December 2015 Moms

Rolling Over

Just curious how other babies are doing in this area. My son is now 6 months old and he rolled over a total of 5 times back at 3.5 months and never again. He sits up (supported) very well, likes to stand and jump but seems completely uninterested in rolling over. He will cry after 20-30 minutes of tummy time till I roll him over or pick him up. My MIL told me he will not be able to crawl or sit up alone if he doesn't roll over. 

Re: Rolling Over

• Don't listen to your mil. Babies all develop at their own pace. DD is similar. She's 5 months, 1 week. She's rolled over front to back and back to front a few times, but she doesn't really care about it. We still so tummy time and she is starting to get herself really high up on her hands. Just do what your LO is interested in and don't forget tummy time and baby will come around.
  • So I have been stressing about this same thing. DD will be 6 months on the 7th and just barley learned to roll front to back. If she seems fine other than rolling I wouldnt worry too much about it
  • Loading the player...
  • kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
    edited May 2016
    Once they master the skill the are usually done with it for a while but do come back to it. 
  • taysuntaysun member
    Ignore your MIL on this particular occasion. 
  • DD just turned 5 months and she really wants to roll over but still can't do it. She can sit up if supported.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• My LO rolled a few times right at 3 months. Then was totally uninterested. All of the sudden at 5 months she is a rolling maniac and sleeps on her tummy or side, literally overnight. I've heard from other moms too that they will often just suddenly decide to use a skill. Keep doing TT and I am sure your babe will surprise you one day! 
  • I will have to try the roly poll game! Thank you for the suggestion @Mizuiro007
  • I'm in the same boat! He loves to sit and stand...but tummy time, he freaks out. Going to try the roly poly game too! Maybe he'll be like me though and just go straight to walking at 9 months. Who knows!? Trying not to get to stressed about it since all babies are different. And PS. My MIL is being the same way. Ugh..
  • edited June 2016
    Ours rolled both ways within a week of her 4 month checkup, stopped completely, and now is SO into rolling onto her tummy that she's started sleeping that way (which terrifies DH!) She loves to sit, and has since before she had the strength to support herself. She's 6 months today.  Don't worry ;)
  • tepr14tepr14 member
    millieb14 said:
    My LO rolled a few times right at 3 months. Then was totally uninterested. All of the sudden at 5 months she is a rolling maniac and sleeps on her tummy or side, literally overnight. I've heard from other moms too that they will often just suddenly decide to use a skill. Keep doing TT and I am sure your babe will surprise you one day! 
    Yes! My boy was the same way, then for a few weeks he was rolling over only to sleep...and now the last few days he's rolling over the place. It really happened over night. I also will put a toy out (or he finds something interesting) and that really motivates him to roll over.

I wouldn't worry, he'll get there on his own time. Keep doing tummy time, encourage him to roll with toys or your face, whatever sparks his interest!
  • Mine rolls over all the time and has started to army crawl. I just want time to slow down! He however shows no interest in sitting up unless I pick him up
  • My daughter rolls back to tummy everyday to sleep, but has only rolled tummy to back a few times. She can sit unassisted if I put her there for awhile, and hasn't started army crawling. She's five months.