April 2016 Moms

Awake Activities

LO will be 6 weeks tomorrow and sleeps most of the day of course. I am trying to introduce him to some toys (visual stimulation) and personally play with him since he's becoming more aware of us. But he seems to get overstimulated very quickly and cries. Typically he'll eat, stay awake for a few mins and then begin to get sleepy. I'll lay him on the play mat for a few mins but he begins to get fussy after a bit.

My question is how long are your LOs awake for to play or just be there (not sleeping or crying)? 

Re: Awake Activities

• JayeSkylarJayeSkylar member
    edited May 2016
    If we stay at home he'll be awake for a good hour to two hours after a feeding unless he's not feeling well. If we go out and visit people he will probably only take a very short nap the entire time we're out.
  • Our babe is 5 weeks now. As dh and I are on leave she will sleep from 11 to approx 9.30 , waking up 3 times during the night. She naps for 3 hours at noon but refuses to nap afterwards. I wonder if that is why she is throwing tanytims each evening. Overtired maybe? In her awake timewe talk to her and carry her around. 
  • Loading the player...
  • * throwing tantrums
  • redseligredselig member
    edited May 2016
    After eating and a diaper change, LO is usually awake for an hour to an hour and a half before it's time for a nap. During the awake time he stays in the bouncer, plays on the playmat, is cradled and sang to by us. He's very chill and is happy to just look around. He'll fuss when he wants a change of scene or when he's tired. LO is 8 weeks young. 

*Edited to add age
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS is 6 weeks and his total awake time (including eating, diaper change and a little playtime) is between 45 and 55 minutes. Occasionally he will stay awake for an hour, but often by then he's overtired and it's hard to get him back down for a nap. 
  • About 30-45 minutes normally. 

Yesterday he was a complete weirdo and stayed awake 5 hours straight, until 3am. Some days when we have had company during the day, it seems to really screw him up like that :( Poor guy. 

As for activities, I "Boop" his nose with my finger, sing to him, give him Eskimo kisses, and have found some baby Einstein videos for newborns on YouTube that I'll sometimes put on the tv. His favorite activity seems to be walking around in my arms looking around, while I just talk to him about what he's looking at. 
  • edited May 2016
    Mine needs to be back in bed within an hour of waking. I've found that the less I "play" with him, the better. He has more than enough entertainment from his siblings. He's 4wks right now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • To all the ladies whose babies are awake for no more than 1 hour - how long are the naps? After a 3-4 hour nap at noon our girl refuses to nap until bedtime which is currently aprox 10 pm. So jealous of the frequent naps you are getting. 
  • Yeah, you all are having VERY different baby experiences! Thomas will be six weeks on Tuesday and he will sleep for an hour at a time during the day and then be awake for 3-4 hours, repeated throughout the day. He sleeps with three or so breaks from 10 pm to 8 am usually, but otherwise he's mostly awake.

We do activity mat time on front and back, we sing, we read books, we dance around the house, we cry (a lot). He also eats every three hours for about half an hour so that takes a good chunk of the day. I'm really glad I'm working 4-5 hours a day and my husband takes him the other half day, because work is so much less exhausting (and better paid)!
  • To all the ladies whose babies are awake for no more than 1 hour - how long are the naps? After a 3-4 hour nap at noon our girl refuses to nap until bedtime which is currently aprox 10 pm. So jealous of the frequent naps you are getting. 
    DS typically will nap for about 1 1/2-2 hours at a time. He's awake less than one hour regardless of the time of day - I honestly think his waketime right after getting up in the morning might be the shortest!
    I don't allow him to nap longer than 2-2 1/2 hours during the day (unless he is overtired/has missed or skipped a nap); I will wake him if he sleeps longer than that. 
    We do have a "witching hour" in the early evening during which he will only take catnaps between 5 and 7. 
  • mcb2016mcb2016 member
    I've read a few books and sang a few songs but feel like Ive been lacking in the playtime for baby department. It helps to see ideas of what others are doing with their little ones.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• LO is 8 weeks old and needs to take a nap after being awake for an hour to an hour and a half. For playtime, I talk to him, sing to him amd try to make him smile. I put a blanket on the floor and lay him down and interact with him by playing with his legs and kissing his cheeks. I hold him so he is looking over my shoulder and we will walk around the house looking at everything. Lately he has decided that he is a big boy now and needs to stand all the time. So I hold him under his arms and he likes to stand on my lap or the floor and he likes to "jump." He isnt interested in toys yet, but LOVES the ceiling fan! He stares at it a lot and smiles up at it, it's ridiculously cute!
  • jmoew1jmoew1 member
    My baby will maybe take a 2hr nap during the day. Other than that he must be held! Cannot get anything done! But he has been sleeping well at night *knock on wood*
  • At 2 months, I try get him to sleep after an hour but can stay up for 2 and be content. We sing and play on activity map or go for a walk. He's also content just hanging out in his bouncy seat or laying on a blanket on the floor.