October 2016 Moms
Options

Rocker/Glider Suggestions?

LGW2015LGW2015 member
edited June 2016 in October 2016 Moms
We are registered for everything except for a rocker/glider. I plan on breastfeeding and want something comfortable to use. We'll probably put it in the living room at least to start seeing how that's where we'll be most of the time (and I'm not sure one would fit in the baby's room the way we have it arranged right now).

DH's parents want to get it for us but I'm at a complete loss on where to even start looking for one. Anyone have any recommendations or want to share what they registered for? Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Rocker/Glider Suggestions?

• Options
    Oh oh I'm following. I had a basic glider with my first and I used it so much I had to throw it out. The springs popped out and some of the wood broke. I breastfed my daughter until she was 2 so this time around its at the top of my list for important items.

I will need something my 6'3" husband can comfortable sit in, he would switch out with me if my daughter was having a rough night. So that's something to consider. I also liked having a stationary stool for my feet instead of the moving glider stool, just works better to get a better angle with my lap.

I have also heard that having a recliner is pretty handy as well. I would of loved to be able to recline during those early months with back to back feedings and night time nursings. 
  • Options
    Honestly, I have debated on getting a lazy boy recliner with a breastfeeding stool lol but I hate how they look. But I imagine with extra pillows under my arms during the floppy newborn stage, it's probably super comfortable. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went to Babies R Us and tried out all the gliders/rockers. I really liked one, but husband is too tall and his head kept flopping back. We really liked the Charleston Espresso Wood Glider (you can see it on Babies R Us), but I started looking for similar designs with different fabric/wood options, because the espresso color doesn't go with the baby furniture. 

I also liked some of the options at Pottery Barn Baby/Kids, but those are extra pricey. I believe there is a glider out for people to try at Target as well. I'd just try things out in person with husband to see if you both like something/are comfortable in it. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I went on a chair finding expedition and after trying dozens and dozens of chairs out, my favorite is a ridic spendy one I found at Buy Buy Baby.  Disclaimer: I have a long history of back problems so the average chair was not going to work extended periods for breastfeeding anyway.  I love the chair.  It's beautiful, will fit right in with the living room decor if we ever want it out of baby's room, so comfy I could fall asleep in it (and almost did), and since it's from BB&B I can use a 20% off coupon on it.

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/bebe-confort-reg-milan-swivel-glider-in-graphite-grey/1043711154?skuId=43711154&registryId=542738245&sopt=

Bebe Confort Milan Swivel Glider in Graphite Grey

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Something similar to what @anna.oskar just posted. I have a glider that we used for DS but ran into two issues with it. First, it was too narrow to fit the boppy around me during feeding time, and second the arms (padded) were too high so holding DS comfortably was near impossible. I am hoping to find an affordable overstuffed rocking chair for this baby instead. I love my glider now just for lounging in but found it was not very practical with a baby. FWIW, I am a very petite mom so it definitely wasn't me, it was the chair LOL. 
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    We have this one from Wayfair currently in DS1 nursery. It comes in several colors and is on sale right now! I will say it needed a lumbar support pillow (grabbed a $10 Target one) and I wouldn't mind the back being a couple inches taller, but I just put my legs up on the ottoman and lean back when I'm resting in there.
  • Options
    My grandmother has an Ethan Allen rocking chair that she offered to us. Very old style type, but great condition. We need to order a cushion for it, but we love it. We tried a lot of gliders/rockers and found that it was the only thing we were both comfortable in and that would be easy to get out of with the baby.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    UponAStar16UponAStar16 member
    edited June 2016
    Dutailier's multi position reclining glider and ottoman is my ideal choice, but very expensive so I'm trying to either find a decent alternative or find the same one somewhere cheaper than BRU

edited to add: I tried looking for cheaper ones but out of the limited selection at BRU and buybuy baby, the other floor models were too short (couldn't lean my head back), uncomfortable, or were creaking and not gliding smoothly 
  • Options
    We have both a lazy boy and a glider. I like my lazy boy cause you can use extra pillows and get a decent nights sleep. I like my glider for quick feeds.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We got the Morgan glider and ottoman from BRU three years ago for DS's room. It's insanely comfortable and held up really well. I love it. 

https://www.toysrus.com/buy/rocker-or-glider-ottoman/kacy-collection-morgan-nursery-swivel-glider-crushed-silver-fabric-with-white-contrast-piping-5724-21830316

Side note: If you have a 20% off coupon, you can use it on this. Then, if you open a credit card there, they'll give you another 15% off. We did this and essentially got the ottoman for free.

