July 2015 Moms

Night feeds

At my LOs last appointment, the doctor suggested that I stop feeding around bed time so she doesn't get cavities. Then she was eating before bed and then 2-3 during the night. Now we have cut it down to before bed and once around 4 or 5. I am waiting to remove the feed before bed until she loses the other feed. However, I just can't get her to cut it. She is having a lot of growths spurts lately, but when she isn't having a spurt I still can't get her to stop. Any suggestions? To stop the others I basically had her CIO I'm my arms. I've tried to let her CIO in her crib to see if she'd fall back asleep. She won't take a bottle so I can't try the water trick. I really want a full nights sleep. Lol. 

Re: Night feeds

• n3na94n3na94 member
    edited June 2016
    I have never heard a doctor say to cut the night feeds because of cavities. I definitely think you should get a second opinion. Our babies are going through so many growth spurts that they need to be fed so their bodies grow. Breastmilk or formula are main priority before one. I still nurse my son if he wakes up during the night sometimes once and sometimes 2-3 times. I would definTely ask another doctor and if you want try a sippy cup for water and see if she takes it. Things will get better mama, hang in there and keep us posted. 
  • I have never heard of that either. Are hey concerned about obesity? My daugter still eats 3-4 times at night 
  • Loading the player...
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    She was worried about cavities. Our doctor told us that she has seen a baby with multiple cavities at 15 months because the baby was being fed a lot at night. The baby would go back to sleep right after eating, so milk would sit in their mouth all night. 
  • My LO wakes to eat 1-2x each night. He downs 4oz when he does. I figure if he's waking and finishing the bottle then he's hungry and needs it. He's on the small side anyway.
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    AKOL0 said:
    She was worried about cavities. Our doctor told us that she has seen a baby with multiple cavities at 15 months because the baby was being fed a lot at night. The baby would go back to sleep right after eating, so milk would sit in their mouth all night. 
    I never heard that before, I mean some older babies still wake to feed. Definitely consult with someone else if you can. Our babies are still young so perhaps as your baby girl grows, she will diminish the number of night feeds! Keep us posted mama! 
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    She is probably more worried about the teeth she has inherited. Lol. My husband and I both have horrible teeth. He hasn't seen a dentist in a few years and I have never seen a dentist. 

My girl isn't on the small side and gets plenty of food throughout the day, so I believe our doctor when she says my LO doesn't need fed through the night. I'm don't force her to not eat, but I do give her a few minutes to try and fall back asleep. 
  • My doc suggested the water trick so my son wont wake up at night to eat. I tried it and he screams. He dislikes water or juice. Mine wakes up once or twice a night sometimes he doesnt wake up at night if im lucky. If their hungry all you can do is feed them. Ive let mine cry and he can go for hours crying without falling asleep 
  • My doctor told me to not let Ryker go to sleep with a bottle or supply cup due to cavities, and if I did Fred him at night to take it away as soon as he falls asleep.
  • abbymessinaabbymessina member
    edited June 2016
    Are you talking about breastmilk or formula?  I'm still breastfeeding and my daughter still wakes up several times all night to eat. My boys were the same way and never had issues with their teeth.  I thought breastmilk actually acted like a natural protector on the teeth 
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    @abbymessina,  Breastmilk. Maybe my doctor is wrong. We live in too small of an area to find a different doctor. She is just a GP and not actually a pediatrician. 
  • Breastmilk doesn't cause cavities. Hazel sleeps with my boob in her mouth. She feeds pretty much all night. I think satisfying their hunger is more important than us getting uninterrupted sleep :)
  • Google la leche league, nursing doesn't cause cavities you're fine mama! Also I nurse but have cut out night feeds between10 pm and 6 am, there is a night weaning guide in sleep easy solution book that I followed and he was night weaned in a week. But if you don't want to don't do it, and honestly I've read a so many articles about how nursing doesn't cause cavities and why it's not possible. 
    BFP - 10/28/2014!

EDD 7/13/2015

Ultra Sound 12/2 @ 8+1 measuring 8+4