September 2016 Moms

Acid reflux

audi681audi681 member
edited May 2016 in September 2016 Moms
24 weeks and my baby is in my stomach. I can't sleep at night bc of acid reflux. I'm going insane. 

My last dr. (I just moved states) told me I could only take tums, but they are not working and I am dangerously close to exceeding dosage. I have a new dr appt on the 7th of June. Does anyone take Zantac or Prilo? I need something... I can't do this anymore!

Re: Acid reflux

• In Canada there is a liquid medication called Gavascontin (?sp) that's safe for pregnancy and I believe is over the counter. It is whitish in colour and tastes minty
  • My hearburn hasn't been bad (yet) this pregnancy, but I took Prilosec for the last 10-ish weeks of my first pregnancy. 

• Loading the player...
  • CRich15CRich15 member
    I may or may not exceed tums dosage at least 3 days a week..
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had terrible acid reflux with my first pregnancy and again with this one and I use Prilosec to treat it. My doctor gave me a list of approved meds to take while pregnant and it was on there.
  • 618mom22boys618mom22boys member
    edited May 2016
    I take zantac.  I usually take one in the morning and one before bed.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • I use Zantac too.  You can either take it twice a day, or when you're having symptoms, or before a meal you know will hurt.  I recommend taking it before bed, and then either at breakfast or lunch.  Then if you need to you can pop a tums or two any other time you reflux.
  • I exceed the dosage on tums like it's nobody's business. I basically treat them like candies. They don't even count as medicine in my head.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have GERD so I've been on prescription strength Omeprazol for years and have been able to continue it through pregnancy. It's a God-send. I want to say it's the same thing as Prilosec.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• estellegettyestellegetty member
    edited May 2016
    I take Zantac and way too many tums. The Zantac def helps. I feel terrible for poopooing my husband's heartburn in the past...I feel like someone is getting me back big time for the way I feel every single time I eat anything...ha! 
  • bnt1023bnt1023 member
    Try drinking sparkling water...or anything carbonated like Sprite. I drink a sparkling water in a can every day and it helps!! At least try it. Everyone is different, but this helps me and a few others i know. 
  • I've had gastritis for a number of years (where your stomach acid gets too acidic and starts irritating your stomach lining) and that's made the heartburn terrible! I'm having heartburn and reflux on top of the pain now so I'm taking Zantac 150, twice a day every day. For me, I find it helpful to take before lunch and before dinner. This is unfortunately not enough so I still take Tums but I still suffer through it. My OB said I could add Omeprazole (prilosec) to the Zantac as they work in different ways but he'd rather I didn't, as do I, so I won't be. I've taken Omeprazole for years but I'm trying to hold off until birth.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • ThscaryThscary member
    Zantac (ranitidine) or Pepcid (famotidine) are safe to take during pregnancy. I usually recommend these be tried before trying Prilosec, Nexium, or Prevacid. 
  • audi681audi681 member
    Thanks everyone. I went out yesterday and bought Zantac 75... I actually slept last night without waking up 4 times with bile in my mouth. Worse. Symptom. Ever. 

@bnt1023 thanks for the advice, but I was born unable to burp! I've been carbonation free for years. 
  • ThscaryThscary member
    audi681 said:
    but I was born unable to burp! I've been carbonation free for years. 
    Me too!!! Drives me insane, because my throat does weird gurgling noises because of it. I
    thought I was the only one who couldn't burp
  • audi681audi681 member
    @thscary isn't it the most annoying thing ever?! And it's 100x worse during pregnancy!! I find that if I lay on my left side, I gurgle all night long. If I lay on my right side, I would get acid reflux. I'm so happy the Zantac freed up a side I can sleep on!
  • ThscaryThscary member
    @audi681 glad you will have some relief at night! The gurgling is worst for me when I am at work. Soo embarrassing 
  • I don't know how bad this is, but I don't even pay attention to the TUMS dosage. I'm fairly certain I exceed the recommended number several times a week.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • I'm with everyone else, in my head TUMS is just a useful chalky candy. I don't even consider that it is medicine. I have not started on anything yet but the girl in the office next to mine swore by Pepcid AC during her most recent pregnancy, so I might try it. I think it's category B. I have to sleep propped up on a complicated system of pillows at night or I have zero chance of walking through the fire, as it were.
  • I feel the same way about Tums! One thing though, if you're prone to kidney stones, you may want to avoid excessive Tums use, my friend got kidney stones while pregnant and her dr attributed it to her frequent Tums usage.
  • ab920ab920 member
    I have it every night and learned that ice water with heavy amounts of lemon cures it! 
  • RG1RG1 member
    @audi681 @ThscaryI also can't burp and thought I was the only one! If I drink pop really fast, instead of bupring, I do this like reverse hiccup thing and it hurts so bad. I always thought your body would just know how to burp....but nope!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker