January 2017 Moms
Options

Knitting/crocheting/sewing/other crafters

Anyone want to talk about things you'd like to make for baby?
TW: MMC
BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
———
Diagnoses and Treatments
PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
———
BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

Re: Knitting/crocheting/sewing/other crafters

• Options
    I am just so excited to actually be making things for a wee one of my own. I've had some close friends have babies in the past year or so, so I've knit a lot of booties and sweaters, and I've just started a sweater for my own little squish.

I actually just started a really big sweater project for myself a month ago, sort of like a knitting version of reverse psychology. I was bummed I didn't have a kiddo to be knitting for, so I said "I know, I'll find a sweater for myself, invest in some really nice yarn, and bam, I'll get knocked up"... worked! Now I have no interest in it, but I probably should tackle it now, otherwise I'll be digging it out of my basket in 5 years and trying to remember what on earth I was starting on with it...
  • Options
    So this is terrible but I had originally started knitting a cute hat and matching scarf for someone else who was having a baby a year ago, and things came up and I never got around to finishing it so...I'm picking it back up for my own little one now :P the yarn is pretty and has several shades of brown plus a tiny bit of turquoise scattered throughout. I will probably make a blanket at some point too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Jan '17 August siggy challenge: Cat fails

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't knit or crochet but I would like to learn!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    MC #1 January 2013
    DS born 4/06/14
    MC #2 August 2015
    CP November 2015
    MC#3 January 2016
    BFP 5/11/16  EDD 1/19/17
  • Options
    I don't knit or crochet but I would like to learn!
    I learned both from the books knitting for dummies and crochet for dummies but if I had to do it over again I would probably just watch YouTube videos - if you decide to try don't be easily discouraged - it takes a good bit of practice to make even stitches but once you have the basics down you'll add new skills really quickly! 
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• Options
    cjs260cjs260 member
    @mudderbear Exactly the pattern I use to make blankets for my friends! I'll be starting one for mine very soon! 

Also, if anyone has a pattern for a stuffed deer, I would really appreciate it. There was one in an old crochet magazine, but I can't find an original copy. L

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• Options
    mjolkmjolk member
    I am an avid knitter. I've made baby blankets, gorgeous dresses, hats, and a winter coat. I want to start my baby blanket right now! 

but my yarn shop would get suspicious and I want to hear a heartbeat first just in case.

if I go with cloth diapering I'm looking forward to making wool covers, too.
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• Options
    No knitting or crocheting, but I do have a sewing machine that I'm learning to use! Hoping to start off with some simple projects for this baby, some burp cloths perhaps, and then do something a bit more difficult. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I crochet, but never tried like booties or hats or anything, so far just blankets and scarves. I will probably make the baby a blanket!
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • Options
    Literally was about to start this thread haha
    I just started a crochet blanket using the gender neutral yarn (yellow, pink, blue, green, white) and also planning to make a soft/fluffy hat to match :blush: 
  • Options
    I'm so Jealous of all the skills. I have a sewing machine, burp clothes sounds like an easy thing to try out first @nolemomma14

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I had originally tried to teach myself to knit, but I was always so tense that I decided to quit because I was trying to do it to help me relax and release tension not make it worse, lol. So I recently taught myself how to crochet and I'm still trying to get the basics down. I had seen this really cute blanket on pinterest that used 3 different colors, however, I have found that the blanket is going to be very thick and heavy. So I likely will use it as a mat for tummy time or a floor mat or something. Next thing on my list is to learn how to do a chevron pattern (planning to use gray, white, and a light turquoise color). Now all I need is some time. :smile: 
    *** TW ***
    Me 31, DH 30
    Married: 07/2014, TTC since 12/2015
    BFP #1: 1/1/16, MC 1/14/16 (6 weeks), D&C 2/5/16 (9 weeks)
    BFP #2: 5/25/16, MC 6/23/16 (8 weeks), D&C 6/24/16, 2nd D&C for retained tissue and fibroid removal 9/1/16
    BFP #3: 12/24/16  EDD 09/04/2017
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    fionnualajanefionnualajane member
    edited May 2016
    My mum took up knitting a few years ago. She sticks mainly to blankets that then get donated to the charities that send them on to third world or war torn countries. When I decided to tell her I was pregnant, I did so by getting her a pattern book called "What to knit when you are expecting". She twigged straight away. I've put my advance orders in.  :)
  • Options
    I crochet and sew. I have a degree in fashion design so I love to make things. I've always wanted to crochet a blanket but we have so many throws that I've never been able to justify it but I'm definitely going to make a baby blanket! I also am doing the gray and yellow elephant theme so I want to crochet an elephant. 
  • Options
    What a great thread. I used to crochet. I never did anything complicated...a few blankets and scarves. I'd really like to learn to knit though. Do y'all think I could pick up via YouTube? It sounds like you were able to @ceclarlinetlo
    I don't know how much confidence I have in being able to teach myself, but I guess it's worth a shot! I'm a very visual learner, so maybe YouTube will be best. 
  • Options
    I made this for my sister who is due end of August. I will definitely be making one for my own little bub. And probably a hat or two. When I was pregnant with my girl last time I made about 15 hats
    Wow thus is beautiful. Can you link the pattern for us? :)
  • Options
    cjs260cjs260 member
    I made this for my sister who is due end of August. I will definitely be making one for my own little bub. And probably a hat or two. When I was pregnant with my girl last time I made about 15 hats
    Wow thus is beautiful. Can you link the pattern for is? :)

QBF
    https://www.vivaciouslyvintage.com/2015/04/easy-beginner-chevron-crochet-baby.html?m=1

• Options
    @LoneStar21416 I picked up both crocheting and knitting from YouTube. There are some really great videos out there, and sometimes you have to rewind and watch some parts a few times to make sure you have it down, but once you've learned the basics and how to read a pattern, there are sooooo many different things you can make! I would start out with making something flat and square/rectangle like a dish cloth and then move into knitting/crocheting in the round (like for socks and hats) after you have that down.

Side note, I don't know if any of you have a Ravelry account, but they have tons and tons of patterns of there, and some of them you'd have to pay for, but a lot of them are free.

Jan '17 August siggy challenge: Cat fails

• Options
    mjolkmjolk member
    If anyone wants to be friends on Rav we can PM usernames? :smile: 

Personally I couldn't learn knitting on my own. I ended up taking a free class to pick up absolute basics, and I still learn things from other knitters. But I tend to learn from doing.
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• Options
    xinranxinran member
    edited May 2016
    I don't knit or crotchet but I do use much smaller threads and make bobbin lace. I think I may well pick up some motif based designs and do some for the baby. It is pretty time consuming but for particularly special outfits...I do sew too so with a combination of the two I think I could make sense really nice special occasion stuff.
  • Options
    I can crochet, and I have done a very small amount of knitting.  I prefer to sew though.  I have made all 4 of my boys their own quilts so I will do that for this baby as well.  Once we know if this baby is a girl/boy I will probably add some extra sewing projects in.  If a boy, we don't really need much since we have had 4 boys in the past 6 years. If we somehow get a miracle and have a girl, I will sew all the things.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Options
    I'm crocheting a baby blanket. My first thing to crochet EVER and I love it. 
    Let's just hope I can finish it before he gets here!

Wow that colour is beautiful! I've never crocheted, looks complicated! Good work. 
  • Options
    I crocheted a bright pink blanket for my LO. It took me about 3wks I think. So excited to wrap her up in it.
  • Options
    I want to learn all of thissss
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    @shlecka - I taught myself basic crochet from the book crochet for dummies and I learned more complicated stitches from YouTube videos. The hardest thing to learn is figuring out how tight your tension needs to be and how to be consistant with your tension - takes a bit of practice and no one can teach you that per se - but once you have that down crochet is very easy. 
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• Options
    I quilt and sew. I won't have time to make a quilt for myself, but my mom is. After I get done with two other quilting projects for customers, I'll be making the curtains, bumper pads, fitted sheets and some changing pad covers. I think...if I have time. At LEAST I'll make the curtains and pads, 10 weeks will move quickly!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Options
    @canavara I love everything about that (minus the pregnancy loss of course) 
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    ———

• Options
    @canavara So precious. I think it'll be a great story to tell him one day! 

• Options
    @canavara Yep those are amazing. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    @canavara so meaningful! 
  • Options
    @canavara what a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing !