May 2016 Moms

Relationships after babies

Curious to hear how your relationships changed after the first couple of weeks since LO.

In what way did your relationship change after having LO? 

Are you guys still making time for each other? 

Do you allow each other some space and to have some personal time alone? 

Re: Relationships after babies

• In what way did your relationship change after having LO? We are stronger as a couple but still the same two people as what we were. 

Yip. Cuddles have increased and we still make sure to keep up with our favourite shows. We are going on a date this weekend (a quick one close to home mind you haha). 

We never had much alone time before, but rather alone time together - like I will read when he plays games. That's still the same except for LO sleeping in his RnP by us now. He does grant me showers and naps though for which I am super thankful! 

All in all I think we are doing great relationship-wise. 
  • Loading the player...
  • MsIanMsIan member
    We're pretty much the same. We were always kind of homebodies with the weekly date night out. 

Yes. Last weekend we went to the movies together. MH is always more attracted to me now (it feels like). We try to have some "alone" time even though the baby is always there.

We let each other nap--he lets me nap more (I feel a little bad about it). He let me go out and get his nails done. He goes to work each day. And I'm going to go to my friend's birthday lunch on the 11th. Trying to maintain some semblance of normalcy. 
  • In what way did your relationship change after having LO? I think our relationship has pretty much stayed the same. My DH and I were always pretty good about dividing up the chores and helping each other out, so that continues to be the case thank God. 

Are you guys still making time for each other? Yes! Although we are both sleep deprived and we try to nap when we could, we definitely don't hesitate to call one of the grandmas to babysit. This past Sunday we attended a family BBQ and left LO with grandma. We've actually had this discussion a few times during the past couple of weeks that we need to always make time for ourselves and we should never allow our relationship to suffer- we have to stay strong in order to bring LO up the way we deem fit. 

Do you allow each other some space and to have some personal time alone? Yes again! DH has gone out for a couple of hours with the boys and he gets his video game time often lol. On the flip side, he always asks if I would like a nap or if I want to go out somewhere- so far so good :smile: 
  • Curious to hear how your relationships changed after the first couple of weeks since LO.

I'd say he has a new respect/love for me having gone through surgery and taking care of his child. He's proud of his wife. :)
    If anything, our relationship has gotten stronger. We talked about how I was nervous about the strain having a newborn would have on our relationship. Luckily, she's been very easy and my recovery has been great. We're a little tired but not sleep deprived. So that definitely helps. 

Are you guys still making time for each other? Yes!! DD1 has been in the pictures from day 1 for DH and I. So we knew how important it is to make time for one another. The baby sleeps pretty well so we get our time at night. We do date nights with the baby in tow because she'll just sleep. 

Kind of. DH's personal time seems to be work. It's hard for him to get time off and he loves what he does. He went back to work the day after we came home from the hospital (and we got home the day after a c section). I know he appreciated me being ok with that. And he'll watch her if I need to do anything. He's glad to take her when he gets home since he's been at work. 

• In what way did your relationship change after having LO? 
    I feel like our relationship has taken a hit. SO works all day with long travel times depending on the job site so he's been gone from 5 am to 8 pm all this week. That leaves little time for us to be a couple, little time for him to be a dad and little time for him to rest. Until yesterday I couldn't even look at him without crying. It felt like my love had diminished. It hurt him so badly which made me feel worse because he would tell me all the time how much he loves me and how much it has grown since having LO. I blame baby blues and lack of available intimate time, but our relationship just isn't the same. 
    He is so exhausted when he comes home and I always have a baby stuck to my boob, so not really. 

We spend all day away from each other. I miss him and our relationship. Finding a balance with a newborn is so hard and I feel like it might even be the downfall because of my baby blues and ridiculous mind. 

• @1mae2016 I am sure it will get easier! Lots of ladies struggle with baby blues and I agree with @Bltbear82 focus on quality not quantity! Good luck hun x 

It's definitely brought out a new appreciation for each other. Seeing DH become such a great dad and him interact with Pollie has made me love him more than ever. Our time together has changed slightly as now we both stare and talk to each other about how much we love Pollie. 

