5 minutes, then 7, then 10. After the 10 minute stretch she went to sleep. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong when I go back in to comfort her like staying too long, holding her too long or what. She always starts screaming again right when I lie her down or even when I stand up to walk to her crib. It is so hard for me to hear her scream like that, breaks my heart. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Transitioning from nursing to sleep

• Options
    My son has always nursed to sleeo until about 15 months he's 21 months now and he still nurses before bes but doesbt fall asleep during anymore it just became a part of routine and after I would lay him down and gently talk to him while rubbing his back or sing and walk out he did the same thing as you LO for a long time he would cry for up to 10 minuts and fall asleep. Like you I hated hearing him cry but I just stuck to our routine before bed put him down stayed for a little and left it took some time but after a while ten minuts turned to five  and now he will lay down I still stay for a minute and when I leave he will  sing himself to sleep. not a ton of advice but it seems like your doing the right things. From what I hear babys that have nursed to sleep may have a harder time self soothing at night at first and crying is a part of it,it will take a little time but just be consistent and patient and it will happen:)
  • Options
    I've heard some ladys would lay in room with LO as well and that helped in my experience it didn't help my ds just got more upset hah but its worth a shot if you haven't tried it already
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's just going to be like that for a bit because of of the change in routine. It sounds like you have a good strategy and if you can be consistent about it, she will get used to it quicker. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds like you're on the right track. I think consistency is the key. My bf is way better at getting our son to nap, but I generally have more success at night. When we taught him to feed in the middle of the night it was a 3 day process. When we switched up the routine to not have milk and then bed it took a solid 5 days or so. Some nights he still tests me. It's a process, that's for sure.