December 2015 Moms

Teething duration

help! So LO is 6 months in a few days and I can feel little nubs were his 2 first teeth are coming in at the same time. My question is how long does it take to fully erupt the skin? If I feel the nubs has it already erupted? It's been 4 days and he seems to be getting more and more irritable and sleeping worst and worst. can find much info on this online since it's so child specific.. Thanks!

Re: Teething duration

• Every child is different. Keep trying comfort measures until they come through. 
  • Exactly. Every child is different. Unfortunately it could be anywhere from days to months. Yes, months (DS was this way). It's awful and breaks your heart but it will eventually be over.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok, let me preface by saying that, yes, every child is different. That being said, my mom wss convinced that both my girls were teething and I didn't buy it. I asked the doctor and she told me that they recently did a study to try to figure out if teething really was the cause of endless months of fussing, fever, and drool. They found, fairly definitively, that teething only lasts the length of time it takes the tooth to actually break, meaning a few days per tooth. No endless months of fussing in a "pre teething" situation. Now...if your baby cuts multiple teeth one right after the other, that might be a different story.

As for us, I still don't think the girls are teething. I think they were just having a fussy period. And still no teeth, so I guess it's Mommy: 1 Grandma: 0 :smiley:
  • Ok, let me preface by saying that, yes, every child is different. That being said, my mom wss convinced that both my girls were teething and I didn't buy it. I asked the doctor and she told me that they recently did a study to try to figure out if teething really was the cause of endless months of fussing, fever, and drool. They found, fairly definitively, that teething only lasts the length of time it takes the tooth to actually break, meaning a few days per tooth. No endless months of fussing in a "pre teething" situation. Now...if your baby cuts multiple teeth one right after the other, that might be a different story.

As for us, I still don't think the girls are teething. I think they were just having a fussy period. And still no teeth, so I guess it's Mommy: 1 Grandma: 0 :smiley:
    I feel like the time.it takes the tooth to break through, can still be a long time. DS's move at a snails pace and would be weeks with a tooth just beneath the surface of his gums, swollen tender gums.

Either way it's miserable and the advice remains the same.
  • I hear ya! Going through the same thing here. But I just try and keep him preoccupied as much as possible.He seems like he's an extra active baby and gets bored easily so, yeah maybe it isn't just teething.
  • My daughter's first two teeth took about a week to fully pop through. 
  • Ours was 4 days for both bottom teeth

Can you find this study id love to see it??

Ok, let me preface by saying that, yes, every child is different. That being said, my mom wss convinced that both my girls were teething and I didn't buy it. I asked the doctor and she told me that they recently did a study to try to figure out if teething really was the cause of endless months of fussing, fever, and drool. They found, fairly definitively, that teething only lasts the length of time it takes the tooth to actually break, meaning a few days per tooth. No endless months of fussing in a "pre teething" situation. Now...if your baby cuts multiple teeth one right after the other, that might be a different story.

I feel like the time.it takes the tooth to break through, can still be a long time. DS's move at a snails pace and would be weeks with a tooth just beneath the surface of his gums, swollen tender gums.

Either way it's miserable and the advice remains the same.
    I agree every baby is different and maybe some babies find teething more irritable at different phases. The teeth obviously move up through the gums before they actually pop out of the gums so maybe some babies find the moving of teeth more painful. Adults all have different pain intolerance why can't babies?? I know many people that can get cavities filled without freezing but some people can't tolerate the pain and need freezing. 

I dunno just one persons opinion I suppose.
  • I'll see if I can get my husband to find the study. He's a master at digging through peer reviewed journals for that stuff.

Of course, I'm NEVER going to argue that a baby isn't teething if their mama says they are. Mama knows best!
  • I think babies react completely differently to teething. I have friends whose babies did not even make a peep and then voila! A tooth. My baby was about three-four fussy/crying days in obvious pain and could see the teeth coming. She also drools and chews excessively every day for the last 3 months
  • Ive actually read that study as well. It said teething pain should only last 3-5 days, however I can see that my baby's teeth have still not fully broken through the skin and it's been about a week. You can see some bits of them out and some still under so for sure it's taking longer to break that 3-5 days. Thanks for everyone's response