We still spend a lot of time together, once he's home from work we do pretty much everything together. We've always made sure to go to bed at the same time, which is nice because then it gives time to cuddle and to spend the last minutes of the day together. 
    If one of us wants space and alone time then we give it but where he works all day we tend to want to spend time together when he's not working. 
  • JoMunsonJoMunson member
    edited June 2016
    I honestly don't feel like our relationship changed that much. If anything, there's just a quietness and a happiness to our relationship 24/7. We had a fight today and we're just cracking up the whole time, DH even was holding the baby and said "Ezra, get mom! She's being crazy!" Cracked me up! 
    I did ask him if watching my give birth changed how he saw me, he said he always saw me as kindof a whiner and seeing me go through something so intense and making it through showed him that when push comes to shove I can make it through.

We try. Our time together before Ezra was watching documentaries or fun videos or even just being in a room together, and those were easy things to fold the baby into.

Because were EBF I don't get too much time by myself, but we try. If DH is playing some types of video games I'll just hang with Ezra. Usually I'll have to ask DH for some time but I think that's because he knows how much I want to be with my baby. DH saw me looking exhausted today and he made me food and I said "do you think you could take Ez for like 20 minutes?" And he said "I can take him for an hour and a half if he's already fed and changed". I just heard him cry and saw them walk around but he didn't come down to give the baby back. It's weird and nice :)
    I've fallen in love with my husband all over again. He's an amazing father and partner. I honestly expected the newborn phase to put a strain on our relationship, but if anything it has strengthened it. It's like we both found new traits in each other (brought on by parenthood) that we neglected to notice before and that have given us a whole new appreciation & love for each other. 

It's challenging, but we try. Usually we have 1-2 hours of time together after DD's bedtime when we just enjoy each other's company. Throughout the day we tend to split our chores, so we don't get as much, but it's still more than we did while we were both working full-time. When the weather allows, we'll take DD for a walk in the afternoon, which we also both enjoy together.  

Definitely! This is so important for us and also what has kept me sane from being cooped up with a preemie. He usually offers to take over an afternoon of childcare at least twice a week to allow me personal time (meeting a friend, getting my hair done, reading a book, sleeping in...) and I return the favor to him. Works brilliantly for both of us. 
    <3 Welcome, Baby Lola!  <3
    Lorenza Justice, born 04/24/2016, 34w6d, 4lbs 8oz, 17 inches
    Home, healthy & happy :)

~ A., A. & L.J. - our family is complete ~
  • @Nicbert1214 I promise it gets better! I had a meltdown when DH went back to work and missed him so much (literally cried to him daily when he got home because I missed and loved him so much lol!). Once we made it past that first week and I got into a routine of caring for LO by myself, the hormones settled down and I started getting out more during the day with LO and it was magical. Take time for yourself but don't get too cooped up inside because that's when the feels begin! Get out and about with LO - I promise you'll feel rejuvenated! 
  • @Nicbert1214 I promise it gets better! I had a meltdown when DH went back to work and missed him so much (literally cried to him daily when he got home because I missed and loved him so much lol!). Once we made it past that first week and I got into a routine of caring for LO by myself, the hormones settled down and I started getting out more during the day with LO and it was magical. Take time for yourself but don't get too cooped up inside because that's when the feels begin! Get out and about with LO - I promise you'll feel rejuvenated! 
    Thank you so much for this. It's nice to know that others have been in my shoes. Yea I really have to start getting out when DH goes back to work- staying inside all
    day will be torture otherwise. I am looking forward to the better times that lie ahead- I know they are they, it's just hard to see them sometimes unfortunately. 
  • @Kennedy0830 and @Nicbert1214 this was exactly me after my first. I cried because we weren't brushing our teeth and going to bed at the same time. Hormones are a maj bitch. This time I had the baby blues at the same time and it was bc it was no longer my family of 3, and my toddler was getting less time. The new normal is awesome, it just takes a while to adjust to. It's totally ok to be sad, my best advice is to talk it through no matter how crazy it may sound, because releasing it is so much better than holding it in!!
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
  • @Kennedy0830 and @Nicbert1214 this was exactly me after my first. I cried because we weren't brushing our teeth and going to bed at the same time. Hormones are a maj bitch. This time I had the baby blues at the same time and it was bc it was no longer my family of 3, and my toddler was getting less time. The new normal is awesome, it just takes a while to adjust to. It's totally ok to be sad, my best advice is to talk it through no matter how crazy it may sound, because releasing it is so much better than holding it in!!
    This is so me- I get super thrown off when my schedule is just the least bit off! Couple that along with a ton less sleep and I'm just a disaster! Yea luckily my husband and I have a very strong relationship and we like to put everything on the table and never hold anything in. Did it take some time for your husband to get used to everything? Or is it just us hormone crazy women who go through this sort of thing? Lol
  • @Nicbert1214 I think it took me going back to work and the baby sleeping through the night and getting settled. This time around he was ready for the tears! Maternity leave isn't our reality, so it's hard of me to adjust to my new role in a situation that isn't permanent. Survival mode at its finest right now!
    Baby # 1: BFP 10/26/12: Baby girl born 7/1/13
    Baby #2: BFP 9/2/15: EDD 5/15/16
    We are still discovering what our new normal is. DH is not someone who adjusts quickly. We have had many discussion and I've tried to make some comments over the last 10 months of how our lives will be different and what exactly will be different. We both waited a little longer than others to have children so we both have been used to doing things whenever we wanted. It's been a harder transition for both of us than I thought it would be. The first week or two was really tough. DH wasn't sure what his role was and he's not someone who looks for projects or chores. When he has a list, he completes it just fine. He also has never been around babies so having one at home, with a postpartum, hormonal wife, while having just moved a few weeks earlier and just starting a new job days after DD was born, was really tough for him. There have been, and still are, bumps but we're slowly figuring things out.

We try to. DH likes his alone time. We have it worked out where he goes to work, spends dinner and an hour or two with me and DD, then has his own time (bumming online and usually gaming with his buddies). He'll also come up to help in the night with DD. Our quality time alone has definitely decreased. It used to be just the two of us all the time, after all. When we moved, his computer went from being in the living room at the old place to being in the man cave in the basement at our new place. I'm glad he has that space to play his board games but I miss him being in the same room when he's on his computer surfing the internet or gaming. He needs to be in the basement as our apartment is small and he'd wake up DD if he were on the first floor but even having him in the same room to have the banter and one-line comments was nice. I don't get that now. We have decided to go out together, just the two of us, once a month. My parents are living with us Monday-Friday through the summer and right now, are the only people I trust to watch DD. They are happy to watch her whenever we want to go somewhere on a weeknight. We have taken advantage of that a few times but only once has it been for quality time together.

We both need our alone time. Our problem is we have trouble balancing it. For DH, he can have too much alone time gaming and I can have too much alone time with DD. We are working on it. There are days I get hormonal and need more interaction with people. With DH, he can be content staying in the basement gaming all day (I don't think he'll ever lose that). I'm the one who brings him out of his cave and he says he's glad he quits for a while and does something outside but at first, it can take some convincing and encouraging. 
  • In what way did your relationship change after having LO? This time our relationship hasn't changed much. Although I've been a bit jealous DH is able to be more active with DD1 than I am. DH is very supportive and helpful when I need him to be without asking (most times).

Are you guys still making time for each other? We are fortunate to have my mom live with us so she's able to watch the kids for us if we wanna run out real quick or something. This past weekend we went to dinner. Next month we're going to a Guns N Roses concert. We also plan to take a day trip to KY to visit some friends of ours who are going to have their first baby.

Do you allow each other some space and to have some personal time alone? DH works in the evenings so we have that time apart. We like being around each other bc our work most times doesn't allow it. DH takes some personal time when he gets home from work when everyone is asleep.

Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)