September 2015 Moms
Options

Food Restrictions

Just had our 9 month wellness checkup today.  Was talking to the doctor about finger foods, etc.  He gave us the okay for any fruit (besides citrus until after 12 months) and all veggies.  He wants us to start introducing pureed meats (starting with chicken & turkey), and then go to pieces of meat as LO tolerates it.  He also said little pieces of noodles and rice were fine too.

He does want us to hold off on any egg whites or peanut butter or nuts until 12 months.  Any of your doctors advise the same? I know there are many mixed opinions on this.

Also, our son had problems with reflux, so he's been on Alimentum formula and taking Prevacid.  We are weaning him off the Prevacid now, with only a few pills left. Once completely off of that, the doctor said after about a month we can introduce a little bit of dairy (yogurt) to see how he reacts.  Anyone have their LO on a special formula like Alimentum or Nutramigen without having any reactions to dairy once trying it?  

Hoping we don't have any issues with dairy!

Re: Food Restrictions

• Options
    Mine wants us to try everything but peanut products before his 1 year appt. she said since he is still getting breastmilk, it's best to introduce eggs and other common allergens when he has the BM to help with the inflammation. I'm stil cautious but I think we will start around 10 months. She said tree nuts are ok too. Just not PB. And she wants me to give him cow dairy and almond milk with his BM close to 12 mos to help him transition. I still make all his foods and we don't do any grains. Very cautious to introduce those due to a family history of gluten intolerance. 

We we have been giving him organic grass fed beef, chicken and turkey for at least a month now too with no issues. 
  • Options
    At our 6 month appointment our doc said to go ahead and introduce literally anything we wanted with the exception of honey. We've introduced every allergen at least a few times.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our Dr said to give anything but honey starting at 6 months, and that's the same recommendation as Health Canada and AAP. We haven't had any issues with allergens. LO loves peanut butter on toast, scrambled eggs, and all meat and fish. LO doesn't really like much citrus, but she's had it; sliced orange, and we put lemon juice in most marinades and salad dressings.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah every doc is different. My boys doc said to go ahead & try anything except for honey & sushi. Which i already knew. He gave me the green light on eggs. & he told me to buy peanut powder i think it is or peanut butter powder & add it to their breakfast.

Then again mine havent had reflux nor allergies to anything so far (thank God). So maybe he wants you to hold off because of his reflux? Or maybe just because thats what he feels comfortable with. Honestly do what you feel comftorable with.
  • Options
    chein1chein1 member
    My LO has reflux and only spits up formula. Keeps yogurt, cheese, and all solids down. It's literally just formula her body is rejecting. I'm transitioning her to whole milk prior to her 12 month check-up to see if it helps. (I'm a second time mom, and I've already discussed this with her doctor). 
  • Options
    We are giving everything except honey before one.  The AAP recommends starting allergenic foods early.   We will probably start introducing (slowly) cows milk around 11 months.  
  • Options
    DD1 was on alimentum.  She had to stay on formula til 13 months and then weaned to soy milk for a few months before trying dairy milk.  Now she is 7 and loves 1% milk!  DD's pedi just said no PB until 11 months (said put some on her cheek to see if she breaks out).  She had an allergic reaction to eggs at 7 months so we're waiting to try again at 1 year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was told anything but shellfish and to be careful with peanut butter- more so as a choking hazard than an allergin. Doc said that since there is absolutely no family history on either side of food allergies that LO is unlikely to have any.
  • Options
    My son is on nutramigen for formula intolerance and we see an allergist. He's had blood allergy test to prove that he is allergic to oat and eggs. Our allergist recommends starting peanuts because he tested negative when they did the blood work. I introduced it and he had no reaction. I'm not allowed, well I shouldn't say "allowed" but the allergist doesn't recommend that we start Noah on any cows milk/dairy until he is 2 years old. When he turns 1 and is supposed to change to cows milk, well be introducing almond milk and coconut milk instead.
    The allergist said Noah can't have straight dairy or eggs but wants us to try foods that have those ingredients in them, but are not the main ingredient. I started with organic macaroni and cheese and he's done great so far 
  • Options

shelbydd said:
    I was told anything but shellfish and to be careful with peanut butter- more so as a choking hazard than an allergin. Doc said that since there is absolutely no family history on either side of food allergies that LO is unlikely to have any.
    I put a little peanut butter on my finger and give it to him that way. The allergy part sucks on our behalf. He's father and I don't have any food allergies, we have no idea where his allergies came from 
  • Options
    tvistetviste member
    My daughter is on Alimentum formula and has had no reaction to cheese, yogurt or cottage cheese. We have also tried eggs and peanut butter. She did break out in a rash from the eggs when we first introduced them a couple months ago, but she was fine when we gave them to her just the other day. She reacted to pears when shs first tried them too, but now she eats them just about everyday with no reaction. 
  • Options

shelbydd said:
    I put a little peanut butter on my finger and give it to him that way. The allergy part sucks on our behalf. He's father and I don't have any food allergies, we have no idea where his allergies came from 
    Does anyone in extended family on either side have any? My doctor didn't say it was impossible for him to have food allergies, just that it was a lot less likely.
  • Options
    @shelbydd no that's the crazy part! There's no known food allergies on either side