Health & Exercise

Bladder Control Issues During Exercise - How Much is Normal?

geecaligeecali member
edited June 2016 in Health & Exercise

DD is 6 weeks tomorrow - I had a vaginal delivery with episiotomy and everything checked out normal at my post-partum appointment last week. I started working out again this week and I'm having the most mortifying leaking issues. I always had minor issues (even pre-pregnancy) when doing certain exercises, such as jumping jacks, but I could always minimize it by doing a kegel during certain parts of the exercise. Now, though, it seems to be during any form of exercise - running, burpees, squats, you name it, and it just seems to be constant rather than at certain points like it was before - I couldn't even do a kegel to stop it if I wanted to, because I'd have to be holding the kegel for the entire duration of my workout! This is totally TMI, but I was visibly soaked through my shorts yesterday - I sat down on the curb at one point and when I got up, I left a wet spot behind me. 

I want to bring this up with my doctor, but before I do, can anyone tell me what's considered normal, run-of-the-mill post-partum leaking that will hopefully get better in that 3-6 month window that I keep seeing quoted online, versus excessive leaking that will require physical therapy or maybe even surgery? This certainly seems excessive to me and is definitely interfering with my daily life, but I'm a FTM and not sure what to expect. Thanks!

Re: Bladder Control Issues During Exercise - How Much is Normal?

• I went for my first post partum run yesterday and had the same issue my baby is 4 weeks old. I'm a FTM but I just assumed it was normal. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• I'm having the same issues and my LO is 6 weeks old. I'm very nervous because i don't think my mom friends have had it this bad and I wonder if it will get better on its own. I was pushing for 2 hours in labor and I had an episiotomy so I think mine is worse, plus I wasn't good about doing kegels during pregnancy. Trying to do them now! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so glad I stumbled upon this post! 
    Please know that leaking with exercise is NOT, NOT, NOT normal!!!
    It is common,  but not normal!  
    There are things you can do to fix it, beyond kegels.  The absolute best thing you can do is go see a Pelvic Health Physiotherapist, sometimes called a women's health physio. Sometimes you need a doctors referral, sometimes you can self refer. 
    There are also tonnes of online exercise programs you can do, Google Julie Wiebe,  pregnancy exercise.co.nz, jessie mundell. 
    Please do not accept this as your new normal!  You are putting yourself at risk for prolapse or other issues down the road!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers