February 2016 Moms

Baby's first cold and conjunctivitis ;(

LO has been at daycare for 2 weeks now and already has his first cold. His nose is stuffy and he has a terrible cough. Also conjunctivitis/pink eye. I feel so bad for thre little guy. I hate seeing him like this. He has been in decent spirits but has had his fussiness. Tonight he had a good meltdown- he wouldn't settle down at bedtime. 

Has as anyone else had a sick baby yet?  How are you coping?

trying to decide if I stay home with him or take him to daycare. I think he can go bc he doesn't have a fever but I feel like I should be home with him. DH has a fever and is coming down w something now so he might be home also!
Married 4-27-13
TTC for 1.5 yrs
41 yrs old; DH is 37
April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
Feb 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 1st IUI, BFN 
Mar 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 2nd IUI, BFN 
May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
Full term healthy baby boy born on 2-11-16
Jan 29, 2018: FET 
Feb 8. 2018: BFP! :)
Mar 6: weak heartbeat. :(

Re: Baby's first cold and conjunctivitis ;(

• Yeah DD had rsv at 6 weeks and we all passed it around for a week or so.  Never had a fever either just the cough and stuffy nose.  We used the nose freida a lot and that helped but her appetite was less and sleep was a little rough.  Also had her humidifier going. I'm so sorry for the pink eye tho!  Poor little man.  I suppose with kids in daycare it's only a matter of time before they get sick but man it's so hard to not be able to just make it better. 
  • We have all been sick since starting daycare. My two year old was kept by my grandmother form birth until I returned to work after my second child on April 11th. This is what we have had so far. 2 colds (both girls), Bronchitis (both girls), Stomach Bug (2 year old) and now strep throat (4 month old)!

The littlest one (4 months) actually gave me the strep throat! Crazy I know. But the pediatrician did say that it takes about 6 months or so before their immune systems are built up enough. Then expect about twice a year to get sick , but to expect 6- 8 colds a year.

My advice would be to save your sick leave for when they actually cannot go with a fever since you have only been back two weeks. They will be more sick days trust me that you will need your leave for.  There is nothing you can really do for them with a cold anyway. I am so sorry but I completely understand how you feel.

• Loading the player...
  • Pink eye is highly contagious. There's a good chance you can't take him, even if he doesn't have a fever, so double check. Daycare kiddos get sick a ton in the beginning, but I think overall they end up with better immune systems. It's so hard to see your baby sick, though :( 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ambdtbambdtb member
    I never knew how hard it would be to see the little one sick.   :'( We didn't take him to daycare. I didn't see pink eye in the policy as a reason to stay home but we just decided to stay home anyway and didn't bother asking. I'm still working at home  but DH, also sick, also home, is able to help so I can work and care for the little one in between his naps.  I feel so bad dropping him off at daycare when he is sick. I know I will have to get over that!!   This is what we signed up for so we have to deal.  :s
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
    Feb 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 1st IUI, BFN 
    Mar 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 2nd IUI, BFN 
    May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
    Full term healthy baby boy born on 2-11-16
    Jan 29, 2018: FET 
    Feb 8. 2018: BFP! :)
    Mar 6: weak heartbeat. :(
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited May 2016
    FWIW, my mom is my daycare and obviously has no sick rules, but I have stayed home from work when DD1 was really sick. It's just too hard to leave them behind sometimes :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ugh our little man had his first cold about 4 weeks ago and the cough is still lingering! His stuffiness is mostly gone, and he's doing a lot better, but baby colds are heartbreaking! I did saline drops, nasal aspirator/nose frida, cool mist humidifier, mattress propping, taking him in the bathroom with a hot shower running, baby Tylenol, basically everything we could. I had gotten strep and conjunctivitis right before and then got his cold again right after he did. No fun. Couldn't sing lullabies to my little man for weeks! He never got a fever or fussy, thank goodness! I think the nose frida worked better than the aspirator, especially when combined with the saline.
  • nose frida is the best invention ever! I agree 100%
  • We got a nasty cold two weeks into daycare as well.  The nose frieda was our best friend.  We also ran a cool mist humidifier in her room and diffused an immune booster essential oil.   We now just diffuse the EO for her at night and we haven't had to use her nose frieda for the last week and a half.   
  • Beachgirl218 what EO do you diffuse in LOs room. I have been hesitant to use them with my LO but use them on my older kiddos.