Baby Names
Options

Zephyr/Zephyrine

My bf is obsessed with the name Zephyr for a girl. I keep telling him it isn't really a name, but am considering it in the middle name spot.  I feel like Zephyr is a name you would reeeaaallllyyyyy have to love and be ready to defend nonstop. Today I came across the name Zephyrine. I have never heard of Zephyr or Zephyrine. What does everyone else think? Are they super weird made up names? Ever met anyone named Zephyr or Zephyrine? I appreciate the input.

Re: Zephyr/Zephyrine

• Options
    No, and especially no to Zephyrine. Zephyr in the middle name spot is okay, if he loves it and you need a compromise.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Zephyr is ok in the middle name spot. Just say no to Zephyrine.

ETA: I missed the part where you said this was for a girl. I assumed it was for a boy. Zephyr sounds masculine to me.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @kmvisioli, @vineheart137, and @Bringmemylongswordho! Some of his name suggestions are so left field I don't get it. 

• Options
    The only Zephyr I've ever heard of is a dog in my parents neighborhood growing up.

Say no- and middle name it if you must.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I've never heard of either name before this, and I'm not partial to either. What about Zelda? 
  • Options
    They are Greek. Zephyr is masculine,  Zephyrine is feminine.  I would assume/expect Greek heritage. Otherwise I'd assume you were big stoners or pretentious hipsters.
    This.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    My FI and I had a hard time agreeing on names too. I eventually just had to make a big master list and he picked what he liked from the list. He was coming up with some very strange names before that. 

Agreed, would rather see Zephyr on a boy and just no to Zephyrine. Even with Greek heritage, I feel like there are nicer Greek names than that for a girl.
  • Options
    Isn't a Zephyr a train? At least that's what the symbol was of a HS near where I grew up! So no, that's not a person's name in my world. 
  • Options
    1000000% agree with the always correct @Bringmemylongswordho
  • Options
    Isn't a Zephyr a train? At least that's what the symbol was of a HS near where I grew up! So no, that's not a person's name in my world. 
    It's a light breeze. 
  • Options
    The thought of Zephyr/Zephyrine as names has me cracking up, because growing up, my mom didn't like the word fart so she taught us to say zephyr instead. She thought it was funny, since like pp said, Zephyr means light breeze. I realize this is a totally isolated incident. But just wanted to share that it makes me think you're naming your kid Fart lmao. FWIW I would middle name it, or cross it off the list.
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options
    kmvisioli said:
    It's a light breeze. 
    By definition yes, but apparently also a very popular name in the transportation industry. In addition to over a dozen trains being named Zephyr there are at least a dozen aircraft, watercraft and cars. Ooooh maybe Zephyr is the new Mercedes or Bentley?!?!?! ;)
  • Options
    kmvisioli said:
    It's a light breeze. 
    By definition yes, but apparently also a very popular name in the transportation industry. In addition to over a dozen trains being named Zephyr there are at least a dozen aircraft, watercraft and cars. Ooooh maybe Zephyr is the new Mercedes or Bentley?!?!?! ;)
    To be fair, Mercedes was a legit name before it was a car...
  • Options
    kmvisioli said:
    It's a light breeze. 
    Hahaha oh my god. Best analogy. My bf does seem to have a knack for picking the most trendy names. It's bad. 
  • Options
    I met a MALE in college named zephyr. He was a long haired hippie guy in a band. I thought it was a strange name when I met the guy (also thought it was made up, didn't know About the Greek thing), I couldn't even get on board with it as a name for a girl. 
  • Options
    MamaCoffinMamaCoffin member
    edited June 2016
    Zephyrine sounds like a new drug with terrible side effects.

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!