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• Options
    Anyone have any recs for a small but comfy glider? We found one at babies r us that we loved, but now I'm thinking it is too large for our tiny nursery. 
  • Options
    @UponAStar16 ok now I want that reclining glider too! Why does it have to be so expensive :(
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Dutailier's multi position reclining glider and ottoman is my ideal choice, but very expensive so I'm trying to either find a decent alternative or find the same one somewhere cheaper than BRU

edited to add: I tried looking for cheaper ones but out of the limited selection at BRU and buybuy baby, the other floor models were too short (couldn't lean my head back), uncomfortable, or were creaking and not gliding smoothly 
    Reading this as I lounge in my Dutailier Glider and Ottoman, watching the little bubs fall asleep. This is seriously the most comfortable chair ever. Best $$$ spent.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Options
    Anyone have any recs for a small but comfy glider? We found one at babies r us that we loved, but now I'm thinking it is too large for our tiny nursery. 
    Check out the babyletto madison swivel glider. It's small and super comfy.
  • Options
    we'll likely end up going with Best Chairs in a recliner version (link to best chairs below). Apparently, moms love their chairs and I like that they have the dimensions of each chair listed on the website. I believe some are sold at BRU and the like.

We have a place in NC called Transit Damage Freight. They carry transit damaged furniture but can also order new and the prices are much lower than typical retail (we found an almost $1k savings on the nursery furniture). So be sure that if you go with this, you call around to see if you can get a better price elsewhere. Our place also has all the fabric swatches for us to look at before we choose.

https://www.besthf.com/best/Storytime/Recliners
  • Options

Yes, Dutailier! They are hundreds of dollars, but they will last you decades. The one I'm using was built in the 1990s and is still in great condition. You can order new replacement cushions from them choosing from hundreds of swatches too, which is what I did because gross 20 year old cushions. The glider you buy now could be used for your grandbabies. I'd say that is well worth the $600 price ticket.
  • Options
    That one looks great @annabenanna!!

I also saw some good chairs on the Costco website... and they're really good about returns
  • Options
    @annabenanna maybe we will be chair twins... I loooove that! 
  • Options
    Omg I'm so torn now about this Dutailier! That and this baby's name have been the hardest decisions haha! I have to make a decision tonight to either go with probably buying it ourselves, or accept a used glider that's in good shape but not the kind or color I wanted. I never splurge especially on something I kind of see as a "luxury" but don't want to accept it then regret not going ahead and buying my ideal one...  :#
  • Options
    I sat in a Best Chairs brand one at Buy Buy Baby (can't find the link online) and it was seriously heaven.  If I didn't already have one, I'd have bought it on the spot! 

We got a used Pottery Barn glider on craig's list originally, and it was super uncomfortable and creaky.  It was one of those wood frame ones with an ottoman.  We sold that and went with an upholstered rocker/recliner, which we'd avoided because of price.  Seriously the best investment ever.  Maybe I should've skipped getting baby bedding and gotten this to begin with, ha!

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=33941076
    We still use it to rock our 2.5 year old occasionally, and it's held up well and will go in our son's nursery.  There were many nights that I used the reclining part to catch some sleep when we were having a hard time getting dd to sleep.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I sat in a Best Chairs brand one at Buy Buy Baby (can't find the link online) and it was seriously heaven.  If I didn't already have one, I'd have bought it on the spot! 

We got a used Pottery Barn glider on craig's list originally, and it was super uncomfortable and creaky.  It was one of those wood frame ones with an ottoman.  We sold that and went with an upholstered rocker/recliner, which we'd avoided because of price.  Seriously the best investment ever.  Maybe I should've skipped getting baby bedding and gotten this to begin with, ha!

We still use it to rock our 2.5 year old occasionally, and it's held up well and will go in our son's nursery.  There were many nights that I used the reclining part to catch some sleep when we were having a hard time getting dd to sleep.

how tall are you? I'm 5'2" and the issue I'm having with every chair I look at is that the reviews say that the chair isn't for short people because they can't reach the ground to even try rocking. We're considering Best Chairs but I'm worried about the height.
  • Options
    @annabenanna maybe we will be chair twins... I loooove that! 
    Right @ashleyp625?  From the reviews it looks like it's wide too.... I like that, because I'm pretty sure the kitty will be wedging her way between my thigh and the arm rest! 
  • Options
    @annabenanna I looked on wayfair before and couldn't find anything I liked in gray that wasn't like $700. I don't know where you dug that one up, but I think it's the winner ;) 
  • Options
    bnsmith85 said:

how tall are you? I'm 5'2" and the issue I'm having with every chair I look at is that the reviews say that the chair isn't for short people because they can't reach the ground to even try rocking. We're considering Best Chairs but I'm worried about the height.
    I'm 5'7".  I'm not sure if it would be an issue or not, I would definitely try to go to a Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby before committing.  Could you put pillows behind you so that you sit forward more if your feet don't touch the ground?  That's not ideal, but it might be worth it if you're really wanting an upholstered rocker.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just bought our glider, I'm so excited!  I went back and forth a lot between so many options.  We're really trying to save money right now so we didn't want to blow the budget on a chair, but of course comfort is so important.  The other issue is, like @strickland8052 we also have a small nursery space and are really limited in the size of the chair, but I wanted my 6'1" husband to be able to fit in it!  

We ended up picking the Delta Chloe glider in grey.  They had basically the same one in beige on display at Target and it was super comfortable.  The grey was sold out everywhere except, randomly, Sears.  They had a bunch of promotions on it too, and we're able to pick it up in store (there's one only a few minutes from our house) in a few days.  It's just the right amount of modern and it'll go great with our other furniture.  I can't wait!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    I ordered the one @annabenanna posted last night! Can't wait for it to get here! 
  • Options
    Yay @ashleyp625!!!!  Mine gets here tomorrow, and I cannot wait!!!!  I hope it's as good as it reviewed. :)  
  • Options
    Yay @ashleyp625!!!!  Mine gets here tomorrow, and I cannot wait!!!!  I hope it's as good as it reviewed. :)  
    I hope you love it! Let me know what you think! Mine comes on 6/22. 
  • Options
    KaessiKaessi member
    @annabenanna & @ashleyp625 Would love a review once it comes in! I've got it narrowed down to this one & one more. Hope to make a final decision by next week!
  • Options
    Kaessi said:
    @annabenanna & @ashleyp625 Would love a review once it comes in! I've got it narrowed down to this one & one more. Hope to make a final decision by next week!
    You got it girl!  I'll write review and post pics probably this weekend. :)
  • Options
    von1976von1976 member
    edited June 2016
    We are on a tight budget, so a glider/rocker isn't going to work out for us. I have an IKEA Ektorp stuffed chair (not the Jennylund one, but the regular one) and footstool already in the room. We're just going to buy a new cover for both ($49.99 together). I may buy a swivel rocker base for it. I saw a DIY hack for turning the chair into a swivel rocker online, but not unless I can find the parts for less than $100. Wish we could afford one, but my mom has already graciously offered to buy us a dresser, so I can't ask for more.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    We ordered this one today. It was pretty cheap, so I'm kinda nervous about the quality, but all the reviewers said it was awesome. The main selling point was the height of the back. We're tall people and finding a chair we could rest our head on was a seemingly impossible task. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited June 2016
    @annabenanna thanks for writing a review! 2 things:
    1- the reviews for every chair I've looked at have said that if you're a shorty like you and I, you're not going to be able to reach the floor. So I don't think any other chair would have been better in that regard.
    2-do you think some WD40 would help it close easier?
  • Options
    Thanks, @annabenanna, for the review! I'm glad you like it and can't wait for mine to come on Monday! 
  • Options
    We just bought a laZboy recliner/rocker. I love the look of chair and ottoman but I don't think we have the space. It's super.comfy and on the small size, perfect for nursery!! 
  • Options
    I just ordered our Dutailier glider on Amazon for $100-150 cheaper than I could find at any stores! So excited that I finally made the decision, and it will arrive by July 1!
  • Options
    LGW2015LGW2015 member
    edited June 2016
    Help! So we went to Toys R Us and tested some out. This one was super comfy 
    but it's obviously on the cheap side so I have no idea how it will hold up. Anyone have this glider? Once we decided on it and told MIL (who is buying it for us), my mother said that she talked to my grandparents who offered to buy us the expensive one (most likely Dutailer). MIL originally wanted to buy us a traditional glider (made locally) anyway so now I'm debating whether we should go with the Shermag because we liked it well enough or if I should tell MIL to get us whatever she wanted to originally as more of a living room furniture type of thing and have the grandparents get us the fancy Dutailer for nursing. Is it worth it?! 

ETA: we'd most likely go with this Dutailer 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @LGW2015 ... get the one you like. If you have two people offering to buy, let them. That said, I wouldn't think you'd need two. Maybe one of the family members can get you one and you can ask the other if they'd be okay with getting another big ticket item instead, like a travel system? Just some ideas.

Also, if you're worried about quality, I'd start doing some googling to find reviews from people who have it (if you don't hear anything from the girls from O16