October 2015 Moms

Tips on flying with eight month old

So next week I'm going on a plane with my eight month old. I'm actually terrified. Anyone have any tips on how to make this easier? It will be just me and her and I'm holding her on my lap. Also she's formula fed. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm starting to dread this trip more than be excited for it

Re: Tips on flying with eight month old

• Bring plenty of toys! It might be a good idea to feed her during takeoff and landing to help with her ears. And bring a change of clothes for both of you just in case. Good luck!
  •  I'm a complete wreck I don't know why this is stressing me out so much. Fortunately we're just going to South Carolina to my brother's house so it's not like we'll be in the middle of nowhere and not have access to get what we need
  • Loading the player...
  • We flew at the end of April and it was soooooo much better than I was expecting.  If you can get a window seat I recomend it.  Isaac loved looking out the window and when he fell asleep I had something to lean on while holding him.  If you formula feed I would have one bottle premade before going through security and have other supplies with you.  I would also bring some snacks like puffs if your LO eats them.  Our guy ate on one take off but just used his binky on the rest of the take offs and landings.  We had a small carriage to use getting around the airport at our lay overs and we gate checked it which worked well.  We way over packed for our flights so I recomend only taking whats necessary.  Also make sure to change LO before the flight as you will not want to be changing a wiggly baby in the airplane bathroom.  Good luck!  Enjoy your time in South Carolina.
  • Thanks sooo much!! Im definately going to be getting an umbrella style stroller, as our travel system one is super bulky.
    They will let me take a premade bottle through security? I tried to call the airline to aske soecifics but the man didnt spesk english and didnt know anything about baby stuff. 

Im a way overpacker by nature, maybe this is why its hard lol 

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
  • Since you are holding LO on your lap, ask to be seated in a row with an extra oxygen mask. If anything should happen, LO will need a mask too. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a safe flight. If you need to walk around the plane for a change of scenery to keep LO entertained. Also, you could ask for an extra cup and  napkins during drink service. LO can crumple the napkins or you can put puffs in the cup for an impromptu rattle.
  • I have no input because we've never flown but good luck. If you want to see overpacking, this was our trip in April (we drove to South Carolina) but we were in hotels.. I was laughing hysterically everytime we checked out (we bounced around a lot for 2 weeks..)

Have fun! We had fun but it was a lot of work haha
  • trishee13 said:
    I have no input because we've never flown but good luck. If you want to see overpacking, this was our trip in April (we drove to South Carolina) but we were in hotels.. I was laughing hysterically everytime we checked out (we bounced around a lot for 2 weeks..)

Have fun! We had fun but it was a lot of work haha
    That would totally be me if we drove!!!! I swore I was going to be one of those simple mom's. But I keep finding things that make my life easier and now I have an entire house full of baby crap

Fortunately for us we have layovers between the flights so we will only be stuck on the plane for an hour and a half at a time

• Not a big deal at all. We traveled twice within two weeks with our then 7-8 month old. Super easy just bring your milk or formula and a few toys. Our LO looked around then ate and slept. We gatechecked car seat and stroller at the plane.