April 2016 Moms
Options

Sunblock??

I've read and heard varying opinions on this subject for babies under 6 months, whether to apply or not. We're going to the beach in a couple weeks and I still am undecided on what to do! For those mamas who are pro sunblock, what product do you use? 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Sunblock??

• Options
    We are going to the beach in July and will definitely be using sunblock. Even if they aren't in direct sunlight I feel like it can reflect off the sand and water!! We got some babyganics sunscreen As a gift and will probably use that!!
  • Options
    We went to a parade yesterday and even though LO is only 2 months I decided to use it. I used aveeno baby. It worked well and he didn't seem to mind it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can use coconut oil. Only 4 spf bit that blocks 75% of uv rays.
  • Options
    Coconut oil works as sunscreen? How often do I reapply?
  • Options
    I'm guessing as often a you'd apply anything that would come off? Its supposedly controversial about how much spf it has depending on the type. I use it when there will be a bit of sun... But if your LO will be in the sun for an extended amount of time, I'd still go with a broad spectrum screen, just try it on a small patch of skin a couple days before to make sure it doesn't irritate.
  • Options
    We use badger. Pedi told me no sunscreen until 4 mos, which is when we're taking our beach vacation. Until then, long sleeves and blankets to cover exposed skin. I'd rather risk sunblock than sunburn.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with @kielpinskim that I would rather risk sunblock than sunburn. So far I have been able to keep R shaded and out of the sun, but if we were going to the beach I would definitely put sunscreen on her. We use the Neutrogena baby sunscreen.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    We bought a sun tent for the beach and it was really nice for the whole family (the bottom was great). It has UV protection. In the sun, DS wore a hat and I wore him so he was pretty covered. We bought think baby sunscreen because it is mineral based just in case but never needed it for him. 
  • Options
    MrsCayEyeMrsCayEye member
    edited June 2016
    I try to keep DD in the shade with the canopy pulled up on the car seat and/or stroller. We have a beach house and if I take her down to the beach I will use badger baby sunscreen on any exposed skin even though she will still be shaded by the stroller canopy and the beach tent we use. I would rather risk the sunscreen than the sunburn. 
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I bought a sunshirt and I'll probably buy some sunblock too.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Asked doctor yesterday and she said try to keep him in the shade, but that sunscreen is absolutely better than a sunburn. She said look for products that have a main or singular ingredient of zinc oxide. She shrugged and said it's the same thing that's in diaper rash cream, and that's not harmful. My goal is to keep him out of sun as much as possible, but use sunscreen as needed. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My aunt uses coconut oil as a tanning oil... . As an Aesthetician I definitely don't recommend attempting it as a sun block on a baby. Nor as a tanning oil. 
  • Options
    We spent the day at the lake a couple weeks ago.  Autumn stayed in the shade all day.  When I wore her, I walked with an umbrella so she had shade everywhere we went.  She spent the day in just a diaper, no sunblock.  If it hadn't been as shaded as it was, I would have used a zinc oxide sunblock. They're not always easy to find.  You want to stay away from titanium dioxide.  

• Options
    Those that have taken baby to beach or the pool: what are you dressing them in? I looked around and saw some swim shorts but nothing small enough for LO. 
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    Those that have taken baby to beach or the pool: what are you dressing them in? I looked around and saw some swim shorts but nothing small enough for LO. 
    A cloth swim diaper
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    A cloth swim diaper
     Same! This is what we have (and love): https://www.blueberrydiapers.com/Home/Bulk-Ordering/freestyle
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    We use the honest company reusable swim diaper and it works great. It feels more like a bathing suit than a diaper.
    https://www.honest.com/baby/honest-swim-diapers 
  • Options
    Ok so for those who are using the cloth swim diapers, does the pee still leak through those like it does with disposable swim diapers? 

We go boating a lot and are in/out of the water/boat a lot. Any suggestions for what to do to during the dry time? 
  • Options
    Ok so for those who are using the cloth swim diapers, does the pee still leak through those like it does with disposable swim diapers? 

We go boating a lot and are in/out of the water/boat a lot. Any suggestions for what to do to during the dry time? 
    The iplay swim diapers have a microfiber layer on the inside to help absorb wetness.  I'm not sure about the others.  My Bummis just keep the poop out.

• Options

The Blueberrys will hold a little pee, but they are more designed to contain poop. 
  • Options

We used a applecheeks swim diaper with DD1 and just changed into regular diapers when we were out of the water. Not super convenient, but no accidents.
    kids with